• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for suggestions - removing cold boots at the end of the day

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I don't think you'll need the boothorn, but if you do use it, then add a strip of the tape down the boothorn too.
Good idea I will do that too. The boothorn is pretty slippery already but every little bit will help. I was even trying to figure out a way to slip the boot horn behind my foot or liner to help with removal but it isn't ridged enough to do that.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just discovered this thread: like others in plug boots i just dread the drill of getting out of cold boots , outside , at end of day.
I ski a Head B3 plug ( lace up liner) : to boot up i have a folding alu chair to sit in and pre spray the lace up liners with a ski boot specific silicon spray just before sliding into the warm shells fresh out of my old fuxi racing heated boot bag.
Getting out at days end ( worst part of a day on the hill truth be told) I’ve found first step is walking back to car with all buckles open and Booster loosened. Then: sitting on the rocker panel of my SUV is just the right height to let me drive my knee way forward in boot ( buckles fully released obviously) to get space btwn liner and shell... put my gloved hands in that gap and push forcefully backward on shell while simultaneously driving knee / liner as far forward as possible untill liner heel comes up and half way out of shell. At that point I pull my hand out; extend the leg with half in / out liner in shell out in front of me and place the toe of my other foot into the now big gap between shell and liner and push down prying the shell fully off.
Then I rest! And repeat process for other side, Not much fun, total PITA, but reliably effective.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just discovered this thread: like others in plug boots i just dread the drill of getting out of cold boots , outside , at end of day.
I ski a Head B3 plug ( lace up liner) : to boot up i have a folding alu chair to sit in and pre spray the lace up liners with a ski boot specific silicon spray just before sliding into the warm shells fresh out of my old fuxi racing heated boot bag.
Getting out at days end ( worst part of a day on the hill truth be told) I’ve found first step is walking back to car with all buckles open and Booster loosened. Then: sitting on the rocker panel of my SUV is just the right height to let me drive my knee way forward in boot ( buckles fully released obviously) to get space btwn liner and shell... put my gloved hands in that gap and push forcefully backward on shell while simultaneously driving knee / liner as far forward as possible untill liner heel comes up and half way out of shell. At that point I pull my hand out; extend the leg with half in / out liner in shell out in front of me and place the toe of my other foot into the now big gap between shell and liner and push down prying the shell fully off.
Then I rest! And repeat process for other side, Not much fun, total PITA, but reliably effective.

UHMW tape is your friend. Just sayin'... :)

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
UHMW tape is your friend. Just sayin'... :)
I picked up some UHMW tape and lined the back of my shell and footboard with it. What a difference getting the boot off. I struggled removing the boots even at room temp but now after using the tape my liner slides right out. Can't wait to try it in the cold. Hopefully the tape stays stuck to the shell and foot board. Wish it had the sticking power of gorilla tape.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I picked up some UHMW tape and lined the back of my shell and footboard with it. What a difference getting the boot off. I struggled removing the boots even at room temp but now after using the tape my liner slides right out. Can't wait to try it in the cold. Hopefully the tape stays stuck to the shell and foot board. Wish it had the sticking power of gorilla tape.

Ive been using the 2” tape in my boots for the past month. Hasn't budged with me pulling/pushing my foot/liner in/out everyday. I was skeptical of its sticking power at first.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a ski friend who is in her 80s with arthritis (I think), Anyway, she puts a plastic bag on her feet to aid entry/exit and then skis all day in plastic bag wrapped feet. Probably warm but damp. I suggested trying a Boothorn but she wasn't interested as she says that her method works fine. :huh:

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
Ive been using the 2” tape in my boots for the past month. Hasn't budged with me pulling/pushing my foot/liner in/out everyday. I was skeptical of its sticking power at first.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if 2" tape would work and good to hear you are using it. I am going to send back the 1" tape and get 2" instead so I don't have to put multiple layers in the boot and foot board.

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I have a ski friend who is in her 80s with arthritis (I think), Anyway, she puts a plastic bag on her feet to aid entry/exit and then skis all day in plastic bag wrapped feet. Probably warm but damp. I suggested trying a Boothorn but she wasn't interested as she says that her method works fine. :huh:

Good ole days.....

152627365_2486721464969411_7870798083323399170_n.jpg

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I saw that online and wondered how well that worked. I saw this online as well but I don't have room for this in my boot bag. What is interesting is none of these show them taking off stiff flex boots. They all are taking off boots that open up like a can opener and they just pull their foot straight out like the shell isn't even there.

