• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mars Landing...

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really cool....

1613869182094.png

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really cool....

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have they flown the copter yet? That will be astounding with the images it should be able to offer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really cool....

I was one of the designers on the processor that controls the landing and rover.... we were all pretty nervous watching it on a big zoom call at work. I can't imagine how nervous the NASA folks are when they do things like this. (If you're curious, the processor is a BAE Systems RAD750, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD750)

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was one of the designers on the processor that controls the landing and rover.... we were all pretty nervous watching it on a big zoom call at work.
That's awesome! I bet you were nervous to hear "Houston, we got a problem, the processor is froze up!!" :roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's awesome! I bet you were nervous to hear "Houston, we got a problem, the processor is froze up!!" :roflmao:
Well... that's a worry, but I'm not sure you'd ever know exactly what happened. :) But it's a proven, very reliable processor - there have been quite a lot of them flown, including on the prior Curiosity rover. But that landing, with the retro rockets and sky crane, is insane... to me, there isn't anything humans have done that seems more straight out of a sci-fi movie.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well... that's a worry, but I'm not sure you'd ever know exactly what happened. :) But it's a proven, very reliable processor - there have been quite a lot of them flown, including on the prior Curiosity rover. But that landing, with the retro rockets and sky crane, is insane... to me, there isn't anything humans have done that seems more straight out of a sci-fi movie.
And really, when you're writing your own OS and have complete control over all ops, reliability trumps CPU speed.