• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lots of questions: experienced and inexperienced skier at the same time.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Hockey blades have a radius, figure skates are near flat towards the rear of the blade. Think of the difference between race skis and park skis, each are dedicated to different applications.
The specialized purpose is true, but I was talking about general skating, not specialized purpose. It's technically called a rocker or (in context of the entire blade) a profile, not a radius (radius is the hollow you sharpen). And that's a common misconception. Figure skates will have anywhere from 8.5 feet to 7 feet. Hockey blades are anywhere from 13 feet to 7 feet (most common being 9' and 11') so they're actually usually flatter.

Last edited:
TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
You sure that's the word? On inline skates I've always heard it called "rocker," just like on some skis.
They do have a radius. That would be how deep the sharpening is. Not what they meant, but it is a thing.

ETA and the rocker is measured in a radius of a circle which makes it a bit confusing.
ETA2 and the profile is a combination of rockers.
I'll never hesitate to over-explain skating equipment because I've worked with it a good bit. So if anyone wants to get into skating (especially if it's figure, I know a bit about hockey, inline, and quads though) DM me haha.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They do have a radius. That would be how deep the sharpening is. Not what they meant, but it is a thing.

ETA and the rocker is measured in a radius of a circle which makes it a bit confusing.
ETA2 and the profile is a combination of rockers.
I'll never hesitate to over-explain skating equipment because I've worked with it a good bit. So if anyone wants to get into skating (especially if it's figure, I know a bit about hockey, inline, and quads though) DM me haha.
The ski shop I worked also sold skates as well, mostly hockey skates and some basic figure skates. We used the Bauer sharpener to do our customers skates. It did a good job, but we didn't have the sophisticated skater mostly highschool hockey players. Some of them went on to college hockey but very few.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Tomato tomato......
Nope, not tomato tomato. Because radius has a completely different meaning when it comes to blades. Would be like calling the binding the ski. A binding is simply not a ski. Calling it a clippy would be different (as far as I'm aware, no part of a ski/boot/equip setup is called the clippy).

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Forgot to look for my ski make/model today, oops. Will try to remember tomorrow.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
About 20 of those hours in small group lessons with a good ski instructor. The remaining hours were spent messing around.
There's one component missing from this. Hours devoted to focused practice. An instructor should give you homework at the end of a lesson.
I may be wrong, but I think this fast improvement came from me being a professional figure skater.
Oh yeah. :golfclap: It's like skating with training wheels.
Compared to how my skates fit, my ski boots are very, very loose...my heel moves a great deal....
Not good.
I can pronate and supinate my foot without the boot moving with my foot at all.
Many would say it's good to be able to do a small amount of that. At least not to have a style of footbed that blocks it, unless you have anatomical issues requiring that high level of support. (But the heel shouldn't lift or move around.)
[M]y ski boots don't only move a teenly little bit until I try to move my whole leg (so originating the movement from the hip instead of the feet). Is this normal?
Sounds like part technique, and probably part equipment. Aim to originate actions with foot movements, but then involve substantial movement in the hip sockets for all but the tiniest actions. Let the one lead into the other.

Have a great time, I think you have a wonderful attitude.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Unfortunately, I've found that in almost every sport I've tried, the stance that gives you the most control is also the scariest when faced with a new challenge until it becomes muscle memory.

Practice on gentle greens! Not so scary, except that you go a little faster. But you can feel the control, and it is a good feeling.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Practice on gentle greens! Not so scary, except that you go a little faster. But you can feel the control, and it is a good feeling.
I already ski blacks and double blacks in the proper stance, but this is great advice for someone at the beginning of that journey. I'll definitely do this a couple times before hitting the steeper slopes since I didn't get to ski last season.

Many would say it's good to be able to do a small amount of that. At least not to have a style of footbed that blocks it, unless you have anatomical issues requiring that high level of support. (But the heel shouldn't lift or move around.)
Is not small movements. Pretty big movements. At least for a foot lol.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@nightingale the best thing you can do to improve your skiing is get to a good boot fitter and invest in a well fit boot. Skis and bindings are important but purchasing a good fitting boot is going to help you improve more than anything else. In your profile you shared that you are in MA. I am sure someone here can recommend a good boot fitter near you or maybe just across the state line. Others have said that your boot needs to feel like a cast and I would go one step farther and say it should feel like your foot and boot are like a brick. Not cut off your circulation but not being able to slide around inside, that includes not having the sock slide. Since nobody mentioned it you should also use a thin sock when purchasing a boot, don't let anybody tell you that you need thick warm socks. I don't know what if any socks you use inside your skates but thin socks are your friend when skiing with control.
I am editing this because I want to add that you should have the boot fitter do a cuff alignment to the upper part of the boot shell. I don't think anyone has mentioned the cuff alignment as part of the boot fitting process. Make sure you bring it up when trying on boots.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How often should I be skiing if I just do it for fun but don't want to lose skills. Especially in the park (I'm sure I won't lose my crap 180, but if I ever learn new things, I don't want to lose them). Is a couple times a month fine for someone like me who is experienced in learning new skills?
I’ve read this whole interesting thread and I don’t think anyone addressed this particular question. I’m not sure I know the answer, if there’s one correct one. But I’ll give it a shot.

Since you already have muscle memory from figure skating that translates nicely to alpine skiing, you may not ”need” to ski as often as somebody without your background. My first guess is twice a week would be a good start to gaining new skills and maintaining your old ones. Of course, more often is better IF you’re focused on improving, and you are.

However, how often do YOU want to ski? You’re doing this for fun, so do what feels right for you and your schedule. You don’t want skiing to feel like a job; you want to feel excited to get out there each time.

You know now you need new boots and you’ve got some great recommendations for fitters. As for skis, I do think that a carving ski would help you improve faster and that would also probably translate your figure skating skills faster. But boots first.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Since nobody mentioned it you should also use a thin sock when purchasing a boot, don't let anybody tell you that you need thick warm socks. I don't know what if any socks you use inside your skates but thin socks are your friend when skiing with control.
I use these. Most skaters do thinner, but the thinner socks rip really easily and at 11 dollars a pair, 30 hours a week skating... not happening. The added friction (good friction, not blister friction) is also a plus in really making sure my foot doesn't move. But if I need to go thinner in skis, so be it.

I’ve read this whole interesting thread and I don’t think anyone addressed this particular question. I’m not sure I know the answer, if there’s one correct one. But I’ll give it a shot.

Since you already have muscle memory from figure skating that translates nicely to alpine skiing, you may not ”need” to ski as often as somebody without your background. My first guess is twice a week would be a good start to gaining new skills and maintaining your old ones. Of course, more often is better IF you’re focused on improving, and you are.

However, how often do YOU want to ski? You’re doing this for fun, so do what feels right for you and your schedule. You don’t want skiing to feel like a job; you want to feel excited to get out there each time.

You know now you need new boots and you’ve got some great recommendations for fitters. As for skis, I do think that a carving ski would help you improve faster and that would also probably translate your figure skating skills faster. But boots first.
I literally just signed a show contract that requires I don't ski for a month and a half (literally ends right before my family ski vacation thank god) so... that sucks. But I think I could get once a week in with my life right now when that ends.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just to clear up the skate thing, radius is a geometric term with meaning (distance from the centre of a circle to the edge of the circle). Both blade hollow and blade profile are measured using a radius. For the hollow, you typically have a radius of 3/8" to over 1".

1638215615266.png

For the profile, you typically have something between 7' and 12'..or any combination thereof. You could have a 7' on the front, an 8' on the back and a 10' in the middle.
1638215565708.png

It's kinda interesting to see which NHL players use which hollow and profile...