• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Love the ice?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never understood the hand drag. Is it a technical movement?
Nah. It's an extra feeler for where you are, in big angle turns, when you focus on the gates rather than where your hip is and also a place where to tuck the pole when not needed :geek:. King of the hill Marcel successfully used it, more than many times, as extra support to stay upright... Racers tend to do that, in SL turns, but only to be allowed when the skier is hip to snow and won't let that hand drop unwind counter...

Maybe we can get some of the instructors here to analyze their skiing and suggests drills to correct their technique.

dm
Hmm. after looking at myself, I figure you can open the drill book at any random page and it'd come in handy... :geek: ... Except for the one on page 11. That one is different.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@razie-as extra support to stay upright. That's what I figured. Thank you. Also in powder. Extra White room time. ogwink

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Right now would really love to ski some ice (or anything else).
Me too!
I actually prefer a few days of consistent firm snow for my first times out. It really gets me in the zone, allows me to find the sweet spot & lays a foundation for the rest of the season.
A couple years ago opening was a full on powder storm day, I wasn't complaining ;)

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Not sure if covered already - besides ski design and edge sharpness, a ski wears out over time (less torsional and longitudinal stiffness) and will no longer hold an edge no matter how sharp the edges.

Save these skis to make a chair out of them, if you have the storage space and chair-building interest.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whatever you want to call that thing that the skis don't leave a mark on.

That type of "snow"! :geek:

Not sure if covered already - besides ski design and edge sharpness, a ski wears out over time (less torsional and longitudinal stiffness) and will no longer hold an edge no matter how sharp the edges.

Has anyone actually measured this reduction in torsional stiffness? Seem to remember some-one did do some basic measurement and didn't find any reduction. (@Dakine ?)

Who's the person here who measures this stuff on new skis? Maybe he can look at the data from some used skis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry, couldn't help it

Now back to your technical discussion.. carry on..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No.
Cat's whiskers.
Both.. Some almost touch.. Some actually brace..
Outrigger. Some folks even got special pole grips to facilitate

1636676366583.png

Both

Attachments

• 1636676424519.png
    1636676424519.png
    621.9 KB · Views: 24

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Second one is not actually dragging his arm in the snow at all (no spray), just sayin' ;) and actually bends the outside ski, unlike the first one. No outrigger, it's a feeler :ogcool:

Last edited:
TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just remembered I had this somewhere, from a race warmup long ago, seems appropriate to add a visual or rather an audio cue

If that's the unmarkable "snow" that's good, gutsy stuff. :thumb:

Best I can do in those conditions (torrential rain followed by freeze) is roll the ankles to an edge and that's about where it stops. No way am I committing much further. Too much of a candy ass. Then again, neither was anyone else.

Of course you edges must be prepared properly, but that is just one element of successful skiing on ice. it is mostly about technique and of course steepness and tactics.

2020 in Australia was a below average season. Even in a good year there's occasional rock strike but 2020 was not good. The trouble with carving is that every point on the edge passes through the same point in the snow so one concealed rock undoes the tuning effort in an instant. French steel no match for mountain granite.

Gets painfully expensive when your $130 shop tune from yesterday's damage gets hosed the 1st run of the new day. :rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid