• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MCL injuries suck

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you ask me, be VERY careful with skiing. And I mean-REAL careful. No black slopes bombing, no high edges. Nice and slowly. Technical. Beautiful and slow. Greens and blues-light cruising. Did I say NO high edge angles? Well, there you go.

You are basically telling David to ski like an old man. :nono:
I can help with that. That's the way I always skied. Like an old man.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are basically telling David to ski like an old man. :nono:
I can help with that. That's the way I always skied. Like an old man.

You might laugh at it man, but with every passing year I begin to realise this is the RIGHT way to ski...if you want to live long and prosper that is...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You might laugh at it man, but with every passing year I begin to realise this is the RIGHT way to ski...if you want to live long and prosper that is...
No thanks! I'm pretty sure you are at least a decade younger than Grump or me.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Spock lied to you. It's not live long and prosper. It's more like live long and snivel. :nono:

I am not laughing at it. I am living it. I skied like a old man because I have no choice. I am old and I wanted to live to be older. Not much choice there.

1634136279363.png

Oh yeah, if you want to live to be older. DO NOT FOLLOW @mdf while skiing. He is the head of the Ministry of Bad Ideas. Nuff said.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No thanks! I'm pretty sure you are at least a decade younger than Grump or me.

Maybe more. But the thing is: people like you, Grump and above all-the 70+ Italian ladies and gentlemen are becoming my heroes as time goes by. 10 years ago or 20 or I do not know, my heroes were first Zurbriggen, then Tomba, then Bode, then the unbelievable Ligety etc.
Now? I am quite sure I can run circles around you guys on a single run, whatever the snow is (moguls excluded) and I am 100% sure I can beat your top speed on any terrain (well except for moguls obviously) BUT...and this is where it becomes important: somewhere along the way I will screw up. And it will put me out of the game for weeks/months/seasons. And then I will stay at home slowly recovering while you will be on the slopes enjoying life and skiing effortlessly and slowly. Enjoying your tiramisus and cognacs.

Now, you tell me who is smarter.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am quite sure I can run circles around you guys on a single run, whatever the show is (moguls excluded) and I am 100% sure I can beat your top speed on any terrain (well except for moguls obviously)

You know, some of them old fart are pretty slick. One may just accept the challenge by take the well tuned 30m real deal GS skis off the wall. May even bend over and buckle the boots.

1634147611564.jpeg

One of my favorite songs.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, some of them old fart are pretty slick. One may just accept the challenge by take the well tuned 30m real deal GS skis off the wall. May even bend over and buckle the boots.

View attachment 144914

One of my favorite songs.

Maybe, maybe.

But that's not the point. Point is neither of us will ever be Olympic gold medalist and at the same time you will be enjoying skiing far more and longer than someone like me who will break bones and tear tendons in pursuit of the unachievable.

So again, who is smarter?

The 70+ Italian ladies and gents, who take 1 hour lunch breaks for tiramisu, apple pie and brandy, and then continue gliding graciously and effortlessly barely touching the snow, that's who.

P.S. No need to tell me how good and fast older dudes can be, you are knocking on open door here, I spend a huge part of my season skiing with a group of 60+ old ex racers, national champs and suchlike legends and I am having my ass handed over to me on a daily basis, so I am well aware of the fact.

Last edited:
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, an update: I skied today. Crystal had a limited opening with snowmaking, so tested out my knee and my new Blossom AM77’s. I avoided high edge angles. I avoided being hit by meat missles/scuds/whatever you want to call out of control people. I took it very easy, just worked on consistent turns at a moderate speed.

Knee is a little swollen but not badly, not really painful, just a little stiff. Really the most challenging part was getting the boot on and off, and the walk from the parking lot to the base.

Call it a success.

Jay

Booting up
Skier
Sprained my mcl 4 weeks ago (45 years of skiing - first knee injury so I’ve been told I’m lucky). Struggling to get my skiing back as I just Can’t drive my edges on that side. How long does it take to get flexibility back? Am I better to just stop training for a couple weeks or just keep pushing it?

Sponsor

Staff online