• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You don't necessarily need snow tires; especially if you're mostly in the Bay Area and the majority of your tire's miles is going to not be in snow. 5-6 trips a season isn't that many to justify the winter tires degrading the rest of the non-snow usage in my opinion.
Also most of the time the roads are going to be clear unless you are storm chasing, because global warming.

If you feel you are in a sketchy situation and potentially losing control and you can trust yourself for this judgement call; what you really need to do is stop and take a breath weigh your risks; and throw on a good set of chains despite having AWD and despite caltrans waving you through. You need to be responsible for your own safety if it's that bad.

If you know you're going to be a skier, and you know you're having the same car/tiresize, it's better to spend say $150-$200 on a set of chains that have features to make them easier to put on and take off, shovel, salt/grit or other emergency tools versus winter tires that you know for 99.9% of your miles won't be in snow.
That being said, you can still bias your choosing of All Season tires that are better rated for light snow; even though they aren't snowflake or winter rated.

Also, why not just get a RX 350 or 450h AWD if you like the lexus?

I would say once you bump up your 6 trips more like to 10+ trips on a pre-determined schedule like ski team, then the winter tire option becomes more of a consideration.

Last edited:

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
What are snowflake rated tires?

As for driving in a heavy snow storm, I wouldn't do it no matter what vehicle I had. Travel with my 6 & 8 year old children is not that important to risk the hazardous road conditions.
Snowflake tires are severe service winter tires. This used to mean a gummy compound good for under 45 degree temps. (That isn’t the Bay Area in winter)

But that line is now permanently blurred with manufacturers coming up with tire compounds and tread patterns that allow 4 season usage at Bay Area climate range.

I do the drive and have em on my truck. Lasted 3 seasons and a lot of dry highway miles between Silicon Valley and North Tahoe. Once the tread gets below a certain point I use em through the summer n change em out in the fall around thanksgiving.

My safety and the safety of others is important to me so I don’t screw around with a set of tires.

I have used General, Hankook, and Nokian 4 season tires on my rig in some pretty sketchy Tahoe conditions.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
You don't necessarily need snow tires; especially if you're mostly in the Bay Area and the majority of your tire's miles is going to not be in snow. 5-6 trips a season isn't that many to justify the winter tires degrading the rest of the non-snow usage in my opinion.
Also most of the time the roads are going to be clear unless you are storm chasing, because global warming.

If you feel you are in a sketchy situation and potentially losing control and you can trust yourself for this judgement call; what you really need to do is stop and take a breath weigh your risks; and throw on a good set of chains despite having AWD and despite caltrans waving you through. You need to be responsible for your own safety if it's that bad.

If you know you're going to be a skier, and you know you're having the same car/tiresize, it's better to spend say $150-$200 on a set of chains that have features to make them easier to put on and take off, shovel, salt/grit or other emergency tools versus winter tires that you know for 99.9% of your miles won't be in snow.
That being said, you can still bias your choosing of All Season tires that are better rated for light snow; even though they aren't snowflake or winter rated.

I would say once you bump up your 6 trips more like to 10+ trips on a pre-determined schedule like ski team, then the winter tire option becomes more of a consideration.
Excellent points. I called and talked to the salesperson at Tire Rack and also Discount tire direct and they had a position similar to yours.

On the RX300 I currently have Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires with 8/32 of tread left that are about 2 years old.

I got the RX300 off a extended family member 4 years ago for only $3k and do most of my own work and haven't needed many repairs. When I got it I changed ALL the fluids, including front and read diff. In the four years that I have had it the alternator went out and one of the oil controls valves failed on New Years day in Truckee on the way home to the bay area.

If I got a RX350 for a good price that would be nice but I am not tied to Lexus.

I guess a good question to consider is for how much longer should I consider driving the 18 year old RX300 with 280k miles up to tahoe in the winter. I have the extended AAA towing so that is helpful but the real inconvience is being stranded on 80 with two kids in the winter.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
How do those kits account for CV shaft angle changes by lifting? 3.5" seems like a significant change that would mean wearing through those parts quick.

Nothing the OP is talking about necessitates a lift. Snowtires + AWD should be plenty sufficient.

Jokes, laugh a little!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Jokes, laugh a little!

I think you misunderstood my post. I was honestly curious re:CV angles. Ive posted many times all over this board about my lifted van and am curious about solutions for my next one. A lifted Sienna AWD that didn't eat CV axles for breakfast would be on the short list.

And the advice was to the OP -- who seems to be treading into new water re:snow tires etc. I was just clarifying that it was a bit overkill for his solution.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think you misunderstood my post. I was honestly curious re:CV angles. Ive posted many times all over this board about my lifted van and am curious about solutions for my next one. A lifted Sienna AWD that didn't eat CV axles for breakfast would be on the short list.

And the advice was to the OP -- who seems to be treading into new water re:snow tires etc. I was just clarifying that it was a bit overkill for his solution.

I understand, and looking through Sienna chat quickly, I can't find much wrt CV issues.

https://www.siennachat.com/forum/68...ybe-fit-3rd-gen-available-oct-1-2017-a-2.html

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
On the RX300 I currently have Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires with 8/32 of tread left that are about 2 years old.

I guess a good question to consider is for how much longer should I consider driving the 18 year old RX300 with 280k miles up to tahoe in the winter. I have the extended AAA towing so that is helpful but the real inconvience is being stranded on 80 with two kids in the winter.

6/32 is the depth recommended to change out the tires for winter driving. So maybe one more winter on that set.

Remember the biggest issue is hydroplaining on I-80 due to water flowing in the road between Colfax and Nyack so anything with a deeper tread to channel water is better.

That Lexus has a Toyota motor that's fairly reliable so long as the fluids were changed and the timing belt maintained. It will go forever.

Weak link was the transmission but you are gonna feel that one start acting up.

So long as you drive the vehicle on a semi regular basis and keep up with basic maintanence it should last longer than you may like having the vehicle in your driveway

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
its hard to evaluate how long the car will last, you are a better judge based on symptoms or signs it is showing you. At over 15years even ifthe drivetrain is solid, maybe random parts will give up. Like a random suspension part, or a window stops going up or starter gives out or something.

The other way to think of it is if you get a new(er) car you start the clock for getting the enjoyment on the new vehicle. Where do you see yourself in 5years in 10 years? Is it worth the stress and fear of breakdowns. Only you can tell. part of this is your finances too and if you can afford it or will the cost of this splurge really hurt or prevent you from other things now or in the future.

https://www.theonion.com/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-to-fact-that-owners-reall-1819577805

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

Revisiting this thread.

Decided to put the kids on the Diamond Peak Team next year so the plan is to make about 11 weekend trips next Season between mid December and mid March.

I was thinking of going to the junkyard and getting a second set of wheels and buying a set of snow tires or better quality tires for the snow. The idea is I wolud leave them on the vehicle for about three months.

Any recommendations on tires? The size is 225/70-R16

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Revisiting this thread.

Decided to put the kids on the Diamond Peak Team next year so the plan is to make about 11 weekend trips next Season between mid December and mid March.

I was thinking of going to the junkyard and getting a second set of wheels and buying a set of snow tires or better quality tires for the snow. The idea is I wolud leave them on the vehicle for about three months.

here are the discount tire direct winter tires:
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...ireCategory:winterTires&sort=price-asc&page=0

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier

In descending order of winter quality:
Michelin Latitude Xice X12
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Cooper Evolution Winter

You're lucky; tires a pretty cheap in that size.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Something you can also consider is a relatively new type of tire called "all-weather". They are good enough to earn the snowflake designation, but can be used all year like an all season because they have acceptable wear. That is what I'm looking at for my Audi when replacement time comes.

The two I'm looking at are the Toyo Celsius and Nokian WRG4. Those and any AWD should be good enough (you could keep Autosocks in the trunk for terrible conditions).

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Revisiting this thread.

Which vehicle are you putting the tires on?

If they are for the Sienna, also look for an AWD badge at the junkyard. Or, go to eBay.

I've got X-ice on two vehicles and love them.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Which vehicle are you putting the tires on?

If they are for the Sienna, also look for an AWD badge at the junkyard. Or, go to eBay.

I've got X-ice on two vehicles and love them.
2000 RX300 225/70-R16

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
In descending order of winter quality:
Michelin Latitude Xice X12
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Cooper Evolution Winter

You're lucky; tires a pretty cheap in that size.
I wonder how the General Altimax Artic 12 (made in Germany by Continental) compares to the Cooper Evolution Winter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You don't need them until next year...this is a good time and in the fall to keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Market. I have had some pretty good success scoring snows on their.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So, 200 mile drive but you only really need winter tires for the last 15 miles of the drive or so? I would go with the most comfortable/fuel efficient tires that work best on the highway.

I had that same issue when I lived in Texas and skied in NM for a season. I had a 2009 Honda Pilot AWD with Cooper AT3 tires. They worked great in all conditions year round. No need to switch tires which was awesome.

There is a great thread here about those type of tires ("hybrid" AT Tires) with the latest silica compounds.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
So, 200 mile drive but you only really need winter tires for the last 15 miles of the drive or so? I would go with the most comfortable/fuel efficient tires that work best on the highway.

I had that same issue when I lived in Texas and skied in NM for a season. I had a 2009 Honda Pilot AWD with Cooper AT3 tires. They worked great in all conditions year round. No need to switch tires which was awesome.

There is a great thread here about those type of tires ("hybrid" AT Tires) with the latest silica compounds.
Its a good bit more than 15 miles. More like 50 or so from Nyack? to Diamond Peak. Not sure the where the typical low spot is for chain control, but this past winter I recall it once being really low.

And it is not just the highway chain control I am concerned about, but the local driving from where I will be staying and the ski resort. Getting up and leaving the house at 8am the local roads may not be plowed. Especially going up driveways.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
You don't need them until next year...this is a good time and in the fall to keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Market. I have had some pretty good success scoring snows on their.
I'm a planner and just doing some research as to which tire to purchase.

Not sure how popular the size 225/70-R16 in the used market.

My plan is to get some around Thanksgiving during a black friday sale. Onsale with rebates, etc. I could most likely get a set of four tires for around $270 and then take them to costco to get mounted.

The current discussion is starting to diverge from the thread title. I think I will eventually start a new thread called "Winter Tires for a Tahoe - Bay Area Weekend Warrior"

Sponsor

Staff online