• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marble Accident

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rider 1 drifting around with a serious head injury, finally making it to a house at 3 am. Skier doing everything he can and still making good decisions with a core temp at 85 degrees. Two tough survivors. I hope they fully recover mentally and physically. It’s a lot to deal with.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for posting this. I’ve never taken an avy class (I only resort tour) but I feel like the write up was very instructional about the decision making processes necessary for touring in avalanche terrain.
I've never taken an avy class or toured either, but I do find it interesting. I have read, and can recommend, Bruce Tremper's book "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain". I found it pretty interesting, even as someone who hasn't had the opportunity to do more than think about touring.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, for those who find this interesting (though it is also a sad event) another report is being talked about here too:

That one is in a really obvious piece of terrain just outside of Aspen Highlands that pretty much anyone who's visited there would have looked at from the lodge/deck at the top. For me, that makes it feel a little more "real" and has other lessons involved.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I read all of these, and that was unlike anything. The survival story of the survivors was like a movie.
Couldn't agree with you more. Absolutely an insane report of events. I cannot even imagine the mental angst that Skier 3 went through. Starting with your only possible immediate help leaving the scene (while knowing he might not be in a mental state to make it out alive), digging himself out, trying to dig out his partner, and then the decision to leave the scene (sounds like he made the right call to give himself the best chance for survival). Tack on the stress of having your dog missing (probably presumed dead)...f**k. I hate to say this but Rider 1 might be lucky in the sense that he doesn't remember much. I hope both make a full recovery and truly hope the pup is found too.

This is definitely one to learn from. Both from a perspective of "how to avoid the situation" and "what to do in a tough situation". I understand a bit more about how important designating "red zones" are in your planning. Planning zones that are off-limits is probably just as important as planning your routes.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I understand a bit more about how important designating "red zones" are in your planning.

It's always nice to hear specific feedback on learnings people take away from these reports. Investigating and writing them is a lengthy and intensive part of CAICs work. Feedback (positive, constructive, neutral) is always welcome: caic at state.co.us

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
The avalanche swept Skier 3 about 2500 vertical feet, the entire length of the slope, and over three cliff bands.

Incomprehensible how terrifying that must have felt.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It's always nice to hear specific feedback on learnings people take away from these reports. Investigating and writing them is a lengthy and intensive part of CAICs work. Feedback (positive, constructive, neutral) is always welcome: caic at state.co.us
These reports are invaluable for our learning about the risks that we face in the backcountry. The framing and level of detail strike a good balance.

Aside from feedback, if there are actions we can take that can support this aspect of CAIC work continuing as it is currently very well done, please let us know.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I've never taken an avy class or toured either, but I do find it interesting. I have read, and can recommend, Bruce Tremper's book "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain". I found it pretty interesting, even as someone who hasn't had the opportunity to do more than think about touring.
A great book, and my 2001 edition still has the best treatment of human judgment that I have read. I come back to it often.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aside from feedback, if there are actions we can take that can support this aspect of CAIC work continuing as it is currently very well done, please let us know.
I know you wrote "this aspect" of their work, but more generally, you can donate to the friends group. https://support.friendsofcaic.org/

It's a state program/partnership, so there is probably some way to affect the budget through the legislature, or give kudos through a state legislator:

Funding​

About half of the CAIC’s funding comes from an intergovernmental agreement with CDOT to provide training and forecasting for highway maintenance operations. As part of the Department of Natural Resources, close to 40% of the Center’s funding come from the Severance Tax Fund. The rest of the funding to run the program comes from the United States Forest Service, local governments, the Friends of the CAIC, and from donations from people like you.

Sponsor

Staff online