• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for Loveland powder and crud ski

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Moderator edit: Moved this from the Stöckli discussion to its own thread.
Old bump

i would be interested to see how the SR105 and 102 ski vs the Kastle 106ti.

super interested as I have a line on some 105 at a good price but really like the info out there so far on the Kastle 106ti. Huge investment either way and I likely won’t have to opportunity to demo either.

Last edited by a moderator:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know nothing about the new 102, but I've demoed the 106ti and also briefly the 105, and a ski buddy has the SR 105, three replacements of them so far - his daily driver. (Last year's model rather than this, so if there have been any great changes to the 21/22 model, I would not know about that new ski.) Both skis were in the mid 180s in length, for me - but he is larger, 190 lbs. or so, so his length is the longest one, 19x, though he has had both lengths.

The 105, from what I've watched him do, and from his descriptions, is a great, stable platform, rock solid. Not a floater, not much lift. But it doesn't dive or get hung up either. Ever. He's an ex-racer, and he charges the ski often, skis fairly fast but steady, big gs turns, solid. The ski does that in any condition, almost. He uses it for steeps, for powder, up to very deep. It's a challenge keeping up with him for many. He both carves and lets it slide sometimes, a bit.

This ski is not playful, but it is almost bombproof. Smooth. Cannot be rattled, most any speed. Crud and slush are easy on it. But it is not a floaty ski, rather it more carves dependably or busts straight through, with a slight lift, seems like.

The 106ti, on the other hand, has a bit of play/float/lift/drift to it, enough to be quite playful - especially for a Kastle. But it is a very solid ski, powder, crud or packed powder. A very intuitive ski. And it carves well too, when that is wanted. I really like this ski, and would prefer it to the 105 on a powder day, but both seem top notch. If speed is your thing, both skis will charge admirably, the 105 probably more so. (I did not reach a speed limit demoing the 106ti in maybe 5-6" of powder then crud, as I recall.)

Only a partial answer, but I hope that helps some.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know nothing about the new 102, but I've demoed the 106ti and also briefly the 105, and a ski buddy has the SR 105, three replacements of them so far - his daily driver. (Last year's model rather than this, so if there have been any great changes to the 21/22 model, I would not know about that new ski.) Both skis were in the mid 180s in length, for me - but he is larger, 190 lbs. or so, so his length is the longest one, 19x, though he has had both lengths.

The 105, from what I've watched him do, and from his descriptions, is a great, stable platform, rock solid. Not a floater, not much lift. But it doesn't dive or get hung up either. Ever. He's an ex-racer, and he charges the ski often, skis fairly fast but steady, big gs turns, solid. The ski does that in any condition, almost. He uses it for steeps, for powder, up to very deep. It's a challenge keeping up with him for many. He both carves and lets it slide sometimes, a bit.

This ski is not playful, but it is almost bombproof. Smooth. Cannot be rattled, most any speed. Crud and slush are easy on it. But it is not a floaty ski, rather it more carves dependably or busts straight through, with a slight lift, seems like.

The 106ti, on the other hand, has a bit of play/float/lift/drift to it, enough to be quite playful - especially for a Kastle. But it is a very solid ski, powder, crud or packed powder. A very intuitive ski. And it carves well too, when that is wanted. I really like this ski, and would prefer it to the 105 on a powder day, but both seem top notch. If speed is your thing, both skis will charge admirably, the 105 probably more so. (I did not reach a speed limit demoing the 106ti in maybe 5-6" of powder then crud, as I recall.)

Only a partial answer, but I hope that helps some.
It does otter. I assume you both ski mostly front range resorts? We do too. I’m looking for a ski that can run pow but is better in crud after the pow is all tracked up. At Loveland by the time the big bowls open up for the season the sun is pounding on the ridge all day and softens it up but a wind shit and it can be crusty and difficult. I am looking for a ski I can take up there when the snow is nice and deep, can track well in crud but can stay on top of crust if needed. impossible right lol.

Seems like the SR105 would not be great for this. It seems to me the 106ti would be a better match for front range resorts. I am also looking at the Kore 111. I absolutely love my Kore 99 for everything but heavy crud. I does get kicked around a bit. I am reading the Kore 111 handles similarly with a better float and more stable platform.

I do like to ski fast but in really steep stuff I like to be able to shed speed quickly, after all I am an older young man lol.

seems I will be looking more at the Kastle, maybe demo this thing from P7 in golden at some point this year.

