• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lots of questions: experienced and inexperienced skier at the same time.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
You are getting some good advice here in that focusing on finding the right boot & correct fit are #1. I will add that part of that equation will be finding/building a proper custom foot bed. That in itself will help solve some of the foot articulation issues.
The fact that you were a professional figure skater almost means that you already know how to ski but now you are just adding a slope to it or tilting the rink. The fact that you are an eastern skier and skater makes me think that you may appreciate a narrower slalom type ski as a tool to develop your skills on snow.
The perfect instructor for you would be one who also understands skating and can teach you to transfer the skills from one to the other.
I don't see any evidence she needs custom footbeds - she was just saying he can rotate her feet inwards and outwards within a super loose boot. Even with the perfect footbed, you can move your feet like that in loose boots. Custom can't hurt, but might not be needed with the right trim-to-fit being OK. I'd suggest she may even know based on what she uses in her skates - that is how easy it was to have her skates feet the needs of her feet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Remember your skating skills, its all about balance and edge feel, skiing is identical and almost similar in what is involved, only your blades (skis) are longer.
This is correct, especially with hockey skates, but the OP is into figure skating and skis don't have Toe Picks or what ever they are called.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't see any evidence she needs custom footbeds - she was just saying he can rotate her feet inwards and outwards within a super loose boot. Even with the perfect footbed, you can move your feet like that in loose boots. Custom can't hurt, but might not be needed with the right trim-to-fit being OK. I'd suggest she may even know based on what she uses in her skates - that is how easy it was to have her skates feet the needs of her feet.
I have custom skates. Most of the time, unless you have severe foot problems (for example, pronation that isn't a muscular issue), we don't need footbeds at all in customs in skating. Something about how the boots are designed. I'm no boot fitter so idk. I do pronate and am working on fixing that in physical therapy, so I think I will probably need them for ski boots.

I just wear Superfeet in everything (running shoes, hiking boots, heels, skates if I can't get my hands on a custom skates when I need them) following the direction of a physical therapist that works with elite athletes and figure skaters. She said it was a fairly good match for my foot.

And yes, according to what I've seen here about the fit being similar, the boot is way too loose. It feels like a slipper.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
This is correct, especially with hockey skates, but the OP is into figure skating and skis don't have Toe Picks or what ever they are called.
We only use them for jumping and show tricks. The more important difference between figure skates and hockey skates (for general skating around, not the higher level stuff involved in the two sports) lies in the boot, not the blade. The blades are fairly similar.
Edit: we get deductions in our skating skills mark for hitting them too much.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The biggest difference I find between ski boots and skates is the flexibility around the upper ankle/leg. Skates generally I have most tightness in lacing in the mid foot area. I have a lot of flexibility in the upper ankle area for mobility. Ski boots lock in your upper ankle/leg area more. In both cases though, you don't want your heel lifting.

1638053705068.png

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski boots lock in your upper ankle/leg area more. In both cases though, you don't want your heel lifting.
That's what I thought. Because if the heel comes up you can't control it anymore. It's just doing what it wants at that point.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We only use them for jumping and show tricks. The more important difference between figure skates and hockey skates (for general skating around, not the higher level stuff involved in the two sports) lies in the boot, not the blade. The blades are fairly similar.
A sharp skate is hollow grind blade, a sharp ski has a slight beveled edges. But the movements are very similar.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
A sharp skate is hollow grind blade, a sharp ski has a slight beveled edges. But the movements are very similar.
I meant the blades of hockey vs. figure.

But that's interesting to know.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple of rules of thumb about boots:
--If they're comfy in the shop, they're likely too big.
--The boot fitter can make the boots bigger but not smaller.
--(Stated above) Expect to return to the fitter for adjustments as you get some hours in the boots. They need to be tight and without discomfort. Expect a hot spot or two, and the fitter will fix that on your next visit.

