• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just checked out my NBC Sports app and it says Charlie Brougham & Britt Janyk wI’ll be the world feed commentators.
I think I will check them out as well as Peacock and see which coverage suits me.

James

Out There
Instructor
I just checked out my NBC Sports app and it says Charlie Brougham & Britt Janyk wI’ll be the world feed commentators.
I think I will check them out as well as Peacock and see which coverage suits me.
They seemed to be ok last night. After USA bailed, I fired up the “Tokyo 2020” app, and it transformed itself to Beijing 2022. Voila!

4ster

Instructor
Kind of surprised that the US broadcast team of Pino, Schlanger & Ted weren't on last night. I switched between NBC sports app & Peacock DH training & it was Charlie Brougham & Britt Janyk on both. Although not extremely polished their coverage was fine for my taste. They never said too much but enough to keep track of who & what was going on & let the racers race without much distraction. The annoying part was that ads what just begin haphazardly & cut into runs.

James

Out There
Instructor
Kind of surprised that the US broadcast team of Pino, Schlanger & Ted weren't on last night. I switched between NBC sports app & Peacock DH training & it was Charlie Brougham & Britt Janyk on both. Although not extremely polished their coverage was fine for my taste. They never said too much but enough to keep track of who & what was going on & let the racers race without much distraction. The annoying part was that ads what just begin haphazardly & cut into runs.
Don’t think they mentioned Mikaela once!

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I liked Charlie and Britt. Britt knows her stuff and talks only when she has something to add. I watched it on Peacock and have paid the extra $5 to go ad free. Well worth it as so far they show everything rather than a blank screen during commercial breaks....

4ster

Instructor
Does Vail own Peacock?
:duck:

It appears DH training #3 is canceled due to wind.

James

Out There
Instructor
Cancelled!
Did you see Mayer and Innerhofer?
Mayer was twisted up pretty badly on that jump. Kilde did ok.
Damn, they really need some more time with this course. Race is tomorrow.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A peeve about Peacock: when you look at the list of replays, the highlights are right next to it, with the name of the winner in the title. So when you look for an event to watch, it's impossible to avoid seeing the result. Just happened to me as I was looking for the biathlon relay.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A peeve about Peacock: when you look at the list of replays, the highlights are right next to it, with the name of the winner in the title. So when you look for an event to watch, it's impossible to avoid seeing the result. Just happened to me as I was looking for the biathlon relay.
That's pretty crappy... you might want to try using the search rather than browsing. When I search for "biathlon", it separates "Results" from "Clips" on two different tabs (on my PC anyway). So you don't see the "Clips" results unless you click on it.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's pretty crappy... you might want to try using the search rather than browsing. When I search for "biathlon", it separates "Results" from "Clips" on two different tabs (on my PC anyway). So you don't see the "Clips" results unless you click on it.
Thanks, I'll try that. I usually watch on my TV but I'm traveling so watching on my laptop for the next few days.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could not stay up yesterday until ~2:00 am Eastern time to watch the conclusion of the 2nd run of the men’s slalom. Expect this applies to lots of people in Eastern, Central and even Mountain time. Have to work in the morning. Go to Peacock tonight after work to watch the replay. The tile for the 2nd run replay shows a graphic of Clement Noel. While that doesn’t necessarily indicate he was the winner, it is kind of a huge clue that he probably won. In my job I update content on one of our customer facing websites, and I totally understand wanting to use compelling graphics when posting stuff, but NBC making it so people who want to watch the replay can’t do so without seeing the winner first is really hostile towards their customers. They probably have enough Peacock subscribers that they don’t care about user experience, but it is still really hostile.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's one of my biggest beefs with Peacock: they do this crap all the time. They also put highlight tiles right next to the replay so you know the result as you look for the race.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I realize that couple of months ago a few of us were quite "harsh" about the commentary by Steve Schlanger on NBC/Peacock. A number of SkiTalkers pointed out that it's just one part of a pretty broad job description for him, that he's working of the tape feed, and is in a remote studio.....most often by himself. Got it. He's doing his very best, and I think getting a bit better with time.

I have never really spent any time talking about this remote studio work with any of a crew that I could ask. I'm guessing that they have a running list of talk points, as bio type info for each racer that probably is in front of them on a separate monitor. SO.....the fact that he's just reading is not his fault. He pretty much watches the race, points out errors that are the super obvious explosions then watch the timing go form green to red, to green, etc. "She really lost time in that section....: etc. I tend to either not pay a lot of attention and turn down the volume.

Yesterday, he was broadcasting with Andrew Weibrecht, and to be honest, I'm not sure how truly on top of his game AW is. It's better than just Steve S alone, though.

Today, I watched the second run of BOTH the men's GS form KG and the W's SL from Are. On review/delay. And I listened to Schlanger. I was sitting here sipping coffee, with my wife, and I made, I guess a few more than the occasional "Ahhh, no Steve, that's NOT right. Ahh, nope that's wrong. Nope that's actually not the case....." At one point he mentioned that Felix McGrath had been a coach at UVM....which he was for a couple of years.....but sort of neglected to mention his WC career as our best SL skier. I guess because it was at UVM that he met Atle's mom...who was a student, a Nordie at UVM. Scandinavian Nordies are nothing new at UVM, haha.

At any rate, he's doing his best, and I appreciate it. But, it would be great if the USST could world with NBC Peacock to get some more consistent talent calling the races.

I also realize that he's probably VERY interesting for the casual, occasional fan.

arkay

Booting up
Skier
I realize that couple of months ago a few of us were quite "harsh" about the commentary by Steve Schlanger on NBC/Peacock. A number of SkiTalkers pointed out that it's just one part of a pretty broad job description for him, that he's working of the tape feed, and is in a remote studio.....most often by himself. Got it. He's doing his very best, and I think getting a bit better with time.

I have never really spent any time talking about this remote studio work with any of a crew that I could ask. I'm guessing that they have a running list of talk points, as bio type info for each racer that probably is in front of them on a separate monitor. SO.....the fact that he's just reading is not his fault. He pretty much watches the race, points out errors that are the super obvious explosions then watch the timing go form green to red, to green, etc. "She really lost time in that section....: etc. I tend to either not pay a lot of attention and turn down the volume.

Yesterday, he was broadcasting with Andrew Weibrecht, and to be honest, I'm not sure how truly on top of his game AW is. It's better than just Steve S alone, though.

Today, I watched the second run of BOTH the men's GS form KG and the W's SL from Are. On review/delay. And I listened to Schlanger. I was sitting here sipping coffee, with my wife, and I made, I guess a few more than the occasional "Ahhh, no Steve, that's NOT right. Ahh, nope that's wrong. Nope that's actually not the case....." At one point he mentioned that Felix McGrath had been a coach at UVM....which he was for a couple of years.....but sort of neglected to mention his WC career as our best SL skier. I guess because it was at UVM that he met Atle's mom...who was a student, a Nordie at UVM. Scandinavian Nordies are nothing new at UVM, haha.

At any rate, he's doing his best, and I appreciate it. But, it would be great if the USST could world with NBC Peacock to get some more consistent talent calling the races.

I also realize that he's probably VERY interesting for the casual, occasional fan.
Agree. We may be stuck with Schlanger. He's not terrible, just not great. Not a fan of AW but he seems to be getting better.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Acknowledge this (below) is nit picking. On the other hand, why not pay for someone who is really tops in his field?

I'd be okay with him not being able to pronounce "Pinturault" properly. But I can't forgive the way he does it with such obvious misplaced pride in doing it well. It's emblematic of what you're describing: He doesn't know what he doesn't know.