I appreciate the thoughts on this!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It does otter. I assume you both ski mostly front range resorts? We do too. I’m looking for a ski that can run pow but is better in crud after the pow is all tracked up. At Loveland by the time the big bowls open up for the season the sun is pounding on the ridge all day and softens it up but a wind shit and it can be crusty and difficult. I am looking for a ski I can take up there when the snow is nice and deep, can track well in crud but can stay on top of crust if needed. impossible right lol....
This was probably a typo, but it is exactly right! :roflmao:

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
No kidding, ha! That wind will come and freeze you to death!

as assumed, it was meant to read shift, but the applied typo applies

Last edited:

Mp29

Putting on skis
Skier
My quiver right now is AX, SR95, SR105 and I own a pair of Black Crows Anima 115.

I only got a couple days on the 105 before season ended last year in only 6” of snow but I was blown away with how they skied. I absolutely love these three stockli and feel they really compliment each other. I ski VT and last season was pretty lean snow wise so I didn’t get a ton of tree days on the 95 or 105 which will be the ultimate test to see how quickly they can swivel in tight trees. The Crows are so quick and make trees effortless but totally different ski. The Anima in particular is quite a ski. Stiff as can be so they plow through mounds of snow but also turn in a dime and oddly can carve. They are a special ski and ironically compliment the Sticklis well for deep days of which there are very few haha. But nice to have when need them.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It does otter. I assume you both ski mostly front range resorts? We do too. I’m looking for a ski that can run pow but is better in crud after the pow is all tracked up. At Loveland by the time the big bowls open up for the season the sun is pounding on the ridge all day and softens it up but a wind shit and it can be crusty and difficult. I am looking for a ski I can take up there when the snow is nice and deep, can track well in crud but can stay on top of crust if needed. impossible right lol.

Seems like the SR105 would not be great for this. It seems to me the 106ti would be a better match for front range resorts. I am also looking at the Kore 111. I absolutely love my Kore 99 for everything but heavy crud. I does get kicked around a bit. I am reading the Kore 111 handles similarly with a better float and more stable platform.

I do like to ski fast but in really steep stuff I like to be able to shed speed quickly, after all I am an older young man lol.

seems I will be looking more at the Kastle, maybe demo this thing from P7 in golden at some point this year.

I appreciate the thoughts on this!
I've had a few skis that can do this - all tested and skied at Loveland. The top one is the longest (189, pull length 190) K2 Pettitor 120, far and away the best, in both the pow and the crud or crust. A playful tank. But heavy, if one has damaged knees. (and the right mount point for you is a must, usually more forward than one would think - hence I've used Marker Schizos.)

Second, the Black Ops 118 (now called the Gamer) 186, IF you are a shorter, lighter weight guy - up to say, 170 and 5'10" or so. They'd need a longer version for most male skiers, with a more forward mount if that long. This ski is based on the Pettitor design, no matter what the Rossi folks tell you. (Even though it may owe a debt to the original Rossi Super 7 also, something they have told me.) For me a 189 or 190 length moved forward might be perfect. For a really big guy, 195 moved forward might work better (though hard to imagine, I know).

Third, the Head Kore 117 longest version, at the right mount point for you. It floats, but does not track as well as either the SR 105 or the Kastle 106ti.

Fourth, the Moment Bibby Pro in both 184 and 192 (one more playful, the other more chargy). The longer one likes a bit of speed to work best, in my experience. Both could use a tad more float, to me.

Five, Volkl W-Werks Katana 192. For this purpose, I find myself wishing it were wider, for truly deep snow.

A ski that handled powder/crust/crud very similarly to how the SR 105 seems to, was the Rossi Sickle 111 - carved and tracked well deeper in the snow - unflappable, but not floaty.

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've had a few skis that can do this - all tested and skied at Loveland. The top one is the longest (189, pull length 190) K2 Pettitor 120, far and away the best, in both the pow and the crud or crust. A playful tank. But heavy, if one has damaged knees. (and the right mount point for you is a must, usually more forward than one would think - hence I've used Marker Schizos.)

Second, the Black Ops 118 (now called the Gamer) 186, IF you are a shorter, lighter weight guy - up to say, 170 and 5'10" or so. They'd need a longer version for most male skiers, with a more forward mount if that long. This ski is based on the Pettitor design, no matter what the Rossi folks tell you. (Even though it may owe a debt to the original Rossi Super 7 also, something they have told me.) For me a 189 or 190 length moved forward might be perfect. For a really big guy, 195 moved forward might work better (though hard to imagine, I know).

