• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for suggestions - removing cold boots at the end of the day

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I am looking for some suggestions or advice on how everyone with a rather stiff ski boot 130 Flex or higher are getting out of them after skiing in them all day and into the night? I can get into my RC4 140's just fine in the morning when they are warm but man after a day of skiing in 10-15 degree weather it takes every bit of my strength to pull my foot out of the boot. I have tried pulling my foot out of the liner and also pulling the liner out of the shell with my foot still in the liner. The hardest part is getting past the area over the top of my high insole.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Push knee forward like a telemark move, then push hard down on just heel/rear part of liner/boot

same move as you would to remove liner from shell
Yup, that's what I do as well. Use the stronger parts of your body (bones) to open the shell.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The only way I can get mine off on a cold day is to head inside and let them warm up for a few minutes. I have Lange RS130's; if they're cold, they're basically unbendable.

If this was normal times, I'd say "get a hairdryer".

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
one of these really helps

1614032016482.png

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
The only way I can get mine off on a cold day is to head inside and let them warm up for a few minutes. I have Lange RS130's; if they're cold, they're basically unbendable.

If this was normal times, I'd say "get a hairdryer".
I was hoping to use a hair dryer and if I could sit inside I would. I tried to run one from my truck but my inverter is not big enough.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, I suppose that I might, pending my future membership of the YC (Ha!), relate my methodology for getting the darned things off in the cold. It is based on the concept of "something has to give" and in this case, something is one's foot. Push the tongue as far forward as possible etc. etc. Then, sitting down, place the other ski boot on the top rear boot bit, and push. It is at this juncture that it is acceptable, nay, obligatory to swear and curse in the most atrocious terms. However, it does achieve the end result. Moving on to the next boot, one may only have one's street shoe on the newly released foot, but the process can in fact be repeated. This is then a good time to drink a beer or other alcoholic beverage to dull the memory of the pain. However, the key in all of this is to use one's leg muscles to achieve the otherwise impossible: tugging with hands just doesn't cut it.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you have a lace-up liner and are willing to go in/out racer style (liner on your foot, then into the shell), then UHMW tape performs magic. Put a 1" strip down the rear spine of the boot and another down the middle of the bootboard. Liners slip in/out much easier.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was hoping to use a hair dryer and if I could sit inside I would. I tried to run one from my truck but my inverter is not big enough.

Here you go.

Be careful.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to use the hair dryer method with my old Koflachs, but inside the patrol shack. I once spent 1/2 hour with the boots under the heater in my car. Time in the bar was always the preferred method. Now I have the easy-peasy Mach 1 120 MV comfy slippers - no problem.

You have a truck. Throw a generator in the back.
You're welcome.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Buy a heated boot bag with a 12 v plugin, stuff your boots (and feet) in the bag and have a snack while you wait.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming good range of ankle motion: I unbuckle and press my knee forward as far as I can. I stick my hand down the back between my leg and the liner, palm to the back and hooking my thumb over the top of the liner. Push down with hand while lifting heel and pressing down with forefoot until I start to come out. Then either wiggle the rest of the way or on colder days whack the heel of the boot against the ground. This is all while standing; I can't do it while sitting. Raptor 140. Some days are harder but I've never had too much of a struggle even on days in the low teens or single digits.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cabrio design ski boots are way easier to get on and off. You could consider changing to boots of that design.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Lange RS130's; if they're cold, they're basically unbendable.

Ermmm..dunno about that. Skied in them down to -20C and while they do stiffen up I do not remember struggling excessively removing them-both with stock liners and ZipFits.

I hear quite a few horror stories about Raptors tho...

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
If you have a lace-up liner and are willing to go in/out racer style (liner on your foot, then into the shell), then UHMW tape performs magic. Put a 1" strip down the rear spine of the boot and another down the middle of the bootboard. Liners slip in/out much easier.

I have lace-up liners and I am willing to go in/out with them on. When you use the UHMW tape do you just tape the shell and bootboard or do you put a strip on the liner down by the heel? Would gaffer tape work better on the liner with UHMW tape on the shell? Also do you put the UHMW strip down the entire back of the of the shell from top to bottom or how far down the shell do you start?

Sponsor

Staff online