• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking to find the Lowest Volume 100-110 Flex Race Boot

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine should arrive next week, how stiff do you find them compared to a 130 recretional boot?
I’ve never skied a130. I took a couple runs and they feel fine but I need to get the cuffs moved in before I can ski them more.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More observations: the Redster forward lean feels LESS than The ZJ. :huh: The ramp angle of the boot board looks less. I’m debating moving the forward lean of the Redster to 17. Cuff adjustments first, though. And I won’t be needing to make any room, either.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's been a bootfitting session for the last 6 pages.

So the Lange's stated 12 degrees of forward lean are greater than the Atomic's 17? Would that be related to the interplay between forward lean and bootboard - is Lange's really 4 degrees? - or does Lange's info differ significantly from the actual product`?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been a bootfitting session for the last 6 pages.

So the Lange's stated 12 degrees of forward lean are greater than the Atomic's 17? Would that be related to the interplay between forward lean and bootboard - is Lange's really 4 degrees? - or does Lange's info differ significantly from the actual product`?
Hard to know--this just goes to show you that leg length, ankle mobility, foot size, and so much more play into what forward lean actually shakes out to for each skier. There are some amazing threads on the forum that discuss it ad-nauseum and I've been referring to those in the past two days to gain a better understanding of what I need to aim for in "net" forward lean. I have 20 degrees of dorsiflexion (no surprise there.) If I go by the "net forward lean" goal of matching that, then I need to gain 6 degrees from a spoiler and lifting the toes (hopefully inside the boot.)

I moved the cuff to the 18 degree setting today and it was moderately better. Where I noticed the lack of forward lean the most was (obviously) on steeps and in powder/crud. I loosened the top buckle and Booster and it helped more, which tells me a lot. So, I'll try a spoiler next and a temporary shim on the forefoot of the boot board. I will say that this boot allows no lateral movement in my forefoot and it also supports my ankles that like to collapse inward, even with custom molded Boot Doc footbeds. With that, on moderate pitches I was having an absolute blast on my Nela 88s.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 20 degrees of dorsiflexion (no surprise there.) If I go by the "net forward lean" goal of matching that
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you want to match 20°? I have a lot of dorsiflexion range and would rather have a stiff enough boot to keep me from using anywhere close to my full range. My Fischers are at 14° with the option of 17 or 18°. I tried that and felt like I was going to flex on my face. The Fischers are a 130 and when I was lighter the were fine. I've since put on a bunch of pounds and crush them. Hmmm...lose weight or new boots...

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you want to match 20°? I have a lot of dorsiflexion range and would rather have a stiff enough boot to keep me from using anywhere close to my full range. My Fischers are at 14° with the option of 17 or 18°. I tried that and felt like I was going to flex on my face. The Fischers are a 130 and when I was lighter the were fine. I've since put on a bunch of pounds and crush them. Hmmm...lose weight or new boots...
You don’t. You net it. The formula is in a thread @KingGrump posted earlier.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You don’t. You net it. The formula is in a thread @KingGrump posted earlier.
To elaborate, you take the forward lean of the boot and subtract the ramp angle of the boot board. So for me, that's 18-4=14. I have 20 degrees of dorsiflexion, so in theory I need to net another 6 degrees of forward lean to match the angle of my tibia. Both Otto and Bud had outlined this formula in other threads about a year ago. I never quite understood it, but it's making more sense now. The net forward lean isn't all from the cuff in situations like this. It can come from the toe or heel of the boot board, too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are some amazing threads on the forum that discuss it ad-nauseum and I've been referring to those in the past two days WITH THE HOPE OF CONFUSING MYSELF TO THE POINT OF NO RETURN.

FIFY!

J/K -- good luck with the new boots.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oohhh internet boot fitting session coming up!

I've been monitoring this thread as @AmyPJ and I have been on parallel boot searches.....
and I certainly understand working with a top notch fitter is paramount (and I have)
but.... @Tricia and @Philpug any thoughts on a cage match comparisons for boots based on category?
or maybe a new segment -- Stump the fitter ...... Live boot fitting on Friday nights? any way to get into a master boot fit session as the 'difficult to fit foot model?'
:popcorn:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and @Philpug any thoughts on a cage match comparisons for boots based on category?
or maybe a new segment -- Stump the fitter ...... Live boot fitting on Friday nights? any way to get into a master boot fit session as the 'difficult to fit foot model?'
:popcorn:
Oh HELLS NO!!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Find Waldo’s Boots:

3DB93D2A-2030-43B0-AC6B-46B7D1905D0A.jpeg

Phil and Trish listening for other suggestions on internet bootfitting-
A10F6356-6A62-4AE8-B04E-5530DF09B11D.jpeg