• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

aray79

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Pugski community, sometime reader, first time poster looking to choose a ski in the next few days.

So the background is that I currently ski in the Northeast (Stowe, Killington, Okemo, Loon, Sunday River at various points depending on which pass I was on) and I'm potentially moving to Alta/Snowbird/the canyons, I mean SLC this summer for 4ish years, but I won't know if I'm being assigned there until March, and I 'need' a ski now (my current 2017 Atomic Vantage is totally decambered/fully rockered). I could also end up remaining in the Northeast. I'm 6' 170, was a college athlete, and am a current avid climber (decent athlete), and I'd call myself very strong intermediate/low advanced in ability (quite comfortable in all terrain I've encountered that isn't moguls) with a strong preference for full carving as much as possible when I can (moderately open blues/good condition easy blacks). My technique weaknesses, unsurprisingly come out in bumps and my goals with this new ski are as much or more to improve than to have fun in the short term, as much as I like doing that haha. I also am very tentative getting more than a bit of air. Long term, my goals are to be able to ski most non-mega gnarly backcountry terrain and I feel shoring up my technique in the bumps is the last step to appropriately setting myself up for success in making that transition. I previously skied and liked the Rainbow Cham 97 and the Liberty Variant 98. I had a great time with the Liberty skiing GS turns all the time at speed, but eventually realized I my skills were stagnating because that was all I was doing and got the Atomic to work on shorter stuff.

My priorities in skis include solid to very good edge grip, ability to maneuver quickly without tons of effort given my goal of improving in the bumps (Atomics were great in this regard), good carving/quick edge engagement in short turns (I gather having a super dialed fully carved short turn will help with my technique in the moguls), some playfulness (the Atomics were nice in this regard), the ability to play around in the pushed around snow on the side and crud, and at least moderate dampness (I felt the turquoise/white/orange sidewall Atomic was great with most things under 30 mph but got skittish beyond that) but I'm willing to compromise somewhat here/I don't need Liberty Variant/Stockli dampness as much as I appreciate them. I would say my goals are precise carving on piste and finesse/agility off piste, rather than being an M-1 tank with a rocket booster. Given I'm moving out, oops caught myself, *hopefully* moving out West, it'd also be nice if the ski helped me make the transition to skiing that powder stuff I keep hearing about. Ultimately, I'd prioritize improving my skills over other factors in the decision.

So the contenders in rough order are:

Rustler 9 (I hear these slarve/pivot super well, but I don't want to get into the habit of doing those things too much when I don't have to/not in really tight spots)
Ranger 92 Ti
Ranger 94 (seems fairly similar to the Rustler 9)

Enforcer 93/94 (too much ski for my goals but would be fun is my impression)

The impression I get is the Rangers carve a bit better than the Rustler, but I've read the SE and Blister reviews and I'm still not totally clear on the differences between these skis as I know the Rustler has the metal underfoot and some folks still say it's pretty precise. I'll be demoing the Rustlers though I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find both Fischers, and I'm hoping to get the ski in the next few days. I'd greatly appreciate any and all thoughts/detail people have to offer!

Thanks everyone!!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since this may be a ski that you only need for the east the remainder of this season, I would try to find a leftover or demo that's cheap. A good ski for the east is not likely to be something that will fit well if you move to Utah. Something in the upper 80s to mid 90s in width like you are considering makes sense. Since you want to work on bumps, tip shape and tip stiffness are considerations. Lots of choices out there that would be just fine.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
If you decide to give the Enforcer 93 a try you might find a great deal at the end of the season since they are being replaced by the 94. I won't weigh in on your choice since my ski preferences tend to be way outside the mainstream...I'll just say that both the Rustler and the Enforcer were on my short list for a western daily driver.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The first skis that come to mind that would be perfect for your current needs(and possible daily driver out West when there isn’t snow) would be the Brahma 88 in the 172cm(or Bushwacker in the 180cm)or the Enforcer 88 in the 172cm or Enforcer 93 in the 177cm.

The Brahma and Bushwacker has a bit less tip/tail taper than the Enforcers(or Fisher 94 FR and Rustler 9) so they will have better bite into harder snow. The stiffness of most of these skis would put you into the low 170s in order for the tails to be forgiving in the bumps but the Bushwacker you could go to the 180cm version and it would be perfect for you in the bumps. Playful, fun and forgiving yet stable in the 180cm size. Perfect ski for you now and a perfect “it hasn’t snowed in a bit” ski for our West.

The best part is you can still get last years Bushwacker(just different graphics) with Griffon bindings right now for $580 CAN/$440 US at Corbetts.com and they have the 180cm still in stock.
And if you do go out West, in mid March an Enforcer 104 etc will be selling for 40% off at the same store, so you could have a 2 ski quiver for the price of one!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m a big fan of Fischer skis. In terms of edge hold they’re 2nd to none imo. The Ranger series is great. My daily ski is last years Fischer Pro Mountain 86 and I think it would serve you well for what you describe. It’s a very versatile ski and you can still find leftovers for very good deals.

TS
A

aray79

Skier
Hey Greg,
Thanks for the thoughts. I've heard great things about the new Enforcer 94 in terms of it being more accessible/not requiring constant charging, so there's definitely part of me leaning toward the 179 direction if anyone has thoughts on the new 94. The Brahma I've heard is somewhat unforgiving/always has to be going at higher speeds/less versatile, do you think that's fair?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The current Brahma is actually slightly softer in flex than the Enforcer 88 in a similar size but the previous version was stiffer and less forgiving and many of the reviews are about the previous versions. Only the 187cm plus versions of these skis needs “to be going fast to be good” as you’re describing. For your size and ability, the current 180cm Brahma would be more forgiving than a stiff slalom ski tail in the bumps but less forgiving than a Bushwacker or Rustler 9.

The Enforcer 88 was stiffer than the Enforcer 93 and think that will carry on with the 94. The 94 will be lighter on it’s feet and more playful than the 93 was and the 177 or 179 lengths should be fine for you on a 93 or 94. 179cm length on the Enforcer 88 would be similar to a 180cm Brahma so a demo might be in order to see if you prefer the 179cm or 172 versions of those skis.

TS
A

aray79

Skier
If anyone has personal experience with the Ranger 94/92ti, K2 Mindbender, or Atomic Vantage 90 Ti, please let me know. Thanks!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any of the above skis have a role to play for a UT skier. It's not all powder days and soft snow. Especially if you want a ski to enjoy in bumps after the pow is gone.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty V82 179cm Sierra Trading Post $299. If/when you get to UT get a 105ish mm ski and you have your 2SQ.

Sponsor

Staff online