• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I quit skiing last season to have my left knee replaced. Things went well, I'm strong and excited about skiing without pain for the first time in a long while. A new knee deserves some new skis....I'm looking for advice.

I know a lot of you from the old Epic Ski board. I'm 72 and have been skiing since longthongs. 5'6" and 165 lb. Mostly I ski Midwest groomers and that's what I want skis for. My current quiver includes 165 Fisher Slalom SC's, 175 Rossi 18m Masters, 176 Kastle RX 12's and 176 Kastle FX 94's. I'm not going to challenge my new knee in a course and gave away my speedsuit and other stuff. Just want some skis to bomb around on in good carving conditions. Currently, I'm thinking of a pair of Kastle MX78's in 165 might be a good fit for the new me. What do you Pug Skiers think I should get?

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
The Kastle is a great ski, but that length may make you use more input than you said you wanted to use. Perhaps a length around 170 or so might be more appropriate? A bit less demanding (and expensive) choice, but still excellent on hardpack and lots of fun for a skier with skills on a new knee might also be the Dynastar Speedzone 12 or Speedzone 10 (one notch less stiff). They are a bit less demanding than Head carvers, for instance, but pack plenty of user-friendly performance.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As I age and suffer through physical degradation, I'm slowing down. So things like lighter skis, shorter skis and turnier skis are working better. I'm not blasting at high speed through the crud or arcing turns at my brain's G limits so stability is just not needed as much. But I certainly want to quickly react to the snowboarder who cuts me off with a quick turn.

Shorter versions of backcountry skis are pretty light, have reasonable edge authority and turn pretty quickly. Worth a look. Since I'm not really using my Praxis Backcountries in the backcountry, I did move my bindings from the recommended settings - Schizios rock. I also got some fairly light women's skis (Head Great Joy) and had to move the bindings there - Schizios still rock. Short slalom race skis with lighter flat bindings are fun on firm snow and pretty manageable. My ultralight old Goode Carbon 74 skis are my favorite but I don't think they are still available. Demo a lot if you can but be willing to think out of the box.

I have a fresh titanium hip so I sympathize with you. Good luck.

Eric

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Hi there...wow same knee same TKR...same need to get back on snow. My thought for new equipment to celebrate the new knee has been boot. I'm off this afternoon to get Jeff of Bootfixation to build me new foot beds and align my new Lange RS 110(s). Then I'll demo a lot of things.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Rossi Hero Master for Nubs. ogsmile

Yeah, I know you have them, but they're still the pick of most litters for your venue... Great hard snow grip, not TOO reactive compared to SL or short radius carvers, and IMHO, there isn't a carving ski on the market that works as well as a properly tuned and prepped non FIS GS ski. If you want something new just 'cause, then pick up a Blizzard WRC, or Redster, or iSpeed Pro, etc...

Last edited:
TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Thanks all.
some good thoughts here.
The thing about the Heros is that you have to be on them.
That takes concentration and if I slack off they put me in the back seat in a hurry.
The World Cup SC's are more forgiving and I can ski longer on them.
I have heard a lot of good about the Fisher Curv line from some very good skiers.
Any thoughts there?
Stocklis have always seemed very stiff to me but I'll try to demo some AX's.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks all.
some good thoughts here.
The thing about the Heros is that you have to be on them.
That takes concentration and if I slack off they put me in the back seat in a hurry.
The World Cup SC's are more forgiving and I can ski longer on them.
I have heard a lot of good about the Fisher Curv line from some very good skiers.
Any thoughts there?
Stocklis have always seemed very stiff to me but I'll try to demo some AX's.

Nope, the Lasers ax's are less stiff and less demanding than a Kastle MX78.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe a Hero LT... a bit more forgiving. The Curv's sound interesting and possibly demanding. Another ski that pops on the radar as it tracks well and easily is the Volkl RTM 84... no extreme tip and tail shape on the RTM, just a good, solid, smooth ride.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
All we need is some snow and I'll let you guys know how it is going.
The weather looks like we might make a Thanksgiving opening.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Maybe a Hero LT... a bit more forgiving. The Curv's sound interesting and possibly demanding. Another ski that pops on the radar as it tracks well and easily is the Volkl RTM 84... no extreme tip and tail shape on the RTM, just a good, solid, smooth ride.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Glad to hear your knee went well. Enjoy the season be safe

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I quit skiing last season to have my left knee replaced. Things went well, I'm strong and excited about skiing without pain for the first time in a long while. A new knee deserves some new skis....I'm looking for advice.

I had a painful knee for a while. To compensate, I began to angulate a lot more at the hips, absorbing bumps more with the hips rather than as much with the knees. Improved my skiing too, a lot. I don't know what the particular issue was with my knee; don't know if this would help with your situation

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
woops, my post got merged into the quote of the OP. Here is my post separately.

I had a painful knee for a while. To compensate, I began to angulate a lot more at the hips, absorbing bumps more with the hips rather than as much with the knees. Improved my skiing too, a lot. I don't know what the particular issue was with my knee; don't know if this would help with your situation

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
After I had my knee replaced I bought new skis that were softer than what I was used to. Big mistake. Now I'm back into stiff, charger type skis. If your outcome is anything like mine, get ready to have your (skiing) life changed. I am skiing faster and harder than I was during all those years that I was dealing with knee pain. Go buy the skis that you want and take that idea out of your head that your skis have to have something to do with a weak or compromised knee. You and your knee will be stronger than you can imagine.

Sponsor

Staff online