• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for new ski advice

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be remiss if I did not recommend a Stockli ski.
LOL. dovski is back. Just waiting for Storaro to chime in.

The AX might be exactly what you are looking for. Super fun and versatile ski which is an excellent carver but can also handle some crud and light pow with ease.
Fair enough!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Many years ago, during an industry demo weekend, I have skied the Stöckli Stormrider 95 and a Kastle MX89 (super fun). I a. Not interested in spending that much money on skis, even with a discount. That is why I was curious about an Elan Wingman 86. The cost difference with the Stöckli 88 is substantial.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Do you think the ski's listed above are wider than I should be looking at? The Tigershark's are 168 and short for me.
I think the Blizzard Thunderbird R15 WB is about as far as you would want to go for Ontario and western Quebec. The tip rocker will help make things easier in the non-smooth-groomed and not-ice conditions.

On the other hand, if you decide to build a quiver, you should go wider than what you are looking at for your storm-day/travel-to-deep-snow ski, and while you're at it, pick up a pair of skinny long radius full-cambered skis too (for bigger hills and higher speed turns). :ogbiggrin:

Regarding moguls, I don't see what all the rush is to get wider skis for moguls. Skinny skis work just fine in moguls, but tune makes a difference (I left my old Volkl P50 F1 Energy skis at 1:2 just for moguls), as well as softer flex (so you don't bridge the smaller ones), although maybe that (stiff flex) is more of a problem in Moguls for lightweights like me.

TS
R

Revolver

Booting up
Skier
I appreciate all the responses. I thought I was on the right path with the initial list, but it seems like the consensus is to stick to a skinny ski as a daily driver to replace the Tigershark's and add a second, wider ski for different conditions and uses. Looks like I have more reading to do.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate all the responses. I thought I was on the right path with the initial list, but it seems like the consensus is to stick to a skinny ski as a daily driver to replace the Tigershark's and add a second, wider ski for different conditions and uses. Looks like I have more reading to do.
[as the sales person, previously on the cusp of closing, beats his head against the wall and curses SkiTalk interlopers]

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another fellow Ontario skier who skis Blue Mountain and Moonstone at least 30 days a year when I don’t travel out West. North at Blue is the only place I find can sometimes get very icy first thing as they groom that section the day before Vs first thing in the morning like the rest of the hill.

Agree with many on here that it’s hard not to compromise performance if you go down to one single ski unless you do get into the Stockli AX/Blossom AM 77 type ski. Even those will sacrifice performance in grip vs a carver and fun off piste vs wider options.
That being said, a current narrow carver would have more updated tip profiles combined with a longer length would be a noticeable upgrade no matter the conditions Vs the old Volkls. 22 Supershapes are still available under $700 with bindings at Corbetts which would be perfect for your daily driver.

At that price you could get more of an all mountain shaped ski that would do even better in softer snow, afternoon crud or in the bumps. I used the 21 Faction CT 1.0 which is like a wide GS ski that happens to be a twin tip. Have many friends in Ontario that have added this ski to their quiver and love it. Just mount back a bit for traditional skiers and you can drive it like any other ski. Still available in Canada at $450 pr($750 retail) and a set of Attack bindings at Corbetts would be about $200 including mounting.
Of all my pairs of skis, these got the most use for me last year. Shockingly versatile for East and a fantastic daily driver for the West.

You’d have 2 great skis for the price of one with no compromise.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
BTW-OMG did Corbett’s sell a lot of Stockli skis their first year selling them!
Now see at least 3-4 times the amount on the hills in Ontario Vs previous years. They seem to be the “Cervello bike with the padded seat and flat pedals” of the wealthy Toronto beginners/intermediates. Shocking the amount of Stockli skis on beginners the last year especially. Had at least 5 different ones this year fall getting off chairlifts at Moonstone and Blue this year wearing them. :doh:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just thought I would mention the Head V8 or any of the Super Shape skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Look at Head e-speed (or the older i-speed if you can find it), in the longest length if you are keeping the Tiger sharks for smaller venues, otherwise in the 2nd longest length.

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski out West but grew up skiing in Ontario and Quebec(vacation) so understand your situation. I have moved from a Nordica Enforcer 100 down in width to an Elan Ripstick 96. Neither of these skis are what you want but I wanted to say the carbon in the Elan's is very light but every bit as damp as my old Enforcers and they are considered a classic of balance in all mountain ski. The tubelite carbon Elan lays down is super effective and damp but still provides great feel with none of the vagueness titanyl dampened skis can sometimes produce. I just don't think there is a lot tubelite in the Wingman.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I represent that comment lol

You know that Storaro is back when someone recommends the WRT :roflmao:

Why would I recommend WRT to someone looking for 80+ mm ski?
Besides, in the current economic situation it is very bad form to recommend ski as expensive as the WRTs.

Of the initial list I am only familiar with the Deacon VWerks which is a ski you cant go far wrong with but no idea how they compare to the others.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Why would I recommend WRT to someone looking for 80+ mm ski?
Besides, in the current economic situation it is very bad form to recommend ski as expensive as the WRTs.

Of the initial list I am only familiar with the Deacon VWerks which is a ski you cant go far wrong with but no idea how they compare to the others.
I've missed you Tony, but I knew if I mentioned the WRT you would respond. I am not directly saying that you have become predictable .... but it is implied lol :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've missed you Tony, but I knew if I mentioned the WRT you would respond. I am not directly saying that you have become predictable .... but it is implied lol :roflmao:

WRTs are less than optimal in many conditions where 85+ ski would be better.
Let’s not go full Blister in the opposite direction.

TS
R

Revolver

Booting up
Skier
After much more research and many abandoned online shopping carts I ended up purchasing some Rossi Experience 86Ti's to add to the Volkl's. I still like the Volkl's and they do a lot of things I like so instead of replacing them now I'll just add a second, more versatile ski for when there's fresh snow, bumps etc, and that I think will still ski reasonably well in hard conditions.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW-OMG did Corbett’s sell a lot of Stockli skis their first year selling them!
Now see at least 3-4 times the amount on the hills in Ontario Vs previous years. They seem to be the “Cervello bike with the padded seat and flat pedals” of the wealthy Toronto beginners/intermediates. Shocking the amount of Stockli skis on beginners the last year especially. Had at least 5 different ones this year fall getting off chairlifts at Moonstone and Blue this year wearing them. :doh:

Agreed, the amount of Stockli I saw up in Collignwood last season was a huge uplift from any previous year, and I attribute that solely to Corbetts taking on the brand last season.

I mentioned to Greg last season that I can get by very happily at Blue Mountain with a narrow frontside ski ( for me, the K2 Disruption STi 72mm / 170cm ) and my Faction CT 1.0 92mm / 178cm. I'm a first chair guy so like my early morning firm groomers at the North side.

Also Ricks Pro Shop at the bottom of North has ( had? ) Fischer RC One 82GT and 86GT skis, and also Elan. I had the 82GT 173cm and really liked it, but gave them too my son as he converted from snowboarding to skiing and needed a ski on short notice.

Sponsor

Staff online