• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for suggestions for a winter/travel/possible tow vehicle

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A roof top ski box will affect mpg.

With used prices being high and interest rates low, I would look hard at a new F-150 or other half ton 4x4. Nice to have a new truck that is not likely to have problems.

Heated seats a requirement? Get a $50 heated 12v car seat cushion.
Heated steering wheel a requirement? Get gloves. :duck:

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the problem with driving to the track is, you may not be able to drive home. It's the track after all...
Sadly, I have experience with this. Twice. Fortunately both times were mechanical issues only. Both times we had friends at the track jump in to help get our issues sorted out and get us home. We run with a great group, which is partially why we stick with it. I often compare my track community with my ski community! And yes, towing the track car is the obvious next step.

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or you just get over-exuberant and stuff it into the wall at a buck twenty.... :ogbiggrin: Or someone stuffs YOU at a buck twenty... :geek:
Always in the back of my mind!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
A roof top ski box will affect mpg.

With used prices being high and interest rates low, I would look hard at a new F-150 or other half ton 4x4. Nice to have a new truck that is not likely to have problems.

Heated seats a requirement? Get a $50 heated 12v car seat cushion.
Heated steering wheel a requirement? Get gloves. :duck:
You don't have to get that fancy with F-150s to get heated seats, it's the steering wheel that will get you. I added the wheel after the fact to my 2017, and it's so much more pleasant to be able to drive with a light glove (or none at all) without needing to have the cabin heat cranking, especially on longer drives (cooler cabin == more alert drive, at least for me).

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One more spin on the "which type" question. I currently have an F250 Diesel 4WD short bed and a BMW X5. Have had various trucks and SUVs for decades. To the towing question, a half ton will never tow as well as a big boy Diesel. If you are close to the track and will never tow farther than your local track, then no big deal. But, if you will be ranging all over creation with your trailer back there, then give serious consideration to the big boy. Pickup with crew cab and shell far out performs a Suburban for most things you would want an actual truck for (and I really like a Suburban). The surefootedness? yep, the X5 out performs the truck, but the truck is perfectly adequate...and I won't cry as hard if I bump a guardrail with the truck as I would with the X5. As for comfort, new trucks are plenty cushy these days. As the driver, I don't notice any meaningful comfort difference. My wife feels that her X5 feels MUCH more comfortable though when riding in the passenger seat of each.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd personally not want a 4WD truck as a ski vehicle, but AWD SUV with snows. With a box on top, you can haul a lot of gear. IME, my 4WD vehicles never had the sure footedness of AWD, and I tend to run the same rubber on all vehicles, so it is closer to apples to apples.

Our AWD SUV with SkiGuard box (one of the few boxes that don't look like a plastic garbage can - and they can color match) is perfect for my wife and I, and 75 pound Lab in a crate. With stufded Nokiams it is a beast in travels up and down the Rockies in winter, and was one if my go to vehicles for driving up the snowiest road in the world 5 days / week.
I completely concur with this. We had 4x4 trucks growing up. Drove them all over the farm and the state of KS. As I got older it included Colorado and the MTNs. A truck is not as capable in the snow as one of the AWD vehicles. If I was to ever go that route it would a Suburban because of the weight. Too much power and not enough weight for me.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I completely concur with this. We had 4x4 trucks growing up. Drove them all over the farm and the state of KS. As I got older it included Colorado and the MTNs. A truck is not as capable in the snow as one of the AWD vehicles. If I was to ever go that route it would a Suburban because of the weight. Too much power and not enough weight for me.
You can always add ballast if you're particular about the rear end being behind the front.

I'll concur on the huge difference in handling--I've had a Suburban, an Xterra, and my current F-150 in the modern truck/SUV category. The Suburban and Xterra were much easier to maintain slides in and drive for a while with the back end stepping out just a little.

The biggest feature I'd want from the Suburban that the F-150 lacks is the "auto 4WD" mode. The higher end F-150s have it, but mine does not, and in patchy snow or ice on pavement, it creates a dilemma choosing between 2wd and 4wd, neither of which is ideal.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love my Tundra CrewMax 4x4s. I’m on number 4 now. The design is a little dated but what I love is all I have to buy is gas, tires and endure normal maintenance costs. I can tell you I’ve had half ton Dodges, Fords and both Chevy and GMC trucks. None match the reliability of the Toyota, which is why I now continue to buy them. The 2022 is a new design and will be out in December’21.

