• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Mantra M6 "Ball of Confusion"

Chris Anton

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have Griffon's, Pivots, and Attacks. Of the three, the Pivots have a certain feel that no other binding I've tried, seems to be able to duplicate. I think @Philpug could explain this in more detail. Maybe it's all in my head but I prefer Pivots. I went w/ the Attacks (95 brakes) to color coordinate. If I end up getting the M6 in a 184 I'll be on Pivots for sure. Most likely the H Harlaut model to match up! :beercheer:
I went for the Mantra M6 and Pivot Henrik Harlaut combo and it looks the business!

kauffee

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied the M6 all week in Big Sky in less-than-ideal snow conditions on the factory tune. Overall I liked the ski a lot. It's been years since I've been on a ski other than Kastle (MX88 and BMX105HP) and the Volkl didn't have that smooth dampness that the Kastles have. It felt a little stiffer and livelier. Very energetic carving ski, for sure. In large bumps, of which there were many, I had to stay on top of the ski. In a couple situations where I got tired/lazy, the tips would try to hook up. The best snow was on the steeps from the tram and they did really well in that. No speed limit on this ski.

This is the first ski I've had with Pivot bindings and I couldn't tell any difference between the "feel" of the Pivot vs. the Attack 13s on my other skis. I definitely felt cooler on the Pivot though. ;)

Part of me wishes I had gotten the FX96Ti, but I felt like I needed to mix it up a bit from Kastle. Plus the obvious price difference.

My bases and edges are a mess from the rocks in Big Sky. What's the factory tune on these skis? What are people tuning them to?

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied the M6 all week in Big Sky in less-than-ideal snow conditions on the factory tune. Overall I liked the ski a lot. It's been years since I've been on a ski other than Kastle (MX88 and BMX105HP) and the Volkl didn't have that smooth dampness that the Kastles have. It felt a little stiffer and livelier. Very energetic carving ski, for sure. In large bumps, of which there were many, I had to stay on top of the ski. In a couple situations where I got tired/lazy, the tips would try to hook up. The best snow was on the steeps from the tram and they did really well in that. No speed limit on this ski.

This is the first ski I've had with Pivot bindings and I couldn't tell any difference between the "feel" of the Pivot vs. the Attack 13s on my other skis. I definitely felt cooler on the Pivot though. ;)

Part of me wishes I had gotten the FX96Ti, but I felt like I needed to mix it up a bit from Kastle. Plus the obvious price difference.

My bases and edges are a mess from the rocks in Big Sky. What's the factory tune on these skis? What are people tuning them to?
Your review matches up with my experiences after 10 days on the M6 (all in the East, but I have a Utah trip scheduled later this week). I have them on Attack 13s. Extremely versatile ski, with surprising quickness for their width. Noisy on scratchy snow, but they carve wonderfully in both firm and soft conditions. Very good in the bumps, but you have to stay on them. I've been doing extra leg work, as the very front of my quads are sorer than on my previous skis (Kastle Fx 84s from 2012/3).

I had my skis re-tuned after purchase (and I don't know where they were set) so I can't help you there.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your review matches up with my experiences after 10 days on the M6 (all in the East, but I have a Utah trip scheduled later this week). I have them on Attack 13s. Extremely versatile ski, with surprising quickness for their width. Noisy on scratchy snow, but they carve wonderfully in both firm and soft conditions. Very good in the bumps, but you have to stay on them. I've been doing extra leg work, as the very front of my quads are sorer than on my previous skis (Kastle Fx 84s from 2012/3).

I had my skis re-tuned after purchase (and I don't know where they were set) so I can't help you there.
Are you taking only the M6 out to Utah or a quiver w/ a wider selection in case you get some depth? Have an awesome trip! :beercheer: :drool:

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Are you taking only the M6 out to Utah or a quiver w/ a wider selection in case you get some depth? Have an awesome trip! :beercheer: :drool:
Thanks, Yo Momma! I'm only taking the M6s with me, but I may rent something wider if this storm cycle blows up a bit more! I figure I'm good with the M6s at 12", but not at 15" or more.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Excited to try the m6!! Mentioned this in the Brag about purchases thread

"Based on reviews here, I have been interested in the M6 Mantra (184cm) but...just not interested enough to buy one + binding. However, my father-in-law tried it in Alta and loved it. As I was considering it for early season or spring morning skiing (currently and happily using a Dictator 3 for spring mornings), I decided it was worth getting one from a demo sale for $450! Now I have a ski that is better suited for old/packed snow days PLUS my father-in-law has a ski when he comes out and visits! Win win!"

If my father-in-law decides to get another ski, I'll likely through on a pivot on the ski...but we shall see.
The demo shop I got it from (Petes in Sun Valley) just recently tuned them and the bases look great. Curious if anyone changed bevels, if so how was it? I normally like 1/2 but may try 1/3 since I intend to use these on the older/packed snow days.

Attachments

• m6.png
    m6.png
    945.8 KB · Views: 84

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Excited to try the m6!! Mentioned this in the Brag about purchases thread

"Based on reviews here, I have been interested in the M6 Mantra (184cm) but...just not interested enough to buy one + binding. However, my father-in-law tried it in Alta and loved it. As I was considering it for early season or spring morning skiing (currently and happily using a Dictator 3 for spring mornings), I decided it was worth getting one from a demo sale for $450! Now I have a ski that is better suited for old/packed snow days PLUS my father-in-law has a ski when he comes out and visits! Win win!"

If my father-in-law decides to get another ski, I'll likely through on a pivot on the ski...but we shall see.
The demo shop I got it from (Petes in Sun Valley) just recently tuned them and the bases look great. Curious if anyone changed bevels, if so how was it? I normally like 1/2 but may try 1/3 since I intend to use these on the older/packed snow days.
The first thing you want to do is go into your tool box and grab a Pozi #3 and remove that low level rental binding off of that ski.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
The first thing you want to do is go into your tool box and grab a Pozi #3 and remove that low level rental binding off of that ski.
I was hoping for a attack demo but felt it would suffice for now for my father-in-law. Thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was hoping for a attack demo but felt it would suffice for now for my father-in-law. Thoughts?
Nope. That is a low level binding that is torsionally weak and you try to put the ski up onto edge, much of that energy will be lost in the transmission of the binding. Think if putting an under inflated 80 series tire on a performance car, it might be comfy going straight, but as soon as you put it into a corner, all the performance in nuetered.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope. That is a low level binding that is torsionally weak and you try to put the ski up onto edge, much of that energy will be lost in the transmission of the binding. Think if putting an under inflated 80 series tire on a performance car, it might be comfy going straight, but as soon as you put it into a corner, all the performance in nuetered.
Well thats no good, time to find an alternative demo binding. Was considering the Look Konects as they seem to be as low as can be for a demo binding. Also a friend has the 2022 Warden 13 demos that I was considering too. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well thats no good, time to find an alternative demo binding. Was considering the Look Konects as they seem to be as low as can be for a demo binding. Also a friend has the 2022 Warden 13 demos that I was considering too. Thoughts?
Not the Konect, it is the HIGHEST of demo bindings. The Strive is the lowest of all the demos. The Warden would be an option and Volkl would suggest you go with the Griffon demo.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally got to try the 184 m6 (5'10" 185ish lbS) at kirkwood today( finally got my ski legs back). Holy moly they felt great! Smooth, stable, carves easily, and fast! Can't quite explain it but it felt real easy to play to adjust the turn radius mid-turn. Pretty eager now to try the m102.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Have been on the M6 now for 5 days and love them. They were surprisingly more nimble (184) in the bumps than I had expected but feel my Dictators are still my offpiste charger. Planning to demo an M102 at the end of the month now...
Love my M6 Mantras(184) as well. My Dictators 3.0 have been on the sidelines since getting the M102(177). About 10% of the time I wish the I had the M102 in 184 when we get thick conditions. Would have the longer length if Mammoth was my home mountain.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love my M6 Mantras(184) as well. My Dictators 3.0 have been on the sidelines since getting the M102(177). About 10% of the time I wish the I had the M102 in 184 when we get thick conditions. Would have the longer length if Mammoth was my home mountain.
That's my dilemma... 177 or 184. Moved closer to tahoe but still make it to mammoth quite often so maybe 184

Sponsor

Staff online