• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Madrussian Skis

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
It all begins about 7 years ago whiskey purchase I didn't really like afterwards and research lead into the purchase where three people cannot agree on like/dislike skis and their performance. Afterwords I keep asking myself why it's such a hostile to find perfect skis? Shortly after I discovered that it is possible to make skis myself and afterwords it's downhill from there lol
to quit while to acquire/build necessary tools/equipment and gain necessary skills.
While in the beginning this project was challenge if it possible to make to skis myself, shortly after it become new challenge not only to make skis but also use all American-made materials and AMERICAN MADE EQUIPMENT with locally grown, cut and milled wood for me to us in ski cores.

First and by far most significant piece of equipment made into my shop is custom-made production size press. This beast in my shop Inspiron me to continue. And finally about four years ago after all this trouble got my first pair skis out of the press. After three more months of waiting I got my first skis on the snow. Shortly after made more skis for myself and more lol for the following season I sold all of the skis I had and mouse ski only on mine

press

2875.jpg

First pair fresh out of the press
9_zpsbaefc9d3.jpg

All cleaned up
16_zpscbf58a62.jpg

Another fresh press
1_zps44c38b9d.jpg

I been busy
2014_zps901aefa5.jpg

Last year and this year skis on Facebook I'll post them here later

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
here closer look on this year core. Maple black Locust construction with black Locust sidewall
3.jpg

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to build my own long bows and we used a form we built out of wood. We messed around with different deflex and reflex to get a bow we liked. Very similar to a ski build I suspect,ended up copying a top end bow in the end.

Just interested in how you make your ski profile in your press? Do you have a top and bottom form that you can monkey with if wanted? And how you press together?
They are some sweet looking sticks

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I used to build my own long bows and we used a form we built out of wood. We messed around with different deflex and reflex to get a bow we liked. Very similar to a ski build I suspect,ended up copying a top end bow in the end.

Funny you mention long bows - I've wanted a set of osage orange cored skis for almost 20 years now.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider

Just interested in how you make your ski profile in your press? Do you have a top and bottom form that you can monkey with if wanted? And how you press together?
They are some sweet looking sticks

process very similar. Mold in the press create ski profile pressed together by air bladder with 20 to 40 tons force.
I creating my own ski designs and don't fine need for look up mainstream skis dimensions

Last edited:
TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Have you ever built hunting skis?

yes I did ....strange you are asking about it

in the picture above, where whole bunch of other skis, third from the left

Yes you did. Thanks.

you're welcome. Usually I don't describe much details except if people asking specific questions and those for whom I am making skis.....otherwise I can go on all day lol

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
yes I did ....strange you are asking about it

in the picture above, where whole bunch of other skis, third from the left

Ah, yes, it is hard to tell dimensions in that one - I thought they were like 130mm+ waisted powder skis for a small person.

strange? I'll take your word for it - but it I was going to ask someone, a russian skimaker would be about the first or second person I would choose :)

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Ah, yes, it is hard to tell dimensions in that one - I thought they were like 130mm+ waisted powder skis for a small person.

strange? I'll take your word for it - but it I was going to ask someone, a russian skimaker would be about the first or second person I would choose :)

it was strange to me because not too many people know about it this is skis and here you are asking....I thought you know me or friend of mine who got the skis… My mistake.

Friend of mine, not skier, after watching "happy people" ask me to make a Russian hunting skis. Very little information on what they are what's available online... has to come up with design of my own. Skis, for the purpose, which available for sale in USA I didn't like and wasn't going to copy. However Russian skis made
from only wood like in the old days. this means my design has to be different because construction is different
as far design your correct short pow skis. Dimensions of mine is 145- 123- 130 165 long
3.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see - no, I come from a different direction entirely; I got interested back when Garmont had a fat XC ski called a Beluga and Visu had a short fat ski called an Avalanche. I used to own 'sliding snowshoe' type skis like the old Karhu Meta and Rossignol Free Venture, which were light but inadequate on loose snow (sinking), wet snow (sticking) and very, very bad on frozen crust with foot holes. Some of the other posters here have used Altai Hok and Marquette skis - I have not, I went straight to Karhu's Jakt ski which was actually sold as a hunting ski. The pair I had fell apart.

And :) Happy People is to hunting skis what Palo's Wedding was to Greenland kayaking - everyone with any sort of strong interest has probably seen it at some point or other.

Last edited:
TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
from reading the description I don't like Altai Hok. .... From feedback he was very happy he had no problem in lose snow..... my work unlikely to fell apart

Do you have some idea on the skis in mind?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Haven't really thought about it - but the wish list would probably read something like:

- tapered crust breaker tips
- camber and a half (decambered at ~90kg on one ski)
- relatively stiff (see above)
- pintail tapered shape with widest point relatively close to pin line, tapering to a tail that is narrower than the waist.
- sidecut not more than 18m
- 145-165cm tops
- ~ 180mm at widest contact point would be ok but 20cm is probably going to be too clumsy
- damp enough to not flex and rebound underfoot when crossing frozen postholes

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid