• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Makes my blood boil!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking as the guy who tried to get Glenn Plake kicked off of our beer league course when he poached it, I plead not guilty to your accusation.
I HATE when he does that. We can't seem to get a race in here without that happening.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Genuinely unsure. As a privileged kid from the suburbs, with an early indoctrination into the value of the natural world, I'm not sure I can put myself into those shoes honestly.
I understand and agree with the "putting oneself in their shoes", but everyone is human and we all come from nature, it shouldn't take a lesson to feel the respect is all I'm saying.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've seen tagging on some of the concrete near where we hike with Gypsy near our house. I call it in to the city of Reno, or Washoe County and its cleaned up quickly to stop it in it's tracks.
Sadly, we shouldn't have to do this. :(
That’s the only solution, clean it off ASAP so there is no glory.

@crgildart I volunteered as a mentor in our gang reduction program through the Orange County DA’s office for more than 20 yrs. . Not all tagging is about “claiming” territory; often it’s simply announcing their presence. It’s a way of building influence within the larger gang culture. Some members of gangs are purely taggers and some of them are amazing artists. This group is about announcing presence as there is no art there. Fresno is just a little more than an hour away from Yosemite.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I suspect none of you would complain if Banksy turned up and tagged your wall. You'd be preserving it then working out how you could transfer the piece to auction at Christies or the like.
If any famous artist showed up and tagged my wall without asking, I'd be irked. Its a matter of respect.

Tagging national parks is still vandalism.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
some of them are amazing artists
Some may be artists but if it's done on property without permission it's still vandalism no matter how good it is. Having cleaned graffiti for many years I simply have zero tolerance for it. I have no problem with harsh sentences for those who are caught.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some may be artists but if it's done on property without permission it's still vandalism no matter how good it is. Having cleaned graffiti for many years I simply have zero tolerance for it. I have no problem with harsh sentences for those who are caught.
:thumb: :thumb:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That’s the only solution, clean it off ASAP so there is no glory.

@crgildart I volunteered as a mentor in our gang reduction program through the Orange County DA’s office for more than 20 yrs. . Not all tagging is about “claiming” territory; often it’s simply announcing their presence. It’s a way of building influence within the larger gang culture. Some members of gangs are purely taggers and some of them are amazing artists. This group is about announcing presence as there is no art there. Fresno is just a little more than an hour away from Yosemite.
I must admit, I didn't realize some gangs have a tourism outreach department. I thought music was the main way they advertise beyond their regular geographical territory. Kinda like slapping ski forum stickers on stuff that doesn't belong to me. I've done it though... same with fraternity letters. Everybody gotta represent sometimes!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There's also always that big rock along side the road outside of that college town (pick one) where different fraternities keep painting their letters on it over and over.. Like it's an initiation night thing for several or something..

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I drove across the US in mid-May 2022. This thread reminded me of something from that trip. When we got to Memphis we stopped to take a mid-day break and walk across the Mississippi River on what they call the Big River Crossing (followed by some Memphis BBQ :D ). Big River Crossing is a pathway on the side of the old Harahan railroad bridge that goes over the Mississippi River and parallels Interstate 55. Notice there are a few locks in this photo that I took of the city of Memphis from the middle of the bridge that day.
ms river walk lock may 2022.jpg

I think I'd vaguely heard about this relatively new custom of romantic couples putting locks on bridges to symbolize their love. I'm not particularly a fan of the idea, especially if the locks start showing up by the thousands. On the Harahan bridge we saw a few locks, but also an interesting and mostly effective sign. I didn't take a photo of the sign, but I found this one of it on the internet:
lock sign.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I drove across the US in mid-May 2022. This thread reminded me of something from that trip. When we got to Memphis we stopped to take a mid-day break and walk across the Mississippi River on what they call the Big River Crossing (followed by some Memphis BBQ :D ). Big River Crossing is a pathway on the side of the old Harahan railroad bridge that goes over the Mississippi River and parallels Interstate 55. Notice there are a few locks in this photo that I took of the city of Memphis from the middle of the bridge that day.
View attachment 171252

I think I'd vaguely heard about this relatively new custom of romantic couples putting locks on bridges to symbolize their love. I'm not particularly a fan of the idea, especially if the locks start showing up by the thousands. On the Harahan bridge we saw a few locks, but also an interesting and mostly effective sign. I didn't take a photo of the sign, but I found this one of it on the internet:
View attachment 171253
Lovelock, Nevada. Where you can lock your love and throw away the key.
NVLOVlock_mccarthy1.jpg

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 171252

View attachment 171253

Salzburg Austria 2018 Literally thousands of them

keys.jpg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I lived in Fresno in the early 90's Gang infested, murders, drive by shootings, Just about everything had graffiti on it.
Vandalism and tagging in our State and National Parks should be punishable by death- IMO-

Last edited by a moderator:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I lived in Fresno in the early 90's Gang infested, murders, drive by shootings, Just about everything had graffiti on it.
Vandalism and tagging in our State and National Parks should be punishable by death- IMO-
It's a viscous cycle of people who grow up poor and not owning property not having much respect for property other people own. It starts early. Little kids running around playing in other people's yards because they think that since their place is a rental unit everyone else's is so all the same everywhere. Then that turns to resentments when they hit the teen years and learn other people DO have their own property and it's off limits to them and the general public.

We're one of a few single owner homes in the neighborhood. Vast majority are multi family rental units. Seen that cycle over and over as the little kids get older and then head out on their own. Fortunately, for the most part these are young immigrant families and not tolerant of the gang garbage happening more regularly across town. The came here to escape that crap. I'm all in to pitch in and help them best I can. Not that get off my lawn curmudgeon but I will talk with the parents if I see something I'd like to know about if my kids were doing it. That's not very often at all though.. .

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online