• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Marshall Mountain, Montana: hasn't operated since 2003, still for sale with a $700k price reduction.
Marshall Mountain, a former ski area just a few miles from downtown Missoula, is under contract to be sold. The 156-acre property features a lodge and has been recently used for mountain biking, backcountry skiing, races and events. It's not clear who the new owner is and whether they'll still allow the public to use the land. The property was listed for $2.15 million. Dawn Maddux of Engel & Volkers in Missoula said she can't disclose the buyer due to Montana law.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So this is the first place I ever skied. Yes, now a lost ski area, Eastover Resort in Lenox. MA. Looking at the picture it's almost hard to tell which way the slope runs down! The rope tow ran right up this side of the tree line (and the fence was not there!) In lace leather double boots, wood skis w/screwed on edges and cable bindings. Yes, the 'hold your arm straight up in the air and the ski tip reaches your wrist', was how they sized your skis.

Straight down the hill and had no idea how to stop and into the woods.(I had a few minutes before the first lesson was to start). After watching a few folks grab the rope tow I gave it a shot and got back to the 'top'. Now with the group also waiting for the lesson, a guy skis up to the group and stops in a tip stand in front of us. With an Austrian accent he says his name is "Omar, I'll be your instructor!" He is sporting Head Master metal skis, LOOK Nevada/Grand Prix bindings and Rosemount boots. WOW! THAT made a big impression... I was seven.

And the rest is history!

View attachment 442
Dave, this is the first place I ever skied as well having grown up about 5 miles away. If I remember it was a rope tow and or a T-bar ? Somewhere , I have a list of areas in this area that are long gone. Some were nothing more than a rope tow on a sloping cow pasture, a way for the farmer to earn a few bucks in the winter. Of course it seemed at least that we got more snow back then ( 60’s-70’s).
The point is, that skiing was accessible to almost everyone who wanted to participate.

Sal Tuscany

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In the early 80’s I was a graduate student at Marshall University in Huntington WV. One season I taught at Lakewood Village in Cattletsburg KY, across the Ohio Rive, near Ashland. Every week I taught a couple of weeknights and weekends. About 400 vertical feet and two rope tows. One of the runs was steeper and got bumped up. After my lesson I would just do laps over and over.

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier
Never skied Skyline. I am thinking that my great grandfather Charles Anderson might have skied or jumped there. He was born in Sweden, immigrated as a child to Oakland NE ("Swedish Capital of Nebraska"), and eventually farmed in Griggs County about 40-50 miles from Skyline.

1452836640.jpeg

CalTopo hybrid satellite view of Skyline.

From No Fall Snowboarding by Danny Martin.

The ski jump at Skyline was more famous than the alpine runs.

Interesting photos of Sully's Hill ski jump.

Sully's Hill jump from Ski Jumping Hill Archive.
Also see: http://www.mwlsap.org/northdakota/nd.htm#skylineskiway

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier

“I couldn’t even walk up and ski a run or two,” he said, “but at least I now know where Nebraska’s one and only ski hill used to be.” Arnie Wilson may need to stop back...

Actually Nebraska has had a least 3 skis areas -- Prairie Hills in Kearney, Nebraska (early 90s), and Devils Nest up by Gavenspoint Dam in Northeast, Nebraska (early 70s).

Below photos from the internet of Devil's Nest Ski Area-sometime I need to drive up there and check it out.
View attachment 5493
View attachment 5494
[/QUOTE]
Midwest Lost Ski Areas Project - http://www.mwlsap.org/nebraska/ne.htm

There is a site dedicated to this topic, they are on my list of people to contact to see if we can share content.
Several Sites:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The latest I've heard about various lost or maybe-lost ski areas in the Western US... anyone have any newer info?

• Ski Rio, New Mexico: hasn't had lift-served skiing since 2000. It's up for sale again, so any rebirth will likely wait on new owners.

I skied Ski Rio once - a year or 2 before it closed. Remember being disappointed as they said the lift with the black runs would be open. Was closed.
It is/was very rustic and old school -like MRG, Taos, or Blue Knob, PA.

Black Crows ski co just released a well done video of history and 2 French guys recently skiing at Ski Rio NM 20 years after it closed !

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are apparently two lost ski areas in Kansas, where I lived for 27 years. Never made it to either of them.

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier
Never skied Skyline. I am thinking that my great grandfather Charles Anderson might have skied or jumped there. He was born in Sweden, immigrated as a child to Oakland NE ("Swedish Capital of Nebraska"), and eventually farmed in Griggs County about 40-50 miles from Skyline.

1452836640.jpeg

CalTopo hybrid satellite view of Skyline.

From No Fall Snowboarding by Danny Martin.

The ski jump at Skyline was more famous than the alpine runs.

Interesting photos of Sully's Hill ski jump.

Sully's Hill jump from Ski Jumping Hill Archive.

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier
funny, drove by (~mile marker 428.5) but as noted, since you can't see it .. never knew.

good story on Gretna Breeze from 2 years ago:
http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/gretna/s...cle_c35a3505-f1f6-57c9-b9e8-ac06b4cb3558.html

For years after they closed you could see the top of the chairlift from the interstate, but then they finally took it down.

Especially for the Midwest I don't think Trailridge (later named Nebraski after Sapp Brothers purchased it) was oriented the ideal direction for snow preservation.

View attachment 5491
[/QUOTE]

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier

mwlsap

Booting up
Skier

Sponsor