Skis: Good used skis are fine, as well as used demo skis of the previous year's version. As long as they are suitable for you. There are many very good skis out there. Not many of those will suit you. As Phil said in post #14...sub-80 mm waist width, carving which means more of an hourglass shape...maybe a side cut radius of 15 meters or less. In general as skis get longer they get stiffer. And expert level skis will be stiffer than intermediate level of the same size. Women's softer than men's, 'cuz the ladies don't ski hard (:doh:). You need skis that respond to the energy you put into them, your weight, your speed, somewhat your height. Give us the make, model, and size of skis that you're on now. Give us your height and weight and whether you ski fast, medium, something in between. What type of terrain do you like to ski on? Powder7 is a shop where I've bought excellent used demo skis at a very fair price. You will probably find suitable skis locally as well.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Greetings from another MA skier! I call Wachusett my home hill. Definitely focus on the boots first. But you also mentioned your skis. You said Roxy twin tips. I know Roxy had more out about a decade ago, then I don't think they had anything until the past couple of years. You say you bought them used, making one of the older models more likely. What model are they, and what bindings are on them? If the bindings are too old and no longer on the indemnified list, you might run into problems if you buy new boots and go to have the bindings adjusted to them.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Greetings from another MA skier! I call Wachusett my home hill. Definitely focus on the boots first. But you also mentioned your skis. You said Roxy twin tips. I know Roxy had more out about a decade ago, then I don't think they had anything until the past couple of years. You say you bought them used, making one of the older models more likely. What model are they, and what bindings are on them? If the bindings are too old and no longer on the indemnified list, you might run into problems if you buy new boots and go to have the bindings adjusted to them.
I got the bindings adjusted two years ago and they were fine. Has anything changed since? Is it possible to get new bindings? I'm willing to do that if need be.

@Henry I can get a look at the actual make and model soon.
For now here's the preliminary info that I can remember. They're Roxy twin tips. I believe they're length is one-forty-something but it might be one-fifty-something? Not sure to be honest. I'm 166 cm, 52 kg. I'd say I ski medium to fast ish? Not as fast as the people who ski all the time, but I'm not slow. I ski lots of moguls and do some lower level park stuff. As for more standard trails, mostly blacks and double blacks (is that a standardized measure??). That's the most fun part of skiing to me though I understand that I need to build up my basic technique too. As for technique (just so you know what you're dealing with), I have been told I don't really sit back and never break out of parallel. The biggest correction I get is not getting enough of a lean, especially on tighter turns. Oh, and I'm female.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got the bindings adjusted two years ago and they were fine. Has anything changed since?
Yes, each year the indemnified binding list changes. New bindings are added, and older models are dropped off the list. That doesn't necessarily mean the bindings are unsafe, just that reputable shops won't want to adjust them anymore.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
reputable shops won't want to adjust them anymore.
For liability and ethical purposes, reputable shops cannot adjust them, test them, or do any other work on them.

They aren’t “indemnified “ because the manufacturer has tested their products and determined that they are no longer safe, and they will not accept liability for any accidents resulting from their continued use.

Sorry, @skiki - you weren’t wrong, but I felt the urge to show off. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is a couple times a month fine for someone like me who is experienced in learning new skills? And anyone know good coaches that could address my base technique and park technique

I understand that I need to build up my basic technique too. As for technique (just so you know what you're dealing with), I have been told I don't really sit back and never break out of parallel. The biggest correction I get is not getting enough of a lean, especially on tighter turns.

You *will* get to the point where the two sports diverge a noticeable bit, especially when it comes to upper body rotation, tip lead, and front to back pressure management. The answer to the first question really depends on how well you manage the divergence.

On the upside, you can pretty much ignore the Fitness forum :D

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IMHO a ski boot should fit like a cast. You will get best results with a boot selected by a good boot fitter for your foot, with a liner selected for your foot (maybe custom, maybe not) by a good boot fitter and a custom foam injected liner.

It's the same physics in skiing as in skating, just different equipment extending the body and different points of application of external forces. You control your foot, the boot transfers all the forces to the ski, effectively making the ski a foot you control. Mushy boots are like trying to steer a car by having you hands loosely connected to the steering wheel with rubber bands.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
You *will* get to the point where the two sports diverge a noticeable bit, especially when it comes to upper body rotation, tip lead, and front to back pressure management. The answer to the first question really depends on how well you manage the divergence.

On the upside, you can pretty much ignore the Fitness forum :D
Yeah I have noticed that. They do feel very different to me. It took forever for me to stop putting pressure on my heels, though. Because if you did that in figure skates you'd fall on your face and I was also kind of scared and leaning backward was kind of a false safety blanket. Funnily enough, the lean correction I get on skis is the same correction I get when I'm skating. Always wanting a bigger lean. I like my upright axis, thank you very much :) but I'll have to get off it at some point. Hopefully that some point can be the present.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I remember the first time @ADKmel showed me how to get forward and assured me it would give me better control (by weighting the front of the skis). That run still sticks in my mind. It was a steep - for me - trail and having such good control was a revelation.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember the first time @ADKmel showed me how to get forward and assured me it would give me better control (by weighting the front of the skis). That run still sticks in my mind. It was a steep - for me - trail and having such good control was a revelation.
Oh god it is life changing. Unfortunately, I've found that in almost every sport I've tried, the stance that gives you the most control is also the scariest when faced with a new challenge until it becomes muscle memory. I get the pleasure of getting to see the looks on peoples faces when they find how to press into the front of their ankles without falling on ice.