• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Loqski

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not sure how it works with fat powder skis, maybe you might have to leave out the poles.
I works for up to 86mm skis. I used it with 99 and just put one ski in with two poles.. Who's gonna take ONE ski?? With the kids I just locked one of my ski/pole and one of my son's ski/poles together...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ogg said:
A $10 pair of wire cutters will defeat most ski locks on the market. Many don't even require that much. I think it would take a bit longer to finagle the brakes off than snip and go
I grew up in Brooklyn. ;)
Objective is to slow things down enough so the thief moves on to an unlocked pair instead. This one would just require a phillips screwdriver or Leatherman bit to take the brakes off right??

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt that the capability of removing the brakes is going to matter much: the point of the item is not that it is 100% secure, but that it would add sufficient extra time to the process of stealing the skis that the (usually) opportunistic thieves who are ready to pile a load of skis into a van and hightail it outta Dodge will go on to the next skis and leave the Loqski skis alone.
I doubt the thief would remove the brakes. It's easy to just grab the pair and throw it in the truck. If at the base, I would lock it to a structure. However, I do like that they can be locked together without use of a structure. Many of our skis have demo bindings so I worry more about mid mountain thieves. I usually split my skis with Bob. We put one of his with one of mine. The length difference is noticeable and should slow a thief down.

I still want one of these locks though!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It really looked like it requires a standard cable lock that loops through the device to secure it to a rack or pole. Is that included or sold separately?

It comes with a 4mm cable with looped ends. I bought a slightly heavier cable to use with it. I don't expect this to stop anyone who's prepared to steal skis and comes with wire cutters. It's just a deterrent to get the thief to move to another pair of skis.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Am I the only one who still just splits their skis and poles at the racks? If a thief really, really wants my gear, then they're going to have to work for it... ;)

And for those unaware of the "technique" - it's best to flip one ski around so that when looking at the top of one, you can only see the base of the other from afar. I've even put one ski and pole tip down in some places. Of course this only works in crowded racks, but that's really where the biggest concern lives.
we will typically switch with each other and just go in different directions- so mismatched skis and poles....

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
On the older model, I was able to use it with my skis, but it didn't work on my son's skis - by utilizing the middle hook - and attaching it to the brakes.
It is well built for sure.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used my Loqski for the first time today. At first it was a bit awkward to get around the brakes but after a couple tries it got to be pretty easy. I ended up using the loop cable that came with the Loqski instead of a longer, thicker one I had purchased. The one that comes with the Loqski is light and coils nicely but I wish it was about a foot longer. Looping it around the post at the end of the rack was easy but if I had to loop it around the top horizontal tube it wouldn't have worked. I will say that I think the loop is necessary to consider this a secure solution. Without the loop anyone can still pick up the skis and walk away.

Overall I'm happy with the product and only wish that I had waited and got the plastic version to save the weight.

Sponsor

Staff online