• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Love the ice?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on down, @Tony Storaro - you are going to love a season at Thredbo. (There will be short periods when the snow is fresh and soft. But not to worry - just wait a night or two and it will firm up.)

I will. One of my lifelong dreams. To have an endless winter. I am actually planning it and Thredbo is where I want to go in Oz.
Skiing among crocodiles, koalas, wombats and stuff...I mean..what's not to like? :yahoo:
Some day...

The sound of this snow...it immediately reminded me of...home :ogbiggrin: I've been skiing this for the last 2 weeks as presently this is the only dish on the menu

-You want some fluffy powder? Sorry luv, no can do.
-Want fresh? Next week maybe.
-Soft? Nah, not today.

:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

So it is either sharpen your edges every day or stay at home.

BTW by "quiet" I meant "without the hhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr scrapping noise" :ogbiggrin:

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wasn't at SP last week but any freeze/thaw/freeze that occurred only impacted the lower 300-500 vertical feet, which is fairly normal when B.C.'s almost annual January thaw happens province wide

Time I was there was mid Feb to late March. Mostly that freeze was low - eg just below the level of the road crossing Cruiser/Blazer. A couple of times it was higher - like just where the pitch steepens after that flattish section descending under Sunburst. One of those days I remember really well as it was a Teach Exam and the 1st candidate kept taking us (his students) back into the ice firm, noisy snow whilst up top on Crystal the snow was awesome.

Been firm other places atm. Got a report from buddies at SS re the death cookies, marbles, golf balls and ice. Just like his home hill back in Ontario. :(

Skiing among crocodiles

Sorry, no crocs at Thredbo. ogsmile

If you ever head there give us a shout.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love ice!!

I also love hole #4 at Longbow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Been firm other places atm. Got a report from buddies at SS re the death cookies, marbles, golf balls and ice. Just like his home hill back in Ontario.
In lean snow years or lean times generally Sun Peaks does better than most, partly because of SP's extensive summer grooming program. But also SP gets a little less snow that other resorts so when the mild weather arrives, SP gets less rain and usually remains a little cooler with less temperature fluctuation than the other resorts. SP skis better between storms than most.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
In lean snow years or lean times generally Sun Peaks does better than most, partly because of SP's extensive summer grooming program. But also SP gets a little less snow that other resorts so when the mild weather arrives, SP gets less rain and usually remains a little cooler with less temperature fluctuation than the other resorts. SP skis better between storms than most.

They are back in pow today. Hope SP got its share.

Of the 3 resorts I've skied in that general area Big White gets the most and most frequent snow but also the most limited vis days - its so frequently in the cloud band. SP gets the least snow however as you say the pitches are pretty much cleared of rocks so they don't need much. SS is in between for snow and has very entertaining terrain.

All 3 don't get many firm snow days - thank goodness - but it does happen. (Yeah, I know the Eastern skiers like to pretend the Westies don't know what firm is. :ogbiggrin:) With all respect, @Tony Storaro , that firm stuff hurts and the older I get the more candy-ar$.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Of the 3 resorts I've skied in that general area Big White gets the most and most frequent snow but also the most limited vis days - its so frequently in the cloud band. SP gets the least snow however as you say the pitches are pretty much cleared of rocks so they don't need much. SS is in between for snow and has very entertaining terrain.
Right now Sun Peaks has a 172cm alpine snow base which is more than Big White or Silver Star; not the norm, but it happens.

SP was supposed to get 2-4cms overnight but they got 8cms. You could make snowballs out of it on the bottom 500'vert, but real pow on the upper mountain, real foggy as well. So where the vis was good the snow wasn't and where the snow was good , the vis wasn't. :huh:

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
You ski what's in front of you mate, sometimes you don't get to choose. :ogbiggrin:
If you can't ski what you love, you learn to love what you ski.

Skiing practically always beats not skiing. But wussie-ness rises with about the 50th power of snow firmness - o being pow, 1 being unmarkable boilerplate. Still out there, just doing a little defensive rolling at the ankles and not a lot of toppling. Then again, neither is anyone else.

I assume "it" means ice, aka "firm" snow. I've been seeking it out lately, as a challenge worthy of respect.

Yeah, there's good snow. And then there's snow that's good for us.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume "it" means ice, aka "firm" snow. I've been seeking it out lately, as a challenge worthy of respect.
I sincerely hope you have cast off this dirty habit by the time we ski together next.

Sponsor