• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masters ski selection

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi, I have the same problem in deciding to choose the right ski for the FMC racing from my Atomic. I am 6.2" & 250lbs and two years ago used G9 RS 183/25 and last year I switched to G9 RS 190/27. This year I added G9 WC 188/30 as I got them used for the good price and I like them more because they are narrower than 190/27 and I think that they are even a bit softer than 190/27. Has anyone compared Atomic 190/27 with 188/30 and what are the opinions/suggestions which are better for a heavier skiers like me? Will moving the X VAR bindings to the front help turn the tighter FMC course? Thanks

I haven't compared those two skis, but re: binding placement, it's virtually impossible to answer that question without more data. Check out the Global Skiing Podcast (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...former-race-coach/id969434674?i=1000501882882 for Apple) for a good (albeit lengthy) discussion of how binding placement and delta can be both important and varied based on the individual, among other topics.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rather than start a new thread, I'll add in to this one...

I've been improving on the 30m skis, but some of the NE Masters courses are a bit much for my skill level on them. I have 2 GSs at Berkshire this week, the scene of the original 30m GS race crime...it should be a good comparison from last year for any improvement.

I have a line on 2 options for tweener/cheater/jr/whatever skis and looking for any input. The Blizzards popped up, then as I was talking about this with some ski friends, the Fischer skis joined the discussion.

1) ~2018(?) Blizzard 184/25m with Piston plate 102-65-87
2) ~2018(?) Fischer RC4 188/25m with plate 106-65-91

Both are unused.

The 2 skis both accomplish a 25m, but the dimensions are interesting. The Blizzard seems to favor a skier than can initiate the turn, but the larger tail snaps you through the turn. The Fischer skis have a wider shovel to get the turn started then ease off at the end of the turn. I also feel than at ~185 lbs the 184 might be on the shorter end for me?

Am I off base with that assumption?

Of the two, I think they are both good skis and will complement the 30m I have when needed, but I am wondering if the similar shovel on the Blizzards to my 188/30 Rossignol 101-65-81 will be easier to transition between.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (3).jpg
    Image from iOS (3).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Image from iOS (2).jpg
    Image from iOS (2).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 16
  • RJ Bradley Blizzard GS 184.25.JPG
    RJ Bradley Blizzard GS 184.25.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Watching with interest - I have nothing to add unfortunately. They seem really similar, different tip/tail dimensions might just reflect different lengths.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
It all depends on what kind of free skiing you have in mind. 188/30 GS skis probably aren't suitable for crowded, or bumpy, or steep and very narrow slopes, but neither are 183/23 skis. I use my GS skis mostly for freeskiing, but on empty, groomed, wide, and reasonably (not overly) steep runs, and they are great.

As for junior skis, they are designed for lighter skiers and may not be suited for a relatively powerful adult skier. But again, I hope more experienced skiers and coaches will give you more detailed advice.
Heck, I do not even use the Blizzard 186/21 for free skiing anymore...
Or better, I (very carefully) free ski on the Blizzard 186/21 and or the Voelk 183/25 on the piste from the top station of the chairlifts to the start gate of the GS (training) course and from the end of the course till the loading station.
OTHO boots...I found out that I can free ski (on groomed only) in my Dalbello DRS WC with little if no problems...In fact I did so at Christmas time when I lent the Dalbello DRS 110 to my bro-"in-law" to ski.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heck, I do not even use the Blizzard 186/21 for free skiing anymore...
Or better, I (very carefully) free ski on the Blizzard 186/21 and or the Voelk 183/25 on the piste from the top station of the chairlifts to the start gate of the GS (training) course and from the end of the course till the loading station.
Do you ski at a very small mountain? :) The skis are not nearly as deadly as you make them out to be.

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you don't feel comfortable on the ski, then you made the right choice. :)

And, to close things out here I agreed on the Blizzards. I *think* the Fischer skis are the Masters spec version, meaning a wider waist. I can't be 100% sure though as despite searching I could find nothing more than this pic:

1646665397974.png

The skis have A 035 and A 035 on the tail, so I am *guessing* that means the Masters ski.