• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mavic Goes Into Receivership...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So Amer let go of them in 2019 and since then... not good.

It's too bad, and I hope someone bails them out. Their latest tubeless tech is the most user friendly I've experienced to date.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Their apparel and shoes are really good too. I hope that receivership is good for them and the ship is righted.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Perhaps the most telling words are in the OP - French Unions. While I am not a expert on French labor laws, it is common knowledge France is not a friendly place to manufacture. Years ago, my LBS would pretty much tell anyone needing rims to get Mavic. There is no good news in short term future to increase revenue. Perhaps @Tony S said it best "Wow!"

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I easily built over a 1000 pairs of Open Pro's laced to Dura-Ace hubs back in the late 90's to early 2000's, plus another few hundred of CXP-30's. Then theres the several hundred X517's laced to kings. But in the past 10'ish years I don't think Mavic has been a real player. I'd see them on maybe 5% of the (newish)bikes that would come through my stand. and the last time someone requested a build with a mavic rim???

I thought when Amer Sport bought Enve, we'd see some cross over of technology/life to mavic.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It's kinda fitting that Shimano is taking over for Mavic in the Tour..if you consider how many more sets of Shimano rims are out there compared to 10 years ago. I started out building Fiamme rims, then Ambrosio, then it was Mavic for years... Now I don't think the market for custom wheels is nearly what it used to be. Once Campy started selling the Shamals and others followed suit, it became much more about brand. Mavic didn't have the rest of the component market to sell with.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It's kinda fitting that Shimano is taking over for Mavic in the Tour..if you consider how many more sets of Shimano rims are out there compared to 10 years ago. I started out building Fiamme rims, then Ambrosio, then it was Mavic for years... Now I don't think the market for custom wheels is nearly what it used to be. Once Campy started selling the Shamals and others followed suit, it became much more about brand. Mavic didn't have the rest of the component market to sell with.

Shmano controls about 90% of the parts market, so no surprise. They own distribution.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't forget Mavic is the creator of UST.

My Kysrium Eite's have been running for 10 years, with a few hub cleanings and lubes in between, still going strong and true.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Isn't UST pretty much a dead standard?

I sure don't see it in the mtb world anymore.

UST is enshrined in ISO 4210 / 5775

Shimano uses UST for their MTB and road wheels.

But companies like Stan's Notubes figured out an easier way to get the bead lock by forgoing ETRTO standards and going with a reduced bead hook height, while keeping the rim a more traditional design, vs a solid rim bed with proprietary nipples.

Specialized for mountain bike showed that for low pressure applications, a bead hook isn't necessary at all.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
According to my knowledge the company is still up and running as of today and their products keep being on sale. Not all of their product innovations in the past were a real break through and that hurt them badly.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
According to my knowledge the company is still up and running as of today and their products keep being on sale. Not all of their product innovations in the past were a real break through and that hurt them badly.

They are still running and have a new owner.

That said they will be simplifying and modernizing their offerings. The new owners are going to return the company's focus to wheels and rims - the bread-and-butter that made Mavic famous.

The other things they made in recent years - helmets, shoes, clothing - will fall by the wayside. If you see any in the retail channel they're on clearance.

And the new owners are still getting things settled for the long haul. Spare parts are not always in ample stock for their existing products that are still in the field and will be continued (e.g. Ksyrium, Aksium, Allroad, Cosmic, R-SYS, and the various rims they make). COVID didn't help this, especially in their facilities in France.

But their iconic yellow neutral support service is no more - and that was one of their most visible calling cards around the world. That, in and of itself, is painful to see.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
That's a bummer because I like their shoes and apparel so much. I need to stock up if I can find any.

Sponsor

Staff online