• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking to find the Lowest Volume 100-110 Flex Race Boot

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Piggybacking on Amy's thread. Similar feet.

Loving my Atomic Redster Ti 110 boots. Purchased at start of last season. Fit by Diana at Harb Ski Systems. Best fit i have ever had in 40 years of skiing.

My right foot is smaller than my left so it's fit has never been as perfect as the left but still good. I have maybe 60 days on them now and they feel as though they are getting looser. Is it possible that the stock liner (believe it has memory fit) is already packing out, or is it my imagination? I was under the impression that these Atomic liners weren't supposed to do that.

If the former, I thinkng I would go for inserting ZipFits which would fix the left right discrepancy issue as well?? I had ancient Zipfits in my previous boots, but they are too big for these shells.

Advice please.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it possible that the stock liner (believe it has memory fit) is already packing out, or is it my imagination? I was under the impression that these Atomic liners weren't supposed to do that.
Yes, every liner will settle in, some more than others. It is more exaggerated in preformance fits.
If the former, I thinkng I would go for inserting ZipFits which would fix the left right discrepancy issue as well?? I had ancient Zipfits in my previous boots, but they are too big for these shells.
If it is just the one boot that is gaining a little room, I would concentrate on that boot before starting from scratch with new liners, even Zipfits.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil. Good advice..

It is both. The left is still functional though. The right less so. After 40 years of Frankenboots I have learned that is isn't easy to reduce volume. Do you have a preferred method?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After 40 years of Frankenboots I have learned that is isn't easy to reduce volume. Do you have a preferred method?
Depends on where the volume needs reducing. I have found it is easier to increase volume than to take it up. My general rule of thumb is when I am fitting a person that the feet are different sizes, a recreational skier (a person who skis) I will fit the bigger foot and accommodate the smaller one, a more advanced skier (a skier) I will address the smaller foot and accommodate the larger one. Again, this is a generalization.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too late! Lol.

Generally roomier. Foot is shorter. And room in the ankle heel area. Very high instep that complicates things because cranking down or raising bed not an option. I was also thinking about maybe putting something in the toe to help push the foot back and also keep the instep in the higher part of the boot. Or maybe in the heel if the other puts the ankle pocket in the wrong place. Dies that seem viable?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was also thinking about maybe putting something in the toe to help push the foot back and also keep the instep in the higher part of the boot.
Tongue shim trimmed to stop before the instep?

Thicker tongue with work to free the instep?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Too late! Lol.

Generally roomier. Foot is shorter. And room in the ankle heel area. Very high instep that complicates things because cranking down or raising bed not an option. I was also thinking about maybe putting something in the toe to help push the foot back and also keep the instep in the higher part of the boot. Or maybe in the heel if the other puts the ankle pocket in the wrong place. Dies that seem viable?

Whatever solution you choose, I would think it would have to have the liner choice as a critical component in making the solution work. To that end, either a ZipFit or a custom foamed liner would probably be needed to accommodate the differences. My preference is the ZipFit since it can be easily and continually "tuned" to adapt to your needs.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
Tongue shim trimmed to stop before the instep?

Thicker tongue with work to free the instep?

This videos are great!
Piggybacking on Amy's thread. Similar feet.

Loving my Atomic Redster Ti 110 boots. Purchased at start of last season. Fit by Diana at Harb Ski Systems. Best fit i have ever had in 40 years of skiing.

My right foot is smaller than my left so it's fit has never been as perfect as the left but still good. I have maybe 60 days on them now and they feel as though they are getting looser. Is it possible that the stock liner (believe it has memory fit) is already packing out, or is it my imagination? I was under the impression that these Atomic liners weren't supposed to do that.

Advice please.
Before going down the path of a whole new custom liner - along the lines of what Zirbl said about a tongue shin, since you’re on Redster TI, you could experiment with a thicker tongue from Atomic’s V3 tongue system, if you haven’t already. IIRC, the Redetee TI comes with thinnest tongue (red HV tongue). They also have an MV and LV (thickest one). Atomic sells the tongues direct one their website.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This videos are great!

Before going down the path of a whole new custom liner - along the lines of what Zirbl said about a tongue shin, since you’re on Redster TI, you could experiment with a thicker tongue from Atomic’s V3 tongue system, if you haven’t already. IIRC, the Redetee TI comes with thinnest tongue (red HV tongue). They also have an MV and LV (thickest one). Atomic sells the tongues direct one their website.
This is a great idea, actually. And @Jerez, I have some tongues I would sell you for cheap. Pre-packed out, too! They are the itty bitty size. Heck, I could part out my liners although I'm not sure how packed out they are.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all.

I don't think the tongue is the issue. The extra room is in the foot, not the leg. I guess I should suck it up and make an appointment to see the boot fritter again. Ugh. Maybe next season.

My old Zipfits lasted many years and are still occasionally used. So if I go with new liners, it would probably be that.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the tongue goes all the way down over the forefoot. It absolutely takes up volume.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW thank you @Floyd47the videos. They are very well done.

going to be conservative and start with a making a "keyhole" (lol) over the instep bone and see if that allows me to buckle the boots enough to hold everything down.

Then I'll go to a tongue shim minus the instep part.

Then I'll try new tongues from @AmyPJ

If all that fails, it should be summer and I'll go see the bootfitter.

Its not that the boots are horribly sloppy. Just enough to be noticeable so that an instructor friend asked me if there was an issue with my right boot. So apparently it is apparent in my skiing.