• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lots of questions: experienced and inexperienced skier at the same time.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In my example, that 20% increase in force is generated simply by having an extra two inches with all else being equal. Generating force is more than just weight and strength. For example a block and tackle allows a 100 pound woman to lift a one ton load by giving her mechanical advantage. A longer tibia gives a person a mechanical advantage. That's just basic physics.
The issue is not all things are equal if the shorter leg is stronger than the longer leg. Yes a block and tackle works but it is a distance vs weight you have to pull on a lot of rope to move the weight a short distance. I don't see how that applies to skis.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
The issue is not all things are equal if the shorter leg is stronger than the longer leg.

If a person's longer leg is as strong as another person's shorter leg, and they weigh the same, it will make a difference.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If a person's longer leg is as strong as another person's shorter leg, and they weigh the same, it will make a difference.
In my earlier post I said that my longer leg was weaker than my friends shorter stronger leg. Anyway we both ski on 170 CM skis. BTW he is also 7 years younger than I am. Just in case you are wondering we both have the same BSL so no difference in the foot leverage.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
So how does a person go about optimizing length?
I still feel more solid on 200 - 203 old skis, than on 173 modern waisted skis.
The modern skis make if far easier to turn. But when things speed up, they don't feel long enough for confidence.

smt

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The modern skis make if far easier to turn. But when things speed up, they don't feel long enough for confidence.

smt
You have partially answered your own question. The thing about modern skis is that they like to always be turning. Kind of a twitchy feeling as compared to skis from the 80s. It's true that they don't do straight lining like old style skis, but once you have made your peace with that sensation, you can then unlock the wonder of modern skis.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

What are your 173 cm skis? Lots of difference between a 173 14m radius ski and a 180-185 19-20 m + race carver or Masters GS ski.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
[/quote]What are your 173 cm skis?[/quote]

Short answer :Atomic Vantage, from the barely used sports store, probably 2019 demos, last year.

As related in the longer answer linked below, my first experience on modern skis.
I like them a lot. They (& the cornacopia of modern You Tube videos) have made me a better skier in a short season than i ever became in 50 (discontinuous) years up to that point. They even cause me to ski the old school skis better, once an hour or so into the transition hump back and forth.

I'll definitely use them as i try to learn to ski bumps again.
On modern groomers, which barely existed at the time i last skied, the old skis often seem as much or more fun.
Maybe just for the strange looks & double takes. :)

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure which model Vantage you have, but you may want to try something longer and narrower underfoot-I think you'll be surprised and relegate your antiques to decoration status.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are your 173 cm skis?[/quote]

Short answer :Atomic Vantage, from the barely used sports store, probably 2019 demos, last year.
[/QUOTE]

I think the hive would like to also know your height and weight to more fully answer your question.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not sure which model Vantage you have, but you may want to try something longer and narrower underfoot-I think you'll be surprised and relegate your antiques to decoration status.

Narrower did strike me it could be better on the local ski areas.

I think the hive would like to also know your height and weight to more fully answer your question

Posted elsewhere, but 6'-0"
As i noted, "160 lbs +/- about 4 throughout a year. 157 in my shorts currently, but tend to gain through the winter and likely get up over 160. Gradually lose again over summer. & No, at 68, not as agile as 20 yrs ago but still good balance & still work the occasional short term construction job. Slower, less stamina.

thanks!
smt

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not as accomplished as others here at recommending ski length, nor am I directly familiar with the Atomic Vantage, but I would venture to say that 173 cm is a bit short for you. I have read through a few of your posts and have an idea of your capabilities. I'm your age and am comfortable skiing the whole mountain. At 5' 8" and 140#, I find that either side of 170 cm is my sweet spot for ski length. In the late 80s, my longest pair of skis was like 201 cm, the Dynastar GS ski with the red bump on the tip. I would think that, depending on intended use, your target length in modern skis would probably be in the 175-180 cm length. Longer in that range for a groomer zoomer favoring long turns or a wide powder ski. Shorter in that range for a ski favoring short, snappy turns or spending a lot of time in bumps. As your skills develop, you may want to look longer, but at that point, you will have acquired the experience with modern ski design to know much better what suits you. Others may want to weigh in.

Last edited:

Go West Skier

Booting up
Skier
Advice... Say with Phil's " marry your boots date your skis" mantra... to me the best advice.
With regard to height and weight... height, if you are in good form, can give you more leverage over the skis... physics... but there are other variables besides just height and weight... athleticism, prioperception, strength and technique... I know many heavier skiers that still can't bend a ski due to poor technique...and some light weights who can really bend it.... Don'y over analyze and over think... Boots first! ... lessons, practice... the rest will come as you move forward---

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

smt
First, two things.
Thing 1: You are comparing a new all round intermediate ski to an old expert ski built fo speed. That's kinda like comparing a 2015 Kia Soul at 115 mph to a 1969 Super Bird (ok not as bad as that, but you get the idea) and saying newer cars are not as stable at speed.
Thing 2: The side cut makes the ski turn when you put it on edge by interacting with the snow. If you don't choose which edge, the ski reacts randomly with every imperfection and tries to turn randomly. Pick an edge.
Choosing length is easy. Choose length by your weight according to where you fit in the wieght range of skiers and bump up or down by where your speed fits in the range of skiers on the hill.
Choosing ski is hard. If you want to ski fast choose a ski that is built for speed. If you want to make lots of small turns pick a short side cut ski. Wide and rockered for powder. Skinny and full cambered for hard snow. Compromise If you have to.
Keep those skis on edge.