• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new BBQ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you enjoy all the chemicals that are used to stick those pellets together.
Not for me.
They don't have chemical binders. They are literally compressed wood. Where on earth did you hear that little nugget? A quick search shows multiple sources showing how they're made and that (at least the major brands, which we use) they have zero chemical fillers or binders.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you enjoy all the chemicals that are used to stick those pellets together.
I don't know what you're talking about, the ones I find are pure compressed hardwood shavings.

Except for the ones that are compressed corn cobs or whatever else gives a lignin/cellulose mix.
I've never seen any like that, and wouldn't use them if I did.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
One of my wood door manufacturer's is selling pellets made from the scrap parts of the doors. The filler in most solid core doors is NOT wood, is particle board. So lots of glue. Another company that makes the laminated wood beams is doing the same thing. So you would need to check the source of your pellets.

I can't use a pellet device, yet I can have a wood burning fireplace...go figure that one. And to justify a pellet and time it would need to be at the cottage. I'm not generally in the condo on weekends...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
set
I can't use a pellet device, yet I can have a wood burning fireplace...go figure that one. And to justify a pellet and time it would need to be at the cottage. I'm not generally in the condo on weekends...

Same for us. Most units in our complex have pellet stoves but we aren't allowed pellet grills on our decks.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
They don't have chemical binders. They are literally compressed wood. Where on earth did you hear that little nugget? A quick search shows multiple sources showing how they're made and that (at least the major brands, which we use) they have zero chemical fillers or binders.

All pellets use a binder and lubricant for the pellet mill.
It might be naturally sourced like lignin.
Or it might be any one of the commercially available binders like this one based on corn starch.
Matam Pellet Binder
Here is a scientific article on the subject.
Pellet Binders
Make your own mess but I think using pellets for grilling is asking for it and my career was with Dow Chemical.
Hardwood lump charcoal is the real deal, not briquettes or pellets.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Curious on views of compressed coconut shell briquettes. I've been massively impressed with them so far - zero residue on food, very long burn times at consistently high temps, and very little ash

James

Out There
Instructor
These guys use soy bean oil in wood pellets.
Is burning that bad?

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As long as you cover it a cheap one is fine if you don't have to assemble.

I used charcoal and wood for years then got a vermont castings from a guy that won a big grill at some charity.

After several years it is still very presentable. A few cold and hot spots but cooks properly. The baffle is falling apart a little bit though its still intact. The new 3 burner grills go for $900, sounds pricey.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
These guys use soy bean oil in wood pellets.
Is burning that bad?
traeger pellets are horrible. They also are mostly alder with cherry or hickory. I use B&B from academy 100% hickory or whatever for a lot less $$$

James

Out There
Instructor
A3AABE32-B945-45FE-8842-A787D3654E05.jpeg
$519 Spirit 3 burner. If your not that into grilling, 2 burners are fine for $100 less. But, let’s hear the grill masters views.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoy using the Charbroil Patio Caddy. Small footprint yet large enough and heats evenly. The one in this picture shows a small propane tank but a large tank fits as well.
View attachment 136389

I can second that, a really effective grill with a small footprint but decent grilling area. We had one during one of our condo sojourns.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 136460
$519 Spirit 3 burner. If your not that into grilling, 2 burners are fine for $100 less. But, let’s hear the grill masters views.

Since I don't cook on hardwood much anymore I don't qualify as a gillmaster. The burgers steaks and fish just aren't the same.

For the convenience of propane that Weber seems to be a decent grill and reasonable price.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll throw another :thumb: at Weber.

We have a Genesis on the patio and a Q for travel/camping/etc. Both are fantastic. If we got the Q first, I would have considered using that as our only grill.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
YIKES! I would have to move. I only use charcoal and real wood logs.

We can grill in the parking lot but not on the deck. We do have a wood stove so we could cook on that but it would get way too hot in the summer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I keep eyeballing this one, the Weber Traveler, for deck and camping. It's big enough for 4 good size steaks and I have other ways to burn bigger cuts of meat.
View attachment 136360
That would be a replacement for our current Coleman traveler that we have, when/if it ever dies. Its pretty reliable though and as long as I keep it clean...

Damn those Weber's are expensive. Maybe we're not making in Canada anymore. I know I've seen the sign off the 401 in the Cambridge area.

Though the Q does looking interesting. Lots of stuff N/A already. Some people didn't upgrade last year it looks like!
I was just goint to suggest the Spirit from Weber.
There are a few affordable options. Do you have room for this size?

View attachment 136460

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
We can grill in the parking lot but not on the deck. We do have a wood stove so we could cook on that but it would get way too hot in the summer.
I cook on the grill (Webber Kettle) or smoker (2 barrel) for most meals during the 8-9 months out of the year. Lump charcoal and apple or mesquite are my go to heat.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you’re going gas of whatever type, cast iron grates are good. They’re not as important with charcoal because that gets hotter. Anecdotally, I’d say those make the most difference in a low end gas grill than without.

When you look at the price of cast iron grates alone, it’s like $80-100+. hose are plain iron. Even if they’re pre-seasoned, you have to oil them all the time till you build up a good film. (It’s pretty easy, but easier not to.) If you don’t, and live where there’s humidity and water, they’ll rust like crazy during the non grilling period.
I don’t get thick cast stainless steel grates. Stainless has much worse conductivity than cast iron.
This may help-

Sponsor