Personally I like the UHMW tape that seems to be the best option, works well and I don't have to pack anything extra in my bag.

2021-03-02 14_44_10-Window.png

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

My tape hasn't had any problems at all for the areas I covered in the shell. Looks the same as the day I installed it. And I really don't think 2" is needed, but I guess some people live by the adage that if some is good, more must be better. ;)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I saw that online and wondered how well that worked. I saw this online as well but I don't have room for this in my boot bag. What is interesting is none of these show them taking off stiff flex boots. They all are taking off boots that open up like a can opener and they just pull their foot straight out like the shell isn't even there.

Personally I like the UHMW tape that seems to be the best option, works well and I don't have to pack anything extra in my bag.

View attachment 126370
Yeah, no.
I watched the video in the link to figure out what it was and how it worked. While it certainly makes it more convenient to take off a regular boot in that it grabs onto the heel lug and holds the boot down (you step on the flat part to hold the debooter down), that's all it does. Taking off my cold Koflachs would still require Herculean strength to lift my foot out, and the boot might still crush the bones as they go through the narrow throat of the boot. A boot spreader or a hair dryer, or both, works much better. That's assuming you have at least half-good balance.

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
Yeah, no.
I watched the video in the link to figure out what it was and how it worked. While it certainly makes it more convenient to take off a regular boot in that it grabs onto the heel lug and holds the boot down (you step on the flat part to hold the debooter down), that's all it does. Taking off my cold Koflachs would still require Herculean strength to lift my foot out, and the boot might still crush the bones as they go through the narrow throat of the boot. A boot spreader or a hair dryer, or both, works much better. That's assuming you have at least half-good balance.
I agree I don't think those are meant for people with stiff boots. I was watching the video and the first thought that came to mind is I would snap that thing in half if I used that on my cold boots.

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
My tape hasn't had any problems at all for the areas I covered in the shell. Looks the same as the day I installed it. And I really don't think 2" is needed, but I guess some people live by the adage that if some is good, more must be better. ;)
That is good to know Noodler that it stays put. I put two 1" strips down the back of the shell and the foot board because when I looked at where the heel of the liner touched the spine of the shell a 1" strip only touched the very center of the heel. I wanted to make sure that the entire heel edge was touching the tape to reduce friction and wear on the liner. It works great this way but would be much cleaner install with 2" tape. I bought the tape on Amazon and I have free returns.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That is good to know Noodler that it stays put. I put two 1" strips down the back of the shell and the foot board because when I looked at where the heel of the liner touched the spine of the shell a 1" strip only touched the very center of the heel. I wanted to make sure that the entire heel edge was touching the tape to reduce friction and wear on the liner. It works great this way but would be much cleaner install with 2" tape. I bought the tape on Amazon and I have free returns.

I guess what I wasn't considering is that folks in a wider boot with a potentially wider liner are going to have more "contact" with the back of the boot. I'm in narrow boots/liners, so the contact area is reduced.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the folks who are having issues with the adhesive on the UHMW tapes. You can always rejuvenate the adhesive with 3M VHB tapes.

James

Out There
Instructor
The biggest nightmare I’ve ever had wasn’t the Lange zc plug, which when very cold you are not getting off, but a Fischer race boot.
This is coming out with the liner on.

The Fischer has a spoiler in the back that’s screwed in two places. The bottom edge of this spoiler is quite thin. What can happen is as you come out, you put pressure on the top of the spoiler, the bottom moves forward and catches the heel of the liner. You don’t know this has happened, you try harder to get out. This makes it worse. Now, you’re stuck as the spoiler has dug into the liner, you can’t go back in or get out. You’re trapped! It really is diabolical how well it catches.

I think the first time this happened I loosened up the laces and pulled the foot out of the liner. So to prevent this, I tape the bottom of the spoiler. Eventually however, just when you’ve forgotten about the issue, the tape fails and you get stuck again. The solution was always going to be to add two more screws to the bottom, but I moved on before that.

If you don’t have the slippery tape, silicone spray greatly helps on the inside of the back spine. I avoid spraying the footboard, I don’t want a slippery base. Some people actually put sandpaper on the front part of the bootboard for grip.

Sponsor

Staff online