• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

nvracer

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Has anyone heard if or when Peacock is going to broadcast world cup races this year? They only have the US races on their menu so far. I see where the CBC in Canada is showing most of the world Cup. This really is crazy!! What a way to run a business. It might be an business opportunity for one of the other broadcasters in our country.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Peacock has had both Solden & Lech/Zurs races. They were also available at:
https://app.skiworldcup.live/login
This site may also stream future Austrian events.

I was in touch with Peacock (no easy task) & they led me to believe that they would be streaming everything on their Premium channel this season but slow to update their schedule.
Check out our WC threads:

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/women’s-world-cup-2021-2022.24649/

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been watching on Peacock as @4ster has posted above.
I paid for Peacock Premium.
Is it possible that a different package has different coverage?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

LOL, I finally get the Olympic Channel included in my Dish package & it looks like they are not carrying any alpine world cup.
Is Porino out of a job?

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

LOL, I finally get the Olympic Channel included in my Dish package & it looks like they are not carrying any alpine world cup.
Is Porino out of a job?

Great, looks like some of the WC will get broadcast on NBC or NBCSN. Great for dinosaurs like myself that watch cable TV.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just looking to watch some GS and can’t seem to find any sites with previous races (or even many runs) posted.

anyone know of a place to catch these? I assume they are out there someplace.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Peacock TV
I'll merge this thread into that one.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So FIS have blocked any use of their video content and with ContentID youtube can determine at upload time if there's copyrighted content in a vid.

Created a side by side vid of Vhola-Shiffrin runs from Levi but FIS block it on upload to youtube so no joy in being able to share it even unlisted.

This has also affected the Ski Racing Podcast with Ed Drake and Tord Nilson. Ed's typically insightful MA segment had to be chopped out. Not sure how they can get that MA back in - it was a key part of each post.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So FIS have blocked any use of their video content and with ContentID youtube can determine at upload time if there's copyrighted content in a vid.

Created a side by side vid of Vhola-Shiffrin runs from Levi but FIS block it on upload to youtube so no joy in being able to share it even unlisted.

This has also affected the Ski Racing Podcast with Ed Drake and Tord Nilson. Ed's typically insightful MA segment had to be chopped out. Not sure how they can get that MA back in - it was a key part of each post.

Annnnnnnd we are wondering why ski racing has such low popularity in the US.

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
I don't begrudge content creators making an income but I hate paying these horrible networks for their tripe. I've been around advertising and media all of my career which explains the loathing I feel.

Up until now it's been possible to find week old coverage of WC skiing (all events) with from foreign broadcasters for free on YouTube. So I'm curious to see whether those channels get the chop?

From a marketing POV FIS and USSA do themselves no favors by restricting what could ultimately be a long term revenue stream bringing more skiers into competition. Why do we need any extra middle men, intermediaries? The forward thinking thing to do is free streaming and archives, inspirational and training videos, content that actually enhances ski culture. I don't know any young people who still have cable.

Imagine Cody Townsend level videos only about ski racing. Then go to your local ski area and see a logical and affordable progression from Nastar to local to regional competition for all ages, that's what would build up racing in the USA at least.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't begrudge content creators making an income but I hate paying these horrible networks for their tripe. I've been around advertising and media all of my career which explains the loathing I feel.

Up until now it's been possible to find week old coverage of WC skiing (all events) with from foreign broadcasters for free on YouTube. So I'm curious to see whether those channels get the chop?

From a marketing POV FIS and USSA do themselves no favors by restricting what could ultimately be a long term revenue stream bringing more skiers into competition. Why do we need any extra middle men, intermediaries? The forward thinking thing to do is free streaming and archives, inspirational and training videos, content that actually enhances ski culture. I don't know any young people who still have cable.

Imagine Cody Townsend level videos only about ski racing. Then go to your local ski area and see a logical and affordable progression from Nastar to local to regional competition for all ages, that's what would build up racing in the USA at least.

Think there's a world of difference between a rebroadcaster free-loading on content creators using the whole or huge chunks of that content and folk using very short extracts.

Why FIS want to stamp on people like Ski Racing Podcast who would use a few seconds of footage and help promote the sport is beyond me. At the very least SRC educate the public with some informed commentary of the racers on course and always have a heads up about upcoming events. It may turn out that if they can't get some interesting footage for their MA they may just shut up shop.

Meanwhile at least FIS did make the Levi races available in real time and as playback for some parts of the world.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why FIS want to stamp on people like Ski Racing Podcast who would use a few seconds of footage and help promote the sport is beyond me.

In the music world there is a fair use policy that allows most copyrighted content to be used in 30 second or shorter chunks without having to ask for permission other than including a credit somewhere in the audio or video broadcast/stream/whatever.

