• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm commenting on the slew of posts on this subject just above, in this thread:

Ok, I see, but bad race coverage by US networks/stations and using others broadcast material in your own YT "show" are two very different subjects inmo. Hence my confusion. Not making any judgments ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have moved several posts from the Women's WC thread to this one about coverage of ski racing.
Thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the question of rights:
We've had segments of our SkiTalk with Dan Egan segments blacked out of youtube because their algorithm catches something that is owned by another entity.
One case Volkl had a video that they bought the rights to music for their promotion. We showed their video while we were interviewing their athlete and had to go through a process to get our video allowed.
What a headache, but then we wouldn't want someone poaching content we create so I appreciate it.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Moderators, one suggestion: Why don't you remove "Peacock TV" from the thread title. It's evolved to a LOT more.

I think you'll have more people head here, and "condense" the discussion if you make that change, and maybe substitute "Various Media" or something like that. "Media Options". Whatever.

Get it out of the WC race threads, and the MS thread, for instance?

Thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Moderators, one suggestion: Why don't you remove "Peacock TV" from the thread title. It's evolved to a LOT more.

I think you'll have more people head here, and "condense" the discussion if you make that change, and maybe substitute "Various Media" or something like that. "Media Options". Whatever.

Get it out of the WC race threads, and the MS thread, for instance?

Thanks.
Done.
And I made it a sticky to keep it up top.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
For US fans…
Anyone else out there excited for HomeLight Killington Cup?!

STARTERS
Keely Cashman
Katie Hensien
AJ Hurt
Paula Moltzan
Nina O'Brien
Allie Resnick
Mikaela Shiffrin
Zoe Zimmermann

HOW TO WATCH (EST)
Saturday, Nov. 27
10am - HomeLight Killington Cup GS - run 1 LIVE, Streaming Peacock TV
1pm - GS - run 2 LIVE, Streaming Peacock
3pm - GS - same-day broadcast, NBC

Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021
9:45am - Slalom - run 1- LIVE, Streaming Peacock
12:30pm - Slalom, LIVE, Broadcast NBC
12:30pm - Slalom - run 2 LIVE, Streaming, Peacock
5:30pm - Slalom - Same-day delayed broadcast, Broadcast NBC Sports

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some enterprising kid ought to set up their phone to record off the TV and live stream to the peasants
That will probably be out there somewhere... those kinds of things frequently show up on youtube. But they're illegal, and therefore get taken down.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
FIS youtube doing a great job for some parts of the world!! :cool:

1637961013493.png

Now if you could just change the start time to make these events a bit more acceptable to us antipodeans that would be awesome.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Just checked my Peacock app and they are showing the first Killington run tomorrow at 3 PM EST and the second at 6 PM EST. Same thing on Sunday. So it seems they are not showing any live racing, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
Now if you could just change the start time to make these events a bit more acceptable to us antipodeans that would be awesome.
Welcome to my world :)

Just checked my Peacock app and they are showing the first Killington run tomorrow at 3 PM EST and the second at 6 PM EST. Same thing on Sunday. So it seems they are not showing any live racing, unless I am missing something.
I think you are missing something according to my post #46 above^ & when I put them on my watchlist this morning for tomorrow. I just looked again & the times are wonky, I would check at 10am tomorrow.
This what it shows now for my time MST...
Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 16-27-22 Home - Peacock.png

The NBC television broadcast begins at 3PM EST.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Watching M’s LL DH on Peacock.
Steve Schlanger is just doing his job, but he SUCKS. Terrible. CLUELESS. No insight. No knowledge/experience.
Very, very embarrassing. We need to “retire him.”

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Steve Schlanger is just doing his job, but he SUCKS. Terrible. CLUELESS. No insight. No knowledge/experience.
Schlanger is brutal

He's barely passable when paired with somebody who does know something, but ... it's pretty clear he knows nothing about skiing

4ster

Instructor
I just turned the music back on. We need Bode!

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
They probably told him not to comment on the actual skiing. One guy was 15’ outside the blue boundary but he just kept on chewing his script.

Pity since we know people who would call it better for free.

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
Question: Seeing sponsored banners for Generali (insurance), Zgonc (tools?), Liquid Moly (lube) and Rauch (juice). I know they’re all Euro brands but other than Audi (on the inflatable finish “arch”) they seem like second tier brands to me.

Why wouldn’t FIS WC skiing attract some international brands like Nestle, Pirelli, IKEA, etc.?

Or… a big drug company haha they should a few extra billion to spare.

Is this really why they fired that British lady, etc?

They should send Aksel out to close some deals.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Schlanger is brutal

He's barely passable when paired with somebody who does know something, but ... it's pretty clear he knows nothing about skiing
Schlanger is what God had in mind, when he created the mute button.

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Where is Steve Porino??? Don’t think I’ve ever heard Steve Schlanger solo at a ski event before ….. don’t want a repeat after today. BTW Steve Nyman doing expert commentary last year at the Hahnenkamm on NBC was great …. Lots of normally unheard insight on the skiers and their lines.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe it was not logistically possible for Steve Porino to commentate both races, whether from NBC side or from his side. I think he is doing remote from Idaho, but even so doing both events in the same day would probably make for a really long day. Mikaela Shiffrin will always be the focus for NBC right now.

I don’t think it was fair to Schlanger for NBC to assign him to do solo commentary when he has (I presume from every broadcast I have ever seen on TV, he is just a color guy to fill otherwise dead air, no matter what the sport) no ski racing background. If they were not broadcasting LL on TV (I think they were not) it doesn’t make sense to have an announcer who knows less than 99% (conservative estimate ) of the audience. Maybe they think a commentator is necessary to grow streaming viewership, but it doesn’t seem like they (NBC, USSSA) are doing a good job of promoting to an audience outside of existing fans of ski racing (that actually seems like a really hard thing to do in the US).

Personally I can’t watch without sound because I like hearing the sounds of the racers on the snow, but it also seems to require extra effort to focus on the skiing when the banal sounds of the commentary tend to lull me into a trance. It is easier to focus on the skiing when no one is talking if what they are saying does not provide value.

There has been some really great commentary from former or currently injured athletes over the past few seasons but most of those individuals probably have multiple better career options than broadcasting ski racing in the US.

Sponsor

Staff online