• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Mangled chair? No problem! Missoula Snowbowl

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Montana have state inspection/safety laws that apply to chair lifts? Like some states where they're treated like public transportation?

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now way in hell I'd my 4 year old on that style of lift these days. I know a safety bar does not stop anyone from slipping off the chair. But it DOES give folks something else to grab on to.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
There have been instances of someone carelessly dropping the safety bar, causing the foot rest to hit the top of a little one’s skis and levering them forward off the seat.

gratedwasabi

Getting on the lift
Skier
There have been instances of someone carelessly dropping the safety bar, causing the foot rest to hit the top of a little one’s skis and levering them forward off the seat.

Also cases of people trying to put on a seatbelt, wrapping it around their own neck, and suffocating. Most safety devices can be used to actually cause harm if you really, really try at it, but we should probably still use them. Just, you know, look at the people next to you.. make sure they're ready.. lower the bar slowly.. and you're good!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sounds like a serious misload and staff training issue. Yes, MT has mandatory lift inspections....

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I have adopted a mantra for the post-covid experience: "Just lower your expectations." :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Apparently there's some question on whether they are opening this season.

From Unofficial networks article. There's a lot happening that seems to be a lack of organization. :(
  • A saw contractor was killed at the ski area in September, although this was of his own doing. He was an avid skier at the Snowbowl and worked to clear trees at the ski area in the summer.
  • In April, the U.S. Forest Service demanded changes at the Snowbowl, or else, they would revoke their permit.
  • Earlier that month, an allegedly drunk driver ran into a friend in the Snowbowl’s parking lot, killing him.
  • In March, one of the Snowpark chairs slammed into a lift tower, throwing a toddler off, and then destroying the chair, making the kid’s father hang on for his life. The father eventually needed to jump off as well. Both were okay, but the father was furious over the lack of communication from management, lift operations, and ski patrol. The ski area eventually apologized for the incident.
  • In 2020, a malfunction on the Lavelle Chairlift led to a chair violently swinging around the bullwheel and falling off, which frayed the cable. Luckily, no one was hurt, and everyone was safely evacuated.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My daughter used to live there and wouldn't ski there (well she raced there, but that's it.) She thought it was safer in the back country. I used to go there when she was racing years ago and the chairs were so slow I could barely ski off at the top. But that's maybe 10 days 18-20 years ago.

The writer is more generous about them than she is.