• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I am remembering an exciting drive down the mountain one day, when I didn't bother to put on the chains for the trip down after the snow gods dumped a foot of snow on the road.

Don't cheap out; get some real winter tires for that last 15 miles. The last thing you want to do is 2nd guess your choice of tires as you're forced to drift around those corners on the way down due to lack of traction (traction required for slowing down and turning, not just avoiding getting stuck). Yeah, wasting snow tires on wet or dry pavement is a drag, but not nearly as dramatic as not having them for that crucial time when they are needed.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our X-ice's spend most of their time on the front range on dry roads. One of the vehicles never goes into the mountains and the other only occasionally. They are very much worth having even if they only see snow and ice occasionally, IMO.

Next time around I might just put these new all-weather MIchelins on the car that stays on the front range. They are very well reviewed for snow performance:
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/cross-climate-plus

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister