• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang...when I step into the unverifiable I get into trouble just like I am now. I modeled the M3 toe based on the patent drawings I found and I for the life of me can't remember how these mounted. There must have been a hold down clip like the M4...must two screws to the rear of the toe wouldn't be enough. Does anyone remember?

Attachments

• Close Up Iso Marker M3 Front Mount.jpg
    Close Up Iso Marker M3 Front Mount.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, the hold down clip was attached by a single screw in the center of the toe. Than the toe would slide on to the hold down clip and the two screws back by the AFD would be installed. It was back when manufacturers only used three screws in a triangle with the point facing forward. Both Marker and Tyrolia used the hold down clip and I think I posted a photo of the two different clips, one is a Marker and the other is a Tyrolia, I seem to remember that the Marker was narrower than the Tyrolia. I will try to find that photo and put a copy here.

Uncle-A

Skier
This is the photo I talked about above. The one on the left is the Marker and the one on the right is the Tyrolia. On your cut away drawing you can see the gold tone hold down clip on the bottom of the binding under the spring.
1587421442839.png

Uncle-A

Skier
I always liked this system on the M4 toe. Really good engineering, simple and effective.
Nicely done @Uncle-A :thumb:
Thanks @Bill Talbot, I was not much of a Marker guy but I have to agree that the M4 toe was the best toe that they made. Never cared for any of the Marker heels, I just felt that they didn't keep up with the market. The step in heels of the 1970's and 80's just added so much convenience that I think Marker lost an opportunity by staying with the older style heel.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I was not much of a Marker guy but I have to agree that the M4 toe was the best toe that they made. Never cared for any of the Marker heels, I just felt that they didn't keep up with the market. The step in heels of the 1970's and 80's just added so much convenience that I think Marker lost an opportunity by staying with the older style heel.

Lets not forget that the last four iterations of the Rotamat/MR/MRR were indeed a step in binding.
This is the 'newer' end of the line up. (see Marker Thread)

MR3.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Lets not forget that the last four iterations of the Rotamat/MR/MRR were indeed a step in binding.
This is the 'newer' end of the line up. (see Marker Thread)

View attachment 100462
Yes, eventually they came out with a step in heel. But what year was it, they were late to the party compared to the Tyrolia Clix 90, the S 404 and the Look GT of the early 1970's. Even the Look Nevada heel added the centerings device to make stepping in easy, skiers of that time wanted convenience. Just look at the success of the S 444 that may have been the easiest binding to get in and out.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yes, eventually they came out with a step in heel. But what year was it, they were late to the party compared to the Tyrolia Clix 90, the S 404 and the Look GT of the early 1970's. Even the Look Nevada heel added the centerings device to make stepping in easy, skiers of that time wanted convenience. Just look at the success of the S 444 that may have been the easiest binding to get in and out.

I get the convenience part, well actually I suspect that some fat Americans couldn't bend over enough to latch the Marker heels! But as the Rotamat became the MR/MRR it got bigger and heavier. I think the FDR was the sweet spot with the M4 descendent toes. A light, simple, turntable, real brake and decent anti-shock toe.

Marker FDR.JPG

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I get the convenience part, well actually I suspect that some fat Americans couldn't bend over enough to latch the Marker heels! But as the Rotamat became the MR/MRR it got bigger and heavier. I think the FDR was the sweet spot with the M4 descendent toes. A light, simple, turntable, real brake and decent anti-shock toe.
I think you "suspect" correctly, that made me laugh. Thanks

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier

View attachment 100548

That looks like a late world cup type setup. Explodomat heels with an integrated brake. Verrryyy nice :)