• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice about a new dog

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s a recent photo

8DA6E144-6DA5-4B7C-919F-32C2FC58EC8D.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She's so stinking cute.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ c'mon mom. The other dogs are going to laugh at me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Checking in to see how Mia is doing. Almost 20 months later.

I was thinking about her today while having a doggie play date with Gypsy and a new friend who is quite skittish.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Checking in to see how Mia is doing. Almost 20 months later.

I was thinking about her today while having a doggie play date with Gypsy and a new friend who is quite skittish.

Weird timing on this post, @Tricia

Up until about a month ago I would have said that nothing had changed from the last update but recently she's been more affectionate, which is to say she's started to be affectionate with me. She's choosing to come sit next to me on the sofa and letting me pat her instead of going to Ellen. That's never happened before. Plus about an hour ago she played with me for the first time. She always plays with Ellen, whether it's with toys or just running back and forth to her. Today she got up on the sofa and rolled on her back. I scratched her belly and she started rolling around, wiggling and play biting my hand. Stunning.

She still barks at me for the nighttime walk, though. ogsmile I don't think that'll ever change.

Gypsy still doing well, I hope?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Weird timing on this post, @Tricia

Up until about a month ago I would have said that nothing had changed from the last update but recently she's been more affectionate, which is to say she's started to be affectionate with me. She's choosing to come sit next to me on the sofa and letting me pat her instead of going to Ellen. That's never happened before. Plus about an hour ago she played with me for the first time. She always plays with Ellen, whether it's with toys or just running back and forth to her. Today she got up on the sofa and rolled on her back. I scratched her belly and she started rolling around, wiggling and play biting my hand. Stunning.

She still barks at me for the nighttime walk, though. ogsmile I don't think that'll ever change.

Gypsy still doing well, I hope?
I love to read that.
Gypsy is doing amazingly well every day.
Funny, the training facility we went to with her early on said that it can take (up to) a few years for a rescue who has "damage" to settle and really feel like things are okay.

One thing I will note is that she is mostly great but she still likes to let new dogs know that I'm her mom! (with emphasis)

I love that she is more relaxed in general.

Part of the reason this popped into my mind today was because our dog/house sitter just adopted a dog that is really skittish.
She doesn't lash out and doesn't bark but she flinches and is really cautious of her surroundings.
She is beautiful.
Her story (that the shelter told Wyatt) is that she was rescued from a house fire, stayed with a family for a few weeks but they surrendered her to a shelter. She may or maynot have been adopted and returned. (not sure on that)

The good thing is, she likes our back yard a lot. The rough moment is when Gypsy let her know "Tricia is MY MOM!"
I put Gypsy in her place and they have not had one more scuffle. Room in my heart for more than one dog.
I took them for a walk and Kaya was great with Gypsy, no skittish responses at all.
Got back to the house and she won't get near me. I wonder if its because Gypsy told her so!
The two dogs getting along great. Kaya ...not so sure about me.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love to read that.
Gypsy is doing amazingly well every day.
Funny, the training facility we went to with her early on said that it can take (up to) a few years for a rescue who has "damage" to settle and really feel like things are okay.

One thing I will note is that she is mostly great but she still likes to let new dogs know that I'm her mom! (with emphasis)

I love that she is more relaxed in general.

Part of the reason this popped into my mind today was because our dog/house sitter just adopted a dog that is really skittish.
She doesn't lash out and doesn't bark but she flinches and is really cautious of her surroundings.
She is beautiful.
Her story (that the shelter told Wyatt) is that she was rescued from a house fire, stayed with a family for a few weeks but they surrendered her to a shelter. She may or maynot have been adopted and returned. (not sure on that)

The good thing is, she likes our back yard a lot. The rough moment is when Gypsy let her know "Tricia is MY MOM!"
I put Gypsy in her place and they have not had one more scuffle. Room in my heart for more than one dog.
I took them for a walk and Kaya was great with Gypsy, no skittish responses at all.
Got back to the house and she won't get near me. I wonder if its because Gypsy told her so!
The two dogs getting along great. Kaya ...not so sure about me.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear Gypsy continues to thrive with you. I'm not at all surprised to here she claims you as her own. Mia does the same for Ellen but not me.

