• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new ski around a 100 underfoot

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking to add replace a ski in my quiver somewhere around a 100 underfoot or less. Knees do not like wider. I have a pair of Head Kore 93's which I really like. Tried the Mindbender 99ti and liked the way they handled but 63 yr old legs did not like the weight. Got sore from the knees down might have been to stiff. Weigh around 190 5'10. Will use them for when I patrol on powder days. Used to have Dynastar legend 96 skis but the people I ski with patrollers and instructors say my sking improved with the Head or K2's less smearing I guess. Would think advanced would be the ability level. Skied mostly on the coast this year but might go back to the dryer colder interior. So more powder I hope. Been a lot of ice this year. located in the PNW.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you care if it has a speed limit that's fairly high, or if it gets slightly iffy in crud at said high end speed limit;
or for another ski option, if it has a speed limit a bit lower but skis very smoothly?

The Kore 105 is light weight, so smooth at normal speeds, in the series you like, and is very smooth also in fresh powder or crud.
But it does get tossed at a bit lower speed limit; and it might have limits in PNW wet snow too - dunno since I ski in Colorado.

The second and better option, to me, is the new Peak 104/184, which skis lighter weight in feel also (whatever its actual weight),
has a higher speed limit than the Kores (though not as high as a heavier ski such as the MB 99, the Bonafide or the Enforcer 100.
I leave all three of these skis out, since they are heavier.)

The Peak 104 is a surprising ski, amazing. And it skis so easily - much easier; just so restful but full of energy,
just a flick of the ankles, so to speak. It is versatile: a dynamite one ski quiver for many, at this 184 length.
It has a really dynamic, high energy but easy turn, of a much narrower ski, in how it feels.
It's great carving on groomers. And it kills powder/crud and any soft snow especially, in pretty much all terrain off piste, as well as on.
And it's damp (because of its "keyhole technology," that Bode developed).
Off piste, and in powder/crud, to me it beats the three heavier skis mentioned above pretty easily, effortlessly,
with a lot less swing weight. It was the biggest pleasant surprise of any ski I got on this year.

The Peak 104 skis both narrower (on piste) and wider (in soft snow/powder/crud) than its actual width.
I'd say it's easier to manuever than your Kore 93s, which is also a ski I really like, by the way.
But this ski has excellent float, better than that of much wider skis.
The Peak 104 would be easy on the knees, comparatively. It is not a ski to ride the rails on,
straight-lining or SG turning at high speed (like the three heavier skis mentioned above): it likes more turns, and makes that an easy, intuitive option,
without having to have its speed checked unnaturally as with many other skis. The things are dialed in.

I know a pro skier who gets her skis for free from a great ski brand, who told me that of the skis she demoed at the Blistergear annual ski demo and forum, Peak skis were her favorites. She got excited when she saw I'd brought out those Peak 104/184s for a 3-8" powder day, and told me eventually that she would switch the brand she skis for in a heartbeat, if they (Chris or Bode) offered. :)

Of the six new for this past season Peak models, this was the model that sold out first (in the 184 length),
and it's apparently Bode Miller and Chris Davenport's favorite Peak ski, along with the related side country and lighter weight touring option,
the Peak SC 104/184.

For both these skis at the 184 longest length that would probably be optimal for your size, one would have to wait until next year's batch comes in, probably in the summer for ordering, and in the late summer or early fall for shipping. In time for next season.

Last edited:

Sponsor