• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a mess! So US and Austrian races are on NBC/Peackock which is severely lacking any ski/snowboard reliability or ease of use this year. All other races available on skiandsnowboard.live. Does skiandsnowboard.live have an android app or do I need to log into it on a browser on my phone to cast it to my TV? The website is pretty rudimentaary; I tried subscribing but it got hung up in the payment section; will try later. Has anyone else used skiandsnowboard.live this season and had a good experience with it?
I've been able to subscribe and I cast to my TV. Rudimentary is a nice way to put it. On the Levi race they put both runs into one file that was almost 5 hours long so you had to fast-forward if you just wanted to catch up with run 2. It's like these people have never watch ski broadcasts and don't know how they work.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, interestingly, they apparently fixed something overnight on Outside+ because tonight I was able to watch perfectly decent replays of both runs of both Killington events, complete with the expected forward and back scrubber controls. It was some guy who knew nothing and Resi Stiegler doing the commentary.

:huh:

I honestly think these things just fall through the cracks and it's not until people start to complain that the networks even remember they promised to cover the stuff. Then someone scrambles and makes it passible, before moving on to clean the bathrooms.

James

Out There
Instructor
One annoyance I have with it is that once an event has started, there doesn't seem to be a way to start it from the beginning. You have to wait for it to end, and show up in the race replays. (I think Peacock is the same though...)
Best hope it’s not like Peacock. Unless they’ve fixed it this year, Peacock’s skiing replays are like setting your own recording for an event to start at a specific time. So, if it doesn’t start on time due to weather, you’re going to see whatever was on. Maybe monster trucks. Then, when the allotted time is over, that’s it. So the “replay” may end in the middle of the race.

One would fail any student who came up with such a system, but alas, executives get paid for putting out that garbage.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is it nefarious or just incompetency?
Me thinks conspiracy ;)

Today while watching the SG l tried to fast forward thru some of the downtime. My screen locked up & I had to close the page & start over again. Same thing yesterday. :(
I emailed them asking where I could give feedback. In the meantime it might not hurt to complain here...
[email protected]

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Skiandsnowboard.live had been good to me... but right now it's refusing to play the women's downhill that it says starts at 2:00. The main site loads slowly (much slower than usual), and then I get a "This video is unavailable" error. And now the website won't load at all.

*sigh*

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Skiandsnowboard.live had been good to me... but right now it's refusing to play the women's downhill that it says starts at 2:00. The main site loads slowly (much slower than usual), and then I get a "This video is unavailable" error. And now the website won't load at all.

*sigh*
And now it's up and working fine...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

*sigh*
They did respond to my inquiry & said to send feedback to their email & they would pass it along

[email protected]

BTW apparently yesterdays race was free to all if anyone missed it.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile on regular broadcast TV… CNBC was scheduled to air BeaverCreek DH this afternoon. Tuned in and ; they start by showing the Cx DH from yesterday…. a standup saying BeaverCreek DH was Cx due to snow/ wind without ever saying that was yesterday. And then go to re air last years race with everyones favorite anchor Dan I only talk in platitudes Hicks.
It’s as if todays race ( which I “ watched” on FIS live timing earlier ) didn’t happen.
I notice regular NBC is scheduled to show BeaverCreek DH later today… hoping it will be this years ( todays) race.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I notice regular NBC is scheduled to show BeaverCreek DH later today… hoping it will be this years ( todays) race.

It was. Presentation was typical mainline NBC slice-and-dice, showing only a handful of competitors with a lot of adverts thrown in. Commentary was Steve Schlanger and Steve Porino - not a bad combo, by the by. It's the basic package I've come to expect from NBC. Kinda peeved that they waited to broadcast it until the dinner hour here on the east coast - if they actually cared about the sport they'd show it in realtime.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was. Presentation was typical mainline NBC slice-and-dice, showing only a handful of competitors with a lot of adverts thrown in. Commentary was Steve Schlanger and Steve Porino - not a bad combo, by the by. It's the basic package I've come to expect from NBC. Kinda peeved that they waited to broadcast it until the dinner hour here on the east coast - if they actually cared about the sport they'd show it in realtime.
Where is today’s race? I can’t find it on Peacock (though I can find tomorrow’s).

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree re Schlanger and Porino. I find Schlanger earnest and candid: he rarely tries to give the impression of having expertise nor is he pedantic. Dan Hicks on the other hand I find annoying with ihis studied sports anchor manner and affect.

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where is today’s race? I can’t find it on Peacock (though I can find tomorrow’s).
As mentioned by @oldfashoned , it seems the replays are on the NBC sports app, not Peacock. This was also my experience last week with the Killington replays. I also noticed in Peacock it shows the broadcast time for the super g on Sunday as 5 pm eastern, which is the same time as the delayed TV broadcast, while the actual start is at noon eastern.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious if anyone who watched today’s Lake Louise replay (not the live broadcast) on skiandsnowboard.live found the playback to be intermittently jumpy or flickering. Last week and yesterday playback was smooth and continuous, but today‘s race was a little hard to watch for me. Wondering if the problem happens to be on my end. I watched the replay of Beaver Creek online on another platform today right before LL and it looked fine.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Women’s race was jumpy for me today. I have very strong Wi-Fi and a brand new iPad. This should not happen. I don’t mind paying, but I expect the product to offer a standard level of video quality at a minimum. What I get is poor quality.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious if anyone who watched today’s Lake Louise replay (not the live broadcast) on skiandsnowboard.live found the playback to be intermittently jumpy or flickering. Last week and yesterday playback was smooth and continuous, but today‘s race was a little hard to watch for me. Wondering if the problem happens to be on my end. I watched the replay of Beaver Creek online on another platform today right before LL and it looked fine.
I had the exact same experience so it's not on your end.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned by @oldfashoned , it seems the replays are on the NBC sports app, not Peacock.
<<bangs forehead against wall>>
So we are back to that game? Next week it will be on "NBC Sports Gold." Then "The Mickey Network."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
<<bangs forehead against wall>>
So we are back to that game? Next week it will be on "NBC Sports Gold." Then "The Mickey Network."
Presumably, since they're on NBC and Peacock this year, they're free. So having replays on NBC Sports makes the replay free too. I guess that's good. But why they wouldn't have the replay on both NBC and Peacock, when the broadcast is on both NBC and Peacock, makes very little sense to me.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Presumably, since they're on NBC and Peacock this year, they're free
Dunno. There was a period a few years ago when you had to pay to see skiing, but exactly which sub-service/app you were required to subscribe to changed every few months, often with no communication of any kind.

Sponsor