Mia is still skittish around strangers and other dogs like Kaya is. When we go on walks near other dogs she'll walk fast to get away but if she's approached by the dog she'll freeze and sometimes jump suddenly. I don't know what happened in the mill but it must have been awful.

Unless it's an extreme or unique circumstance I don't understand how people can return a pet. I could never return Mia. It's nice to hear your sitter has adopted Kaya. How old is she?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks! I'm glad to hear Gypsy continues to thrive with you. I'm not at all surprised to here she claims you as her own. Mia does the same for Ellen but not me.

Mia is still skittish around strangers and other dogs like Kaya is. When we go on walks near other dogs she'll walk fast to get away but if she's approached by the dog she'll freeze and sometimes jump suddenly. I don't know what happened in the mill but it must have been awful.

Unless it's an extreme or unique circumstance I don't understand how people can return a pet. I could never return Mia. It's nice to hear your sitter has adopted Kaya. How old is she?
He was told that she is 3.
Funny, when Phil got home from the shop tonight she relaxed a ton and followed him around the house until Wyatt got here to pick her up.
He has had her less than a week and she has attached to him a lot. I'm glad he's committed and we're willing/able to be part of the process. He's planning on leaving her here tomorrow while he goes to work. I'm kind of excited, even if she won't warm up to me right away, I'm glad we can be a safe haven for her and for Wyatt.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...must have been awful.

Unless it's an extreme or unique circumstance I don't understand how people can return a pet. ....
Some folks really underestimate the time and commitment or just fool themselves into believing it may be easy based on other's stories.

Sometimes its best someone figure out they're not up to it, earlier better.

The recue i work with, and I believe most, will offer support the life of the pooch, help those considering surrendering with advise, and promise to take back the pooches even in old age or frail health. (Techni ally the contract says one must surrender back to the rescue before giving to anyone else)

Always good to have a safety net.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some folks really underestimate the time and commitment or just fool themselves into believing it may be easy based on other's stories.

The recue i work with, and I believe most, will offer support the life of the pooch, help those considering surrendering with advise, and promise to take back the pooches even in old age or frail health. (Techni ally the contract says one must surrender back to the rescue before giving to anyone else)

Real rescues will offer support but often shelters don't. I know the county animal shelter where we got Gypsy didn't offer any kind of support, but we were willing to go the extra mile.
Wyatt also adopted Kaya from a county shelter and has a story that is interesting. In less than a week she has attached to him and he is committed. Between him, us and the Minks Kaya has a good future ahead of her.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He was told that she is 3.
Funny, when Phil got home from the shop tonight she relaxed a ton and followed him around the house until Wyatt got here to pick her up.
He has had her less than a week and she has attached to him a lot. I'm glad he's committed and we're willing/able to be part of the process. He's planning on leaving her here tomorrow while he goes to work. I'm kind of excited, even if she won't warm up to me right away, I'm glad we can be a safe haven for her and for Wyatt.

I wonder if Kaya relaxed with Phil because she know you're Gypsy's human. Or maybe because Wyatt and Phil are both male. I guess either makes sense. Have fun with the dogs today!

I suppose that's true. I don't mean to sound like there's no excuse or reason. I've heard a few pandemic-related stories where it seemed the person who got the dog while working from home didn't think it through. Still, now that I'm a dog owner I can't imagine anyone giving up their pet even if it was posing challenge in their life.

78143F39-703D-436F-BC28-E515001C56CD.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our rescue had (required - dang lawyers!) us take a handful of courses from Maddie's University.

I'm sure there's lots of other sources of info, I found their videos nicely made and informative. Most those we took were aimed at fostering, safety of the pooch and human were stressed and of course, repetition and a "safe space" were often cited.

Sponsor