• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t think it was fair to Schlanger for NBC to assign him to do solo commentary when he has (I presume from every broadcast I have ever seen on TV, he is just a color guy to fill otherwise dead air, no matter what the sport) no ski racing background
I don’t think it is fair for us to be ripping on Schlanger either, he is just spewing the the information coming over the teleprompter or into his ear. At least he didn’t try to add his own technical analysis.
In this situation maybe talk about the course & its sections ahead of time then who is in the start, intermediate times & finish place. The rest of the time just mic the sound of the skis, snow, racers & cowbells (no air horns please).
Porino was on the hill at Killington so probably had other duties there. Even with former racers or coaches it doesn’t always work but I also thought Nyman was good last year. Bode was a hit at the last Olympics & even Vonn was pretty good the once or twice she’s done it. Personally I thought Ed Drake by himself was good at Solden.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’ll “revise and revisit” my immediate ripping on Schlanger, and instead direct it RIGHT AT the USSS and USST, and FIS who contract with NBC and their affiliate companies MSNBC and Peacock.

Schlanger is the classic sports “commentator” who is a essentially close to a jack of all trades and master of none. No ski master. And no doubt he put his ALL into this, and did a lot of prep work. How his actual day in the studio “works”, I gave no idea. What he has on the screen for info, a script, who he has in his ear…..no idea.

i have spoken to a few guys who have fone this remotely, including Mr. Miller, who said it was “pretty cool, pretty easy”, but he was not solo.

Hearing Steve S go one about the section names on the course, often being a bit lost as to which turn or section the racer was allegedly entering or exiting got old. And he obviously was filling space with commenting on split times.

He was prepared with some info on most every skier. Now, a Bode might have noted that Randy Pelkey and staff have been TRYING to work on Ganong’s start forever. And then might have noted his graceful, slow skating start.

It all goes back to the same old-same old of there being opportunity, PERHAPS, to increase awareness and interest in the sport…..but not without really overhauling the works. Which takes money, investment and a demonstrable ROI. So….maybe no change.

I wonder if they had another guy, another DHer lined up to work with Schlanger, who ended up bailing, and for whom they could not backfill?

I agree that railing on Schlanger, in retrospect is NOT fair. Apologies on me. But railing on EVERYBODY who put him in that spot? Fair game, IMO.

There were obviously no expectations for much a LL, so no urgency for some type of A team.

We’ll hope for a good day today. Glad we at least get to watch!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Muleski USST, FIS and similar have very very little to do with quality of production anyone is getting, and even less with quality of commentators. In reality, it's not that they have very little to do with that, they actually don't have anything at all to do with it. Race organizers, pretty much everyone except Austrians, Swiss and not sure which is third country, next to previous two, who didn't sell all the rights to Infront and market their own races and tv rights on their own, sold TV rights to Infront. From there on, network that pays the most (if there's more then one), gets the rights. What they do with these rights is not Infront thing, and even less FIS (or USST) thing. Looks like NBC paid the most to get tv rights for USA (if there was anyone else interested at all), and then they do what they do. So NBC or MSNBC or Peacock is the place to complain not USST or FIS.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Muleski USST, FIS and similar have very very little to do with quality of production anyone is getting, and even less with quality of commentators. In reality, it's not that they have very little to do with that, they actually don't have anything at all to do with it. Race organizers, pretty much everyone except Austrians, Swiss and not sure which is third country, next to previous two, who didn't sell all the rights to Infront and market their own races and tv rights on their own, sold TV rights to Infront. From there on, network that pays the most (if there's more then one), gets the rights. What they do with these rights is not Infront thing, and even less FIS (or USST) thing. Looks like NBC paid the most to get tv rights for USA (if there was anyone else interested at all), and then they do what they do. So NBC or MSNBC or Peacock is the place to complain not USST or FIS.
Absolutely!
In fairness to Schlanger: when he is paired with an expert he usually does a decent job and often voices/ asks questions of his expert commentator that generally are those that a casual viewer might ask. And whether skiing or cycling coverage ,often gives lots of time to his expert partner to comment.
As someone who has” been there” I suspect his anxiety over covering something he has only superficial knowledge of