Third, the Head Kore 117 longest version, at the right mount point for you. It floats, but does not track as well as either the SR 105 or the Kastle 106ti.

Fourth, the Moment Bibby Pro in both 184 and 192 (one more playful, the other more chargy). The longer one likes a bit of speed to work best, in my experience. Both could use a tad more float, to me.

Five, Volkl W-Werks Katana 192. For this purpose, I find myself wishing it were wider, for truly deep snow.

A ski that handled powder/crust/crud very similarly to how the SR 105 seems to, was the Rossi Sickle 111 - carved and tracked well deeper in the snow - unflappable, but not floaty.
Otter I’m about 5’9 155lbs. Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all of them!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Pettitor is no longer made, and very hard to get. Almost nobody but K2 associates and friends picked up on what it could do, including Blistergear folk, who missed the ski entirely. (Sean Pettit, the pro whose ski it was, walked up to them at Whistler, I recall, and offered his shorter version - 179 - to the Blister folk to try, and they turned him down!!! That length was indeed too short for most of them, but at least they could have gotten a sense of how incredible that ski is. I know, because I own both skis, 179 & 189, and know some K2 associates also).

The Rossi Blacks Ops 118/186 is now called the Black Ops Gamer 118/186. It's the same ski. Your size makes it pretty much ideal. You would want to be forward with the mount (maybe plus 1.5 to 2.5?), with the ability to adjust that: Schizos or demo bindings. You would probably find that minor adjustments to the mount point on the fly would work well: for wet, deeper snow/crud, for example, move back on that ski a half cm. to a full cm. Very noticeable improvement in those conditions for that ski, whereas in normal powder/crud more forward works best.

(The 189 Pettitor, on the other hand, is long enough that there is less need to move the mount point in this way; instead, you'd move it to get different qualities to the ski: back enough produces a charger, forward produces a playful but still tip driver, farther still yields a more centered stance ski with little or no need to drive the tips, depending on how forward. It's incredible, actually.)

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
almost like duct taping McDonald’s trays to your boots. These are some mega wide skis lol.

any recommendations for women skis along these lines? My wife is my ski partner and will be right there with me.

im really liking the Gamer and Anima. I can demo the anima from powder 7, not sure about the gamer

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, true. Scarce banana boats. There were videos of guys water skiing on the things. Most skiers have gone back to a bit narrower options for resorts.

Not sure about the lady version, guess it depends on skier size. I'm not knowledgeable for those.
I wish the K2 Pinnacle 105s were still being made; that's very effortless, and would be great for a lady. Maybe you could ask @Tricia .

I met a fairly short, smallish woman who skis K2 Hellbents regularly, as her main backcountry powder ski, who is a bootfitter. (She almost only does backcountry, resorts rarely.) The things are the big brother to the Pettitors, similar but 132 under foot. They are a bit softer but behave very similarly in powder/crud - except hugest float. (I think hers were 179 length, not sure.) :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure about the lady version, guess it depends on skier size. I'm not knowledgeable for those.
I wish the K2 Pinnacle 105s were still being made; that's very effortless, and would be great for a lady. Maybe you could ask @Tricia .
Thanks for the call out.
I'm trying to catch up on the conversation, but if I'm understanding correctly, we're shifting from looking at the Stöckli for "him" to any ideas for "her" to ski Loveland powder and broken crud?
What size is your wife? @Rdputnam515

For now, based on what I'm reading, I really like the Black Ops Rallybird. I have the Ti version and am consistently amazed at how it floats, busts crud and basically inspires confidence.

*Moving this to its own discussion.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gamer is coming out with a longer 190cm plus version soon along with a narrower 110mm brother to it. Was hoping they would arrive this Summer as the 110mm prototypes were seen last winter out in the Wild. Shape looked similar to the Gamer.

The Wildcats in either the 108 and more so the 116/188 are fantastic for the skiing fast in crud like the Bibbys before them were. Wildcats are even better built with better float than the Bibbys and for 2022, are the exact same weight and dampness of the former model.
More stable at speed with better float in the 116/118 than the previous Anima and probably one of the reasons it was tweaked last year. The latest Anima is wider tip/tail now with more sidecut and stiffer now, which should improve it’s float and groomer performance. The stiffer tips and shorter turning radius of the latest Anima makes me think the Wildcat will be more stable at speed yet more forgiving.

Wildcats are available in 164cm and 174cm sizes in the full size models and in Women’s top sheet versions in the Bella(108 Wildcat) starting at 152cm.

Another option that flies over crud with ease but can still RIP groomers at very high speeds is the 2021 Candide 3.0 and 3.0X(female top sheet but the same ski). At 112mm underfoot it outperforms most 105mm skis on groomers yet still fun in bumps and off piste. Solid flex throughout and not much taper, so similar to a stiffer but lighter Gamer. They changed manufacturing factories for 2022(Fisher race ski plant in 2021 and now at Amer plant for 2022) and have seen the flex is still similar in 2022 just lighter so won’t be as damp as the 2021.
Still seeing deals on these out there on the 2021 versions of both the 3.0 and 3.0X around $500 CAN/$400 US which is an amazing deal for such a well built ski.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the call out.
I'm trying to catch up on the conversation, but if I'm understanding correctly, we're shifting from looking at the Stöckli for "him" to any ideas for "her" to ski Loveland powder and broken crud?
What size is your wife? @Rdputnam515

For now, based on what I'm reading, I really like the Black Ops Rallybird. I have the Ti version and am consistently amazed at how it floats, busts crud and basically inspires confidence.

*Moving this to its own discussion.
This is exactly what I was thinking based off what otter was saying. Similar to the gamer

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is exactly what I was thinking based off what otter was saying. Similar to the gamer
There are a few other skis in that category that would do well too.
K2 Mindbender 106 Alliance
Fischer Ranger 102
DPS Zelda 106
Of these, the Rallybird Ti and the Mindbender 106 are more powerful and crud busting.
The Ranger and Zelda are more playful.
There are some really good reviews in the ski selector

Thank you to the mod for moving this.

I didn’t mean to completely hijack the other thread
No problem
You have a legit question about the Stöckli it just happened to turn into something else. ;)

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
G
Gamer is coming out with a longer 190cm plus version soon along with a narrower 110mm brother to it. Was hoping they would arrive this Summer as the 110mm prototypes were seen last winter out in the Wild. Shape looked similar to the Gamer.

The Wildcats in either the 108 and more so the 116/188 are fantastic for the skiing fast in crud like the Bibbys before them were. Wildcats are even better built with better float than the Bibbys and for 2022, are the exact same weight and dampness of the former model.
More stable at speed with better float in the 116/118 than the previous Anima and probably one of the reasons it was tweaked last year. The latest Anima is wider tip/tail now with more sidecut and stiffer now, which should improve it’s float and groomer performance. The stiffer tips and shorter turning radius of the latest Anima makes me think the Wildcat will be more stable at speed yet more forgiving.

Wildcats are available in 164cm and 174cm sizes in the full size models and in Women’s top sheet versions in the Bella(108 Wildcat) starting at 152cm.

Another option that flies over crud with ease but can still RIP groomers at very high speeds is the 2021 Candide 3.0 and 3.0X(female top sheet but the same ski). At 112mm underfoot it outperforms most 105mm skis on groomers yet still fun in bumps and off piste. Solid flex throughout and not much taper, so similar to a stiffer but lighter Gamer. They changed manufacturing factories for 2022(Fisher race ski plant in 2021 and now at Amer plant for 2022) and have seen the flex is still similar in 2022 just lighter so won’t be as damp as the 2021.
Still seeing deals on these out there on the 2021 versions of both the 3.0 and 3.0X around $500 CAN/$400 US which is an amazing deal for such a well built ski.
Greg, you still seeing this Candide 3.0 so cheap. Been looking and haven’t found em. I may be able to pull the trigger soon lol

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
G

Greg, you still seeing this Candide 3.0 so cheap. Been looking and haven’t found em. I may be able to pull the trigger soon lol
What length were you looking for? Just saw the place I got my CT 1.0 still have a pair of CT 3.0 X(same ski just has different graphics) in the 178cm for $499 CAN which is an insane price. Felt like grabbing them because they were such a deal!
Think there was some places in Canada with a pair of 184cm CT 3.0 but wanted $700 CAN.

2020 so a bit lighter than the 21 versions

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am 5’9” at about 155

I am thinking around 180cm I ski the head kore 99 at 180 and it seems great to me.

that may be a winner.

im trying to wrap my head around the difference between the 21 and 22…

different manufacturer, core etc?

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I may need to grab some Vic Rattlehead or JP Screaming for Vengeance vinyls to man them up a bit lol, especially Because my wife said they were “cute” and “she would ski them” lol

Sponsor