Sadly the case with video isn't as clear cut, and FIS capitalizes on this. The sad thing is it's a common worldwide pool feed - it's not like ORF or EuroSport gets anything different than NBC or CBC, it's all the same stuff. Same thing goes with pro bicycling from UCI or ASO: one set of video feeds that everybody uses.

There are ways to get around the scanners but with more AI learning being applied to things every day it's getting more difficult to work around. I do wish the powers-that-be at FIS HQ would allow fair use for educational and analytical purposes. And given Ed Drake is the FIS' official TV broadcast commentator, it's asinine that they have edited out the meat of his VLOG content. Seriously, it makes zero sense.

I hope that someone who has Eliasch's ear is reading this to see how incredibly myopic such draconian content management is in terms of building goodwill for a sport that is in a state of atrophy around much of the globe.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
On one side you are right, on the other side there's something else to understand. Every single broadcaster using video is paying (not so little money) for rights to use video from races. It's not like for still photos where you need to pay your own expenses and that's it. For sound and video you need to pay rights. And once you do this, you (as broadcaster) want to get money back from that, and not allow someone else to use your footage for free, and maybe drive your viewers away to some other place, which is just getting profit but didn't pay a cent for that content. Or you (as FIS) want to make sort of equal market to everyone not giving free stuff to certain subjects while charging someone else for same thing.
PS: You guys have slightly too high hopes about Eliasch ;) No offense but it looks a bit funny that lately Eliasch is mentioned in every second post like he's some magician who will wave his magic wand and anything will be the way you want. If someone, then exactly Eliasch is person, who will make these payment things even tighter not looser.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a pretty clear cut case with rights, doesn't matter if it's music, footage or stills. Basically you cannot use anything that you do not have the rights to -- i.e. produced yourself or purchased the right to use by the owner. The Ski Racing Pod is a small deal, it's great fun and Ed is good at what he's doing, but even if it's tiny, it is a commercial product. They use material to create a platform from which they can generate "income". Would it be a smart thing for FIS to sponsor the Ski Racing Pod and have Ed on their payroll to produce commentary after each race weekend? Perhaps. Something like it (pleasing the diehards) at least. There are a few options on the Interwebz and a few personalities that has the capability and knowledge to make such a product interesting. FIS probably have ambitions with their own www, but hopelessly behind. Personally I believe it would be a smart move to have a few "independent" content producers assigned to tell the story of the WC season at different levels--from deep diehard analysis in a classic sense to just a cool video in social media. #politics

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Last year's Levi cut of the Ski Racing Podcast shows how little content from the telecast they used.

:(

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It might be a tiny bit, but from a legal perspective it's black and white. You can not use one single frame unless you have the rights. It's concidered theft of intellectual property (must be the only time alpine racing is concidered intellectual :roflmao:). OTOH I wonder if FIS could make a deal with him to use parts of the material for YT analysis videos post race weekend? Have no idea, really? I notice that British retailer Ski Bartlet is involved in some way (their logo is on there). Perhaps they should/could pony up for the rights? Would be a shame if they can't continue to include footage. As a contrast to other, inmo, pretty clueless "Internet Ski Experts", Ed actually know a thing or two about ski racing. Perhaps revert to audio only.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With regard to ability to watch ski racing (or cycling, for that matter), I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum are not asking for free coverage, let alone expecting it. At the risk of speaking for others without authorization, I think what we are looking for is consistent reasonable-quality coverage, the access path to which is well publicized and easy to follow ahead of the first races. We want to be confident that once we've paid up we're good for the rest of the season, so we're not jumping over surprise hurdles every Friday when it becomes clear that THIS race is only available over on the Voodoo Channel or whatever. That doesn't seem like so much to ask.

As has been discussed many times in the cycling threads, I understand that there is a very small handful of people like Rudi who apparently devote many hours and signficant resources, using specialized knowledge and a bunch of technical hacks, to rig up stealth operations that access Euro feeds here in the states. I think it's fair to say that most of us are not willing or able to follow that route. (God knows that I have tried, and failed every time.)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With regard to ability to watch ski racing (or cycling, for that matter), I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum are not asking for free coverage, let alone expecting it. At the risk of speaking for others without authorization, I think what we are looking for is consistent reasonable-quality coverage, the access path to which is well publicized and easy to follow ahead of the first races. We want to be confident that once we've paid up we're good for the rest of the season, so we're not jumping over surprise hurdles every Friday when it becomes clear that THIS race is only available over on the Voodoo Channel or whatever. That doesn't seem like so much to ask.

As has been discussed many times in the cycling threads, I understand that there is a very small handful of people like Rudi who apparently devote many hours and signficant resources, using specialized knowledge and a bunch of technical hacks, to rig up stealth operations that access Euro feeds here in the states. I think it's fair to say that most of us are not willing or able to follow that route. (God knows that I have tried, and failed every time.)
Not sure what you are commenting here Tony? Perhaps you meant to post in the "TV-coverage in the US"-thread?

EDIT. But I feel your pain over there.