If I wanted an SUV I go with a Sequoia. Ride wise in bad weather there ain’t beans difference between them though. The crewmax is very well balanced weight wise. I’ve had 2 Sequoias as well.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Outside the box: Smallest Ford Transit Crew Van with EcoBoost V6 and AWD.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
2 years ago (post retirement and pre Covid), Marcia and I drove west from our home in Massachusetts and spent February and (most of) March in the Salt Lake City area. We were able to borrow my son in law's pickup truck (2011 Nissan Titan Pro Crew Cab with a mid-sized bed). It turned out that the truck was perfect for our needs, and we are planning (pandemic allowing) to repeat this trip this winter. But alas, Josh is stationed back in the US and needs his truck. And while we have 4 vehicles (2 sports cars, 2 sedans), none of them is large to travel with all of our skis, clothes for two months, our 68 pound Golden Retriever, and our cat in a large carrier. I am anticipating that I will need to procure another vehicle to accomplish this trip. I am thinking that a large SUV may not give us as much flexibility as a pickup truck, and I am asking for the community's opinion on this. I am thinking that buying a pick up truck may be the way to go and I am looking for people's experience and recommendations. I am not buying new. In fact, my budget would probably limit me to trucks that are 4-7 years old with as many as 75,000 miles (and I am OK with that). I would like to spend less than $25-30,000. I don't need a ton of gizmos, but I do think that I will need 4 wheel drive and a crew cab; We like heated seats, cruise control, satellite radio, and similar features. I would love to have a bed long enough to lay my 180cm skis lengthwise and not at an angle. My track friends are all telling me that I will be putting my track car on a trailer and towing it sooner or later, so I may as well get something that has towing capabilities. Any thoughts/recommendation?
I would looking at 3/4 tons. I used to be a weekend warrior. I started out with a 1/2 ton and then ended up with a 3/4 ton. You know as you race more, you will accumulate more stuff. Now 3/4 in the snow, not the best combo at all with the weight. That is the rub as I see it. 1999-2003 Excursion 7.3 powerstroke.
@bbinder the saab, is it a aero?

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would looking at 3/4 tons. I used to be a weekend warrior. I started out with a 1/2 ton and then ended up with a 3/4 ton. You know as you race more, you will accumulate more stuff. Now 3/4 in the snow, not the best combo at all with the weight. That is the rub as I see it. 1999-2003 Excursion 7.3 powerstroke.
@bbinder the saab, is it a aero?
The Saab is a 2.0T sedan (4 cylinder turbo). We had a 2005 9-3 Aero that I had for about 9 years and put 115,000 miles on it. It was getting long in the tooth and we decided to sell it.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Answer: One of these, in good shape and reasonably low miles, that somebody actually wants to sell.

Question: What is a unicorn, Alex?! :ogbiggrin:
I know where 2 are , if your interested. I know of more but they want too much. N texas typically has some and oklahoma.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can always add ballast if you're particular about the rear end being behind the front.

I'll concur on the huge difference in handling--I've had a Suburban, an Xterra, and my current F-150 in the modern truck/SUV category. The Suburban and Xterra were much easier to maintain slides in and drive for a while with the back end stepping out just a little.

The biggest feature I'd want from the Suburban that the F-150 lacks is the "auto 4WD" mode. The higher end F-150s have it, but mine does not, and in patchy snow or ice on pavement, it creates a dilemma choosing between 2wd and 4wd, neither of which is ideal.
Always ran with ballast in the winter, bales, sand, snow. I’ve never had to add ballast to a subi. Trucks are great for what they are designed for, but the subi does so much more with less effort.

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always ran with ballast in the winter, bales, sand, snow. I’ve never had to add ballast to a subi. Trucks are great for what they are designed for, but the subi does so much more with less effort.
Probably true, but I cannot fit 5 pairs of skis, ski boots, clothing for two months, a somewhat large dog and a psychotic cat into a subaru and still have room for my wife and myself…

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know where 2 are , if your interested. I know of more but they want too much. N texas typically has some and oklahoma.

Though I love the OG Excursion with 7.3 diesel, I am going to stick with our brand new Transit Crew Van with EB V6.

Which we waited six month for.

If we can't get bikes upright in the back, it doesn't work for us!

IMG_0291.JPG

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Though I love the OG Excursion with 7.3 diesel, I am going to stick with our brand new Transit Crew Van with EB V6.

Which we waited six month for.

If we can't get bikes upright in the back, it doesn't work for us!

View attachment 144148
Bikes upright in the back of my F250 with the cab high shell. #likeadream