• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MCP acquires Valle Nevado

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is big news for MCP... they already run Purgatory, Arizona Snowbowl, Willamette Pass, Brian Head, Nordic Valley, and a few other southwestern ski areas. And now the best ski area in South America.

In the near term, I'd imagine they'd like to keep taking money from Mountain Collective and Ikon--and negotiate higher rates/adding some of their other properties onto the passes. Longer term, it's looking like MCP wants to be a real competitor to Alterra and Vail. They're already very strong in the southwest. Valle Nevado pairs very well with their existing portfolio in trying to appeal to the Latin American market--Snowbowl's a favorite with many well-to-do Mexican families, and the Las Vegas airport has great connectivity throughout Latin America, which can help them realize Brian Head's master plan of more than doubling in size. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the passes, and also what MCP picks up next.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
…., I'd imagine they'd like to keep taking money from Mountain Collective and Ikon--and negotiate higher rates/adding some of their other properties onto the passes.

To remain competitive, they would have to elevate the guest experience to charge more.

Guests who vale a great experience anywhere near us universally go to Telluride.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
To remain competitive, they would have to elevate the guest experience to charge more.

Guests who vale a great experience anywhere near us universally go to Telluride.
Sure, but the last thing MCP wants to do is make Ikon into a viable competitor in Phoenix. I can't imagine a scenario where they'd want Snowbowl on Ikon. But if Alterra will throw them some money when existing Ikon customers go to Brian Head or Purgatory or Eugene, that's a win.

That said, MCP's got to figure out how to offer more than just bargain-basement customer experience to make Valle Nevado work. And if they have real goals of turning Brian Head into a megaresort or becoming a real rival to Ikon and Epic in the longer term.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Sure, but the last thing MCP wants to do is make Ikon into a viable competitor in Phoenix. I can't imagine a scenario where they'd want Snowbowl on Ikon.

Just curious, why do you say this? I live in Phoenix and take at least one trip to a larger marquee resort each year. I know many hate Epic and Ikon, but if Snowbowl was on one of those, it becomes a no brainer to purchase a pass for local use and to go to bigger resorts. I wonder if MCP wants to be acquired by one of the larger players.

TS
I

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious, why do you say this? I live in Phoenix and take at least one trip to a larger marquee resort each year. I know many hate Epic and Ikon, but if Snowbowl was on one of those, it becomes a no brainer to purchase a pass for local use and to go to bigger resorts. I wonder if MCP wants to be acquired by one of the larger players.
MCP wants you to visit THEIR larger marquee resort. Right now Purgatory is pretty much the flagship, but with a bit of investment, Brian Head could be.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
MCP wants you to visit THEIR larger marquee resort. Right now Purgatory is pretty much the flagship, but with a bit of investment, Brian Head could be.
OK, thank you. I haven't yet been to Purgatory but may do so in the future. But it doesn't have nearly the same pull as a Telluride, Vail, Breck, Park City, Whistler, Snowbird, Palisades, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online