• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking to find the Lowest Volume 100-110 Flex Race Boot

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some heated socks and they’re…weird. And yeah, an aftermarket liner is in my future.

How's the fore foot width on the STI? Do you feel the foot moving laterally in the boot?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How's the fore foot width on the STI? Do you feel the foot moving laterally in the boot?
The right one just a hair, but the toes have way too much up and down. The left foot isn't too bad but I still have to buckle them really tight.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
People can add stuff to the stock one on top.
Stick a 1/16th bontex in there, maybe two.
Got new footbeds with more built in posting and slightly higher volume. I can still stick the "volume reducers" that came with the boots in there but am hoping to not. I did get the LV tongue (no MVs to be found) and it has helped, too. Canting done on the left side which is nothing new--will ski them tomorrow but the footbeds did take up more volume and things are feeling pretty dialed.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:yahoo: Holy shit. I do know how to ski! Now to figure out the boot heater or heated sock situation with a race liner, because the Lenz heated socks I have that are quite old SUCK. They are baggy and sweaty.

For the first time ever, I was able to put pressure towards the back of my arch/heel and feel how it would help the tail hold and finish the turn. No more stem turns. I felt the sidecut engage perfectly on wedge turns. Tip zee knees and ride zee skis! So effortless. No push move to stay balanced.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:yahoo: Holy shit. I do know how to ski! Now to figure out the boot heater or heated sock situation with a race liner, because the Lenz heated socks I have that are quite old SUCK. They are baggy and sweaty.

For the first time ever, I was able to put pressure towards the back of my arch/heel and feel how it would help the tail hold and finish the turn. No more stem turns. I felt the sidecut engage perfectly on wedge turns. Tip zee knees and ride zee skis! So effortless. No push move to stay balanced.

Yay, so happy for you! Boot issues are the worst!!!

Simonsays

Booting up
Skier
This is what I was told as well, just pre punched in common areas. But if that common area is where you are narrow......

FWIW this has been discussed, albeit a few years ago....

And yes, the 'windshield wiper effect' is utterly frustrating and so discouraging -- the fact that you could be secure in the heel and instep while feeling your foot just slop back and forth in the boot..... it is a loss of control. Clearly not the same as having some "wiggle room" in the toe box....

Learnt something new there always assumed it was a different last for the Lange 92+. Out of interest how would a manufacturer punch boots at scale, consistently to produce the 92+?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was -2 with a high of 10 yesterday, and the boots were bricks and I struggled. I don't know of many boots that wouldn't turn to bricks in those temps. Today, it was about 15 degrees and they felt pretty good. I skied my new Rossi Experience 82ti today and had a blast. These boots are begging me to get some zippy little SL skis, I think. Today was the first straight-up groomer day in, well, all winter so the first day I was thinking how much fun a narrower ski would be. The 82s were pretty capable, though. I am able to pressure towards the heel in the boot and really feel the tails of the skis. This is a totally new sensation for me, and it's really fun!

I have to say that if someone with a decent skill set is struggling to pressure different parts of the ski using the foot, then their fore/aft is probably off. I had to work so hard in the ZJs to find a good balance point, and I was constantly fighting for that balance. Skiing is already a chain of events in rebalancing, having the boots add to that dynamic is not efficient nor enjoyable.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So yeah, I'm kind of LOVING THESE BOOTS! The more I ski them, the happier I am and the more I realize how hamstrung I have been all these years by shells that were just too big. The lack of the "windshield wiper" movement of my foot inside the boot is really confidence inspiring, and I think I can put into play so much of what I've learned over the years that used to just frustrate the crap out of me because I had so much foot movement inside the boot.

One issue I've had all along but I am even more aware of it now since everything else feels so solid, is the tail on my left ski is washing out and is making skiing crud a real bear. I am trying everything under the sun with some coaching to make it stop but I think there is still an alignment issue at play here and was hoping to get some ideas to experiment with. I'm not sure if I need some posting on the left footbed near the heal at the back of the arch, or the cuffs need to be adjusted again, or what. I know I have some crappy habits that I need to break that I developed largely I believe due to boots that were sloppy, but I'm suspicious of my alignment not helping me because it's much harder for me to stand balanced on a super mellow green run on my left foot than on my right. The tail wants to wash out there, too and it's really difficult to pull that leg back and keep it up under me. I am skiing low-to-mid angle moguls more and more, which is kind of amazing for me!

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So happy for you Amy. Sometimes it really is the arrow as well as the archer!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One issue I've had all along but I am even more aware of it now since everything else feels so solid, is the tail on my left ski is washing out and is making skiing crud a real bear. I am trying everything under the sun with some coaching to make it stop but I think there is still an alignment issue at play here and was hoping to get some ideas to experiment with. I'm not sure if I need some posting on the left footbed near the heal at the back of the arch, or the cuffs need to be adjusted again, or what. I know I have some crappy habits that I need to break that I developed largely I believe due to boots that were sloppy, but I'm suspicious of my alignment not helping me because it's much harder for me to stand balanced on a super mellow green run on my left foot than on my right. The tail wants to wash out there, too and it's really difficult to pull that leg back and keep it up under me. I am skiing low-to-mid angle moguls more and more, which is kind of amazing for me!

First, glad you love the boots. Fun when something works.

Second, your issue above begs for internet assistance -- NOT.

It's too complex, IMO. Probably a fairly simple alignment thing, once a pro looks at you in the boots from front, sides and back.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
First, glad you love the boots. Fun when something works.

Second, your issue above begs for internet assistance -- NOT.

It's too complex, IMO. Probably a fairly simple alignment thing, once a pro looks at you in the boots from front, sides and back.
I don’t disagree BUT having alignment checked indoors gets one close to the target and I’ve done that, but some stuff needs tweaked on snow. Since I can experiment to an extent, sometimes getting an idea from the forum gives me some things to consider and possibly try.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t disagree BUT having alignment checked indoors gets one close to the target and I’ve done that, but some stuff needs tweaked on snow. Since I can experiment to an extent, sometimes getting an idea from the forum gives me some things to consider and possibly try.
Would it help to take video to then show a fitter? Then maybe they will have some ideas of things to troubleshoot on snow further.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Or. Your personal L3 can do a movement analysis and tell you if alignment vs technique
He's convinced it's always technique. He did give me a drill to do today, and the left ski just kept washing out. I am already skiing so much better with the new boots--so much more confidence. I think it's a combination. I am skiing with a retired DECL this weekend and will ask him specifically about the tail washing out. For me, the big red flag is that I can't ski one footed on the left ski easily, yet I can on the right. I might just need to do a ton more one-footed skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online