• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I quit skiing last season to have my left knee replaced. Things went well, I'm strong and excited about skiing without pain for the first time in a long while. A new knee deserves some new skis....I'm looking for advice.

I know a lot of you from the old Epic Ski board. I'm 72 and have been skiing since longthongs. 5'6" and 165 lb. Mostly I ski Midwest groomers and that's what I want skis for. My current quiver includes 165 Fisher Slalom SC's, 175 Rossi 18m Masters, 176 Kastle RX 12's and 176 Kastle FX 94's. I'm not going to challenge my new knee in a course and gave away my speedsuit and other stuff. Just want some skis to bomb around on in good carving conditions. Currently, I'm thinking of a pair of Kastle MX78's in 165 might be a good fit for the new me. What do you Pug Skiers think I should get?
I think you need a new ski for Midwest groomers, just like I need a new hole in my head. Still, in order to bring up your quiver number to N+1, the MX74 is a good candidate.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Welcome back!

Dig the Kastle MX78, the Head Rally or Titan are both wonderful nubs/midwest skis as well. Both reward good technique and only give a mild grumble when you get on the tails or do something foolish. The Volkl codes are fun too, but a little less forgiving without any huge gains in grip. They do however feel much more lively than Heads.

You are welcome to try my Titans in 177 when the chairs spin.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
No one has mentioned Renoun. Z-77 might be a knee friendly ski
One of the reviewers stated that the Hyper Damping Technology reduced chatter and make the ski easier on the knees. I know you've got one new one. How creaky is the other?

"some skis to bomb around on in good carving conditions.'
Head Supershape i.Speed. The 170 cm has a 68 mm waist, 14 m sidecut, and it's light.

mkwright7

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m petrified of getting a TKR in my near future. I still bought an Ikon pass for 21/22 season, even though the knee hurts when skiing. While in the slopes I dull the pain w excedrin but my leg feels so unstable! What exercises can I do to strengthen w/o putting too much torque on my knee?? Im an avid MTBer. Thank God biking doesn’t hurt.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
If your meniscus is shot and your joint has arthritis.......
......you know what it means.
I'm skiing strong with a TKR at 77.
My wife just had her second three months ago and is happy as a clam about the result.
A bad knee puts a twist on your lower back and this turns into L4-L5 problems.
The TKRs greatly reduced her back issues and got her moving well again.
She just asked me to get her a season pass for Christmas.
Nuff said.....it's not nearly as bad as having a baby (as reported by my wife).

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m petrified of getting a TKR in my near future. I still bought an Ikon pass for 21/22 season, even though the knee hurts when skiing. While in the slopes I dull the pain w excedrin but my leg feels so unstable! What exercises can I do to strengthen w/o putting too much torque on my knee?? Im an avid MTBer. Thank God biking doesn’t hurt.
XC skiing is about the best terrestrial exercise I can think of. Inline Skating may or may not work for you, it can be torque'y. YMMV.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Midwest groomers" "bomb around on in good carving conditions"

Why go as wide as a 78? Why not something in the 60s? The wider the ski, the more stress it puts on the knee. I have a total knee replacement that doesn't seem to have turned out as well as yours. I like my Stöckli Laser AX at 78 for groomers and crud, but I prefer my rec slalom skis at 66 mm for groomers. The Head e-Original SuperShapes are really nice, great performing, not at all tricky to ski well. Check Corbetts in Canada for availability and good prices (they don't yet have 170 in stock).
https://www.head.com/en_CA/supershape-e-original-15.html
https://www.corbetts.com/2022-head-supershape-e-original-skis-w-prd-12-gw-bindings/

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
@Dakine What did you get? How's the knee?
Knee is great, I tend to forget I have a metal knee.
I only notice it when I kneel and put pressure on the plastic kneecap.
This doesn't hurt the joint but feels weird.

My take on TKR after watching the results of many surgeries is:
1. Your condition going in is very important. My Ortho guy will not operate on obese folks and that contributes a lot to his success rate.
2. The Orthopedic surgeon is very important. There is a lot of skill involved in a good result particularly in selecting the shims that determine how tight the joint will be after surgery.
3. Rehab is critical. Then training after release. I used to have a 2" difference between my right and left calves. Now it is down to about 1/2" and not noticeable. My gait is well equalized and my lower back issues are minimized. I try to minimize high impact stuff but the Smith-Nephew joint is supposedly good for 30 years and shows no wear on xray after four years. I did give up racing which was smart at my age but I hate it. The new knee would take about half a second off my beer league times and make me the fastest geezer in these here parts.

Current ski quiver...
1. 165 Fischer WC SC
2. 175 Blossom SC
3. 175 Blossom Whiteout
4. 175 Rossi Hero Masters R18
5 2006 Race Stock Atomic LT12, R21 GS skis. (these boards (66mm) have been waxed hundreds of times with Holmenkol Red and are incredibly fast in the right conditions)
6. 176 Kastle FX94
7. 208 Vintage Kastle WC National Team SG skis with modern bindings

I really like the soft Blossom SC's in most groomer and soft snow conditions. You can bend them every which way at reasonable speeds with a bit of finesse but they will bite if you overpower them.

Sponsor

Staff online