• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No, there isn't a middle ground - but there is a third ground: externalized competition.

Your first scenario is exactly analogous to only one physics textbook used at one university. (Let's call it Halliday - Resnick). Your second scenario is exactly analogous to a university that uses both Halliday- Resnick AND a second textbook (let's call that one Marion - Hornyak).

Do you seriously want to argue that, because the second uni uses two textbooks, there is no need for more universities?

Without externalized competition, any brand is either dogma or pointless. Fundamentals of capitalism, you know?

I could argue that externalized competition does provide a middle ground as I used it (i.e. something other than "there is only 1 true way", and "all ways are equally valid and thus pointless"). I could argue that, but I think I won't for now as we're getting off topic. :P

Hey! Did you know you can attend Masterfit bootfitting seminars, and perhaps learn something about how ski boots are intended to work and fit your feet?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
*grin* lol, 45 years ago H-R didn't use matrix form for geometrical optics, that is one seriously computationally tiresome set of generator equations on that flashback :)

We used SZY am I a heretic ??
9E1B7CCC-4591-433E-8676-70F667C6211D.jpeg

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn -- I was going to go but my son has a function I need to attend. Wanted to have my new boots worked on, or learn to do it myself by attending the seminar.

I have the sixth toe thing going on so I need to get my boots punched, plus whatever else a shop guy thinks I need to have done. I had thought about Zipfits or Intuition Liners, but I'm kind of liking the stock ones - just need to heat them up. I had custom footbeds made this summer from a mailorder kit.

Was planning to get out to Breck over Labor Day and have them worked on, but didn't make it (tore my retina this spring and have one more surgery to go). Are there any good bootfitters in Minneapolis? I may also still try to make it to Denver, Golden, or Breck before the season ramps up to have them worked on as well.

Was checking out the Powder7 website after entering their contest, and that place looks pretty decent too.

IMG_4741.JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Although I am not 100% in agreement with everything they do, I think that anyone selling boots should attend. It would prevent customers from being misinformed by sales people not trained to do their job. Also and this may be from left field but maybe people in the PT business that treat ski related injuries could gain insight from attending a boot fitting class. We have some members that are in the PT business, I wonder what they think about the class? @Brian Finch would learning about boot fitting be good for someone in the PT business?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Although I am not 100% in agreement with everything they do, I think that anyone selling boots should attend. It would prevent customers from being misinformed by sales people not trained to do their job. Also and this may be from left field but maybe people in the PT business that treat ski related injuries could gain insight from attending a boot fitting class. We have some members that are in the PT business, I wonder what they think about the class? @Brian Finch would learning about boot fitting be good for someone in the PT business?

100% I was actually lookin to go, yet was not able to fit it around my clinical schedule. Anything that brings us closer to a mutual understanding is a win.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Was planning to get out to Breck over Labor Day and have them worked on, but didn't make it (tore my retina this spring and have one more surgery to go). Are there any good bootfitters in Minneapolis? I may also still try to make it to Denver, Golden, or Breck before the season ramps up to have them worked on as well.

@focker or @OldJeep , any help here?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
How have you verified that what you have learned is truth?

I like soft boots that don't cramp my toes. I ski "professionally". and enjoy every turn.
How would "boot knowledge" help me? And how would I measure the improvement due to that knowledge?

There are few things as pathetic as the gung-ho proselytizing of the recent convert.

Signed

"a skeptic"

:)

Wow! For me my skiing has gained a lot by working with and learning about my fitting needs. The anatomy of the foot, foot mobility, boot stiffness, the last, and most important... canting. Some people really need expert help and I think that people with "issues" would benefit from this workshop or seminar.

Often it is the instructor who picks up on alignment concerns. Same with general boot fit.

Many years ago an observant instructor identified a fitting flaw in a friends boots... they were on the wrong feet!

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Is this partnership something that will be carried into the 2019-2020 season? If so what is the projected discount?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this partnership something that will be carried into the 2019-2020 season? If so what is the projected discount?
It will be and the dates and info will be posted over the next few months once finalized.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
It will be and the dates and info will be posted over the next few months once finalized.
Awesome. This is something that I’m trying to get my company to send me to but if not I’m rocking out of pocket.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Do they ever have a course in the Midwest? Would love to check it out if that was ever the case for sure. Understand why they have them where they do.

A great opportunity for people that have the chance. Another great reason why this place is the best.

Thanks Phil!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they ever have a course in the Midwest? Would love to check it out if that was ever the case for sure. Understand why they have them where they do.

A great opportunity for people that have the chance. Another great reason why this place is the best.

Thanks Phil!
Most folks from the Midwest go to one of the other events. Usually Mt Snow or Denver.
I know my fitter from when I lived in Michigan went to the Reno Master Fit.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most folks from the Midwest go to one of the other events. Usually Mt Snow or Denver.
I know my fitter from when I lived in Michigan went to the Reno Master Fit.
If you come to Reno, we can provide you with free lodging and tranportation.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This falls as one of those things on the bucket list, followed by need to know this just to be a better skier. Its whats makes the you that skier that may not be perfect, just better all around then everyone else.

Hope they keep offering this in the years to come so I can get to one.

Sponsor

Staff online