• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Measuring Zeppa angle

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to replace a broken boot board in my tecnica WC/Dobie plug. I have a spare which I need to modify. I know they work well at "22" as marked. However I am having some memory relapses in what the 22 represents. I think it is the angle of the boot board from toe to heel. Is that correct?
Thanks!

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
It is the thickness of the zeppa at the base of the heel in mm's. The best way to take the new one down is on a jointer/ planer.

Measure the thickness of the new one and take it down gradually until it matches. This speaks well of your boot service person. Marking the zeppa height is a good indicator of a pro.

pliny the elder

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
Yes. Although the planer will leave a slight lip where the angle changes. This can be slightly dressed on a drum sander to blend.

Lowering the zeppa ramp increases ankle flexion without changing knee flexion. This would normally be done with someone with a lot of dorsiflexion or to decrease angle between the hip and femur.

Knowing your preferences and keeping track of them makes it easier to replicate a successful set up. Writing the number on the zeppa reflects that philosophy. It would indicate that whoever does your boots is good at it.

pliny the elder

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
It is the thickness of the zeppa at the base of the heel in mm's. The best way to take the new one down is on a jointer/ planer.

Measure the thickness of the new one and take it down gradually until it matches. This speaks well of your boot service person. Marking the zeppa height is a good indicator of a pro.

pliny the elder
Do you know...? With regard to boot ramp angle; on a consumer ski boot (in my case Lange RX), is the 4* ramp molded into the shell, or determined by a unique boot-board part number? Different boot-boards for each size? Different heel/toe delta's molded for each size? The specified ramp angle is in reference to a some "middle size" with the heel/toe delta constant, therefore increasing/decreasing the actual angle with small/longer BSL?

Thank you VERY much if you are able to shed some light on this for me!

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
Zeppa's are built to a stand height differential. They are x number of mm's at the heel and and y number of mm's at the toe. Because of this the ramp angle is more in smaller sizes and less in bigger sizes.

I can't believe I just used algebra and geometry in the same paragraph.

pliny the elder

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Math is always better when it's not math for the sake of doing math.
I explained Moment of Inertia to my 5 year old son the other day...it was a pretty good explanation using a soup can and I quite enjoyed channeling my inner Richard Feynman..at the end he asked if it was chicken noodle or not... :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor