• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Mad River Glen: A Bucket List Trip

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As many of our readers know, Mad River Glen has long been on my bucket list of places to ski, so for my 50th birthday, Phil said he’d do his best to make a trip possible.

As luck would have it, the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame and International Skiing History Association were having Snowsport History Week at Stowe, Vermont, a relative stone’s throw away. As the week’s events came closer, it seemed that the weather would not cooperate and that MRG would have to close before we would make it there. Alas, I thought I was going to miss my long-awaited journey to see if I could, indeed, ski it. But during our day with the SkiEssentials guys at Stowe, we heard that the storms that had hit (and were continuing to hit) the East Coast were making it possible for MRG to open for one last weekend!

As we pulled up to MRG, I was not disappointed, nor was I surprised. It looked exactly like I thought it would: rustic, understated, and chill. Most of all, it was covered in a beautiful blanket of snow.

After booting up, I made my way to the infamous single chair and took the most peaceful ride I’ve ever had. The trees along the lift line were covered with melting ice and snow that made them look like they were covered with sparkling Mardi Gras beads.

IMG_4789.JPG

Phil came up behind me at the top and said, "Follow me,” so I did. My first turns at MRG were on Catamount Bowl, which was covered with 6 to 8 inches of heavy snow on top of refrozen East Coast bumps. This was the beginning of a warmup run that most certainly warmed me up. I continued to follow Phil on what I later found out was one of his favorite combinations at MRG: Catamount Bowl to Lynx to Beaver. Fortunately, Phil took me on a mellow run for my second run to cool down a bit and get geared back up for another Catamount-Lynx-Beaver lap to round out a fun adventure where we skied with a few MRG locals.

IMG_0725.JPG.jpeg
@Tricia skiing Lynx (photo by @Philpug)

We finished skiing partly because the snow started to deteriorate and partly because the lift line was growing, and then savored the day with burgers and Bloody Marys on the deck while we watched the crowd and enjoyed the vibe.

MRG Deck.jpg

Before we loaded the car and headed out, we stopped at the shop to get a souvenir to commemorate this 50th birthday/bucket list day. While looking at t-shirts, hats, and other such things, my eye was drawn to a set of rocks glasses, which I can happily say have already been put to good use.

MRG Glasses.jpg

I would like to thank MRG's new general manager, Matt Linnard, for the professional courtesy. Matt and Phil go back to his days at Magic Mountain.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I live 500 miles from MRG and I didn't make my first visit until I was 56. I loved it so much I subsequently returned two more times in fairly quick succession. For skiers it's like a nostalgia trip on steroids. IIRC you guys were lucky the place got recent snow to be open for your late season visit. Way to bring it with you!!! I have a small collection of pint glasses from favorite ski areas and MRG is one of them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I live 500 miles from MRG and I didn't make my first visit until I was 56. I loved it so much I subsequently returned two more times in fairly quick succession. For skiers it's like a nostalgia trip on steroids. IIRC you guys were lucky the place got recent snow to be open for your late season visit. Way to bring it with you!!! I have a small collection of pint glasses from favorite ski areas and MRG is one of them.
Jim, you are absolutely correct while there are iconic resorts like Stowe or Cannon, there is no resort the size of MRG that has the must go to vibe of MRG.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The death of a souvenir :(

The souvenir single chair rocks glass met it's demise a few weeks ago when I went to sit it down and missed the edge of the stool I was sitting it on.
When the glass shattered, so did my heart...just a little.
Every time I pour a glass of whiskey I feel a bit sad that the single chair is no longer in my cabinet to choose from.
#thisiswhyIcanthavenicethings
IMG_4844.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The souvenir single chair rocks glass met it's demise a few weeks ago when I went to sit it down and missed the edge of the stool I was sitting it on.
Every time I pour a glass of whiskey I feel a bit sad that the single chair is no longer in my cabinet to choose from.
View attachment 182356
Drinking a beer as I read this out of a Mad River Glen beer pint glass :beercheer:

Just another excuse to come out east and Ski It If You Can-find the time that is, I know you can ski it.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread makes me even more snow ready - and it's been in the 70's here, 78F yesterday at work !

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 182356

So thanks to @ilovepugs this arrived on my doorstep today.
I can't convey how much I appreciate this thoughtful delivery.
We are getting some snow so this makes it even more special on the delivery timing.

I’ll keep an eye out for a replacement once the general store is open!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied there my second full season of skiing, 1977. I remember seeing the "Practice Slope" above the lodge and saying...oh geez, what do the real slopes look like??? :roflmao:

Edit: just realized they renamed it "Race Hill"...more accurate. The chairlift is still called the practice slope chair

Remember....if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do :ogbiggrin:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied there my second full season of skiing, 1977. I remember seeing the "Practice Slope" above the lodge and saying...oh geez, what do the real slopes look like??? :roflmao:

Edit: just realized they renamed it "Race Hill"...more accurate. The chairlift is still called the practice slope chair

Remember....if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do :ogbiggrin:
I love practice slope/race hill… it’s steep but it’s a very consistent, single fall line, wide trail. If I can ski from my car to the base area on practice slope and feel good going down, I know I’m in the right mindset (and my boots are adjusted right) to have a good day.

Sponsor

Staff online