• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for info about vintage black star rs skis

Denise

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't know anything about skiing, but I ended up with this pair and they seemed like they deserved to be with someone that would truly appreciate them. I was just wondering where to find information on them and roughly what their value is. They do need cleaned up and have scuffs and scrapes. I have no use for them so I would like to sell them to someone that has better use than I do for them at a fair price. Any info would be appreciated. When searching for information this site seemed like a good bunch of people so figured I would see what y'all think. I also have an older pair of Hart skis as well, they are much shorter though. Probably end up posting some pics of those too eventually. Thanks.
IMG_20180306_120937667.jpg
IMG_20180306_120937667.jpg
IMG_20180306_121203.jpg
IMG_20180306_121143.jpg
IMG_20180306_121030089.jpg

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't much remember the Black Star. In 1968, Top of the line was the White Star, $200, a luxury ski for experts. Red Star was a ski for experts and racers, and maybe a bit lighter and quicker. The preferred slalom ski $180. Blue Star for intermediates. $140-$160. I think the Blacks were between Blue and Red.

Is the top edge plastic or the "aluT" top edge?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think there are a couple of old print ads in the "All About Kneissl" thread in the vintage section.

I agree with 98% of what Newfy's posted {shocker!}. I didn't remember the ski much, and I remember the White and Red Stars a lot. My parents both skied on White Stars, and my brother had a large bunch of Red Stars, which came in both a RS {GS} and a SL model as I recall. I lusted after them, but I was too small and by theme I had grown, I was pretty much saved by the Rossi Strato.

So I Googled. This cracks me up as it sort of describes ski marketing, and ski buyers guides, circa 1968. An article mentions that Kneissl was introducing the Black Star, and that it had the same cross-section and top metal edges as "the other Stars", but that it was about $20 cheaper than the Blue Star. So, to use Phil's acronym "NGT" was big with Kneissl in the late 60's!

I also suspect that Karl Schranz actually skied on a custom laid up Red Star with White Star graphics. Sneaky. Even then.

Just guessing here.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skis don't appreciate in value at all, even after 50 plus years. All really old skis are useful for is decorating a mountain cabin and most folks aren't picky about how rare or not those ornaments are.

Basically, what you've got is similar to what was once a really nice 8mm projector that was replaced by VCRs then DVDs then BluRays, and now straight digital media. there's no real value there. Odds are it would cost more to ship them than a customer would be willing to pay for them. That said, there are a handful of collectors who might want that specific ski model to add to a collection, but connecting with them might take longer than you are willing to invest. Take a look at eBay's vintage ski section and look and see how long these things are getting listed and re listed. @Bill Talbot and @Royal @Vintageski808 collect similar but I don't think they pay more than $100 for stuff like that, only brand new, unmounted, undrilled would bring more than $100..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skis don't appreciate in value at all, even after 50 plus years. All really old skis are useful for is decorating a mountain cabin and most folks aren't picky about how rare or not those ornaments are.

Basically, what you've got is similar to what was once a really nice 8mm projector that was replaced by VCRs then DVDs then BluRays, and now straight digital media. there's no real value there. Odds are it would cost more to ship them than a customer would be willing to pay for them. That said, there are a handful of collectors who might want that specific ski model to add to a collection, but connecting with them might take longer than you are willing to invest. Take a look at eBay's vintage ski section and look and see how long these things are getting listed and re listed. @Bill Talbot and @Royal and @Vintageski808 collect similar but I don't think they pay more than $100 for stuff like that, only brand new, unmounted, undrilled would bring more than $100..

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm thinking more like $0- $25. Unless it's highly desirable, which it's not.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As my foggy beer sodded brain remembers from top to bottom Knissel went:
White Star (skied really well)
Red Star (skied really well)
Blue Star (recreational ski never skied it)
Black Star (recreational ski never skied it & rarely seen in shops)

TS
Denise

Denise

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks everyone. I couldn't find much info on the black star. Definitely more on the others than what I have. That's why I wanted to check with people that have a knowledge and passion on the subject. I'm not worried about getting much for them. I just would have hated for them to get junked if they could've been appreciated by someone or something someone was looking for. I don't know anything about skis but they just have a look that's....umm... Attractive I guess. They just looked interesting is maybe a better description. Maybe I'll put them up on eBay with best offer option. They've been sitting around here for awhile so a little longer won't hurt. Maybe someone will come across them and could be the perfect decor for their lodge or cabin wall. : ) I definitely appreciate all your responses. Thanks again!

Vintageski808

Old ski fanatic born too late
Skier
I'd definitely be interested. If you still have them. Pm me. I already have a good amount of the Star models from the late 1960s, but not the blackstar models.