• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masters GS skis: glossary request ('cheater', 'tweener', 'masters', etc)

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
No it really is a 170. The waist tip tail dimensions of the 170 and 175 are identical, presumably the 5cm difference in length results in 2m radius difference. If anyone has the formula to calculate radius for given dimensions and length that would be interesting too. My theory is that the factory didn't bother with a seperate stamp for the 170, so both lengths are marked 18m radius.
My theory confirmed by Dynastar customer service

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-100027.png
    Screenshot_20231030-100027.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 19

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
Anyone ski a Blizzard Firebird FIS 188cm 27m radius ski that could give me some feedback on them? Like how they compare to the 188 30m radius FIS R.D. ski?

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
Appreciate it Doc! It appears the Blizzard FIS GS 188/27m ski is a U16 ski. I may give it a try because I have the 188 30m radius FIS R.D. ski and would like to try something with a little less radius than 30m.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Many 65mm wide, sub-30m true GS skis are U16's. My two favorites are the Blizzard/Nordica 188/25m and the Dynastar/Rossi 185/27m.

I generally start the season on the 25-27m GS skis and don't switch over to the 188/30m (Atomic Revo 188/30m or Augment-VanDeer 188/30m) until a bit later in the season, when my leg strength, ski fitness, and race coordination are more optimized.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do something similar, with Masters GS skis and non-FIS GS skis, then softer Volkl FIS W 188/30 skis,
before going to the Atomic 188/30s (doubledeck, rod and Revo) after Christmas and New Years,
when hopefully the snow is better and the slopes less crowded - when my skiing is stronger and more dialed in.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I worked up to my Volkl 188/30s one morning last week after 10 days or so under my belt. They were a blast but I worked my way back down by the end of the day. It was more mental than physical.

I tried Rossi 188/30s for a day a few years ago and they were just too serious for me. I've never tried the Atomics but they have a bad-ass reputation.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Surprising.

I've never been on the GS Rossis, but if they are anything like the Rossi FIS SL 165s, they would have a very dependable, progressive and even flex, and thus be more predictable than most others, wonderful. (The Volkls I've been on or have owned have happened to be softer flexing, and to me just "meh", comparatively - even though somewhat easier to ski.)

The Atomics are just so great, really wonderful, if tuned right, even though they react faster than the other GS versions I've tried. I'd really like to try both the Rossi 188/30s - and the Augment-Van Deers even more. (A Peak experience for me was demoing a pair of Augment Masters, not 188/30 but more like 187/25, or something like that (I'd have to look them up). It was just such a standout, as, to me, are the Atomics, in both SL and GS.

DrunknFrenchman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Found a deal on a pair of Stockli Laser GS in a 185 cm length and 19 m radius. Primary use will be NASTAR, Master's GS drop-in training along with some Master's camps and practice on groomers. No prior race background and first time exploring Master's. Any thoughts on the length. I am 170 pounds and 5'10.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found a deal on a pair of Stockli Laser GS in a 185 cm length and 19 m radius. Primary use will be NASTAR, Master's GS drop-in training along with some Master's camps and practice on groomers. No prior race background and first time exploring Master's. Any thoughts on the length. I am 170 pounds and 5'10.

According to some, 185 Laser GS is the best Laser GS there has even been. Stockli discontinued them sadly and now the longest is 182. Even if it so happens that you do not like them, you will resell them quickly. This like the Laser AX is an already extinct species.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier

Great nastar/beer league ski, if you are strong you'll be fine on it. It's not going to be as well suited for true masters course sets where a 25m ski will be better.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
buy know.

my gf is 172-173cm and love her 180.

Im.. tall and love my 185.

we both use them for masters, she more than me though. I keep pretending Im better and use a 188/27 and such..

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
While I have been coaching and racing for many years, one topic that comes up on GS skis is binding placement, which is something everyone has different views. I have been doing this for years, but again there seems to not be a consistent answer. So for example, for many years there was a center point line on the skis and you simply mounted the skis dead on in most cases or sometimes a cm forward or back. I really like the Marker Piston plate but I am never sure if my skis are mounted in the center or not. Any suggestions on where you mount modern GS skis and finding that center point? Unfortunately most ski shops no longer seem to care about ski racing and other than one I really like in Vermont, I am not there very often for service stuff.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
November and December had very little snow in our parts, so we were pretty much stuck with just SL training--kind of the exact opposite of last season. Unfortunately, that meant I did not have much opportunity to trial the sub-30m Fischer and Volkl GS skis I acquired to see how they compare to other similar skis: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/mas...-tweener-masters-etc.22461/page-6#post-832884

Finally, we started getting some snow in January, so we could get in some GS runs. Typically, I start my GS gate training on 25-27m GS skis (https://www.skitalk.com/threads/mas...-tweener-masters-etc.22461/page-7#post-864703) and work into 188/30m as I get stronger and regain my GS legs later in the season. This year, even a 25-27m felt a bit off, so I went back to a 21m GS ski, noting faster times and better rhythm in the gates during my first few GS training sessions.

IMG_5538-4.jpeg

As the season progresses, I'm moving back to 25-27m GS and will hopefully work into 188/30m by season’s end: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/mas...-tweener-masters-etc.22461/page-7#post-858021.

IMG_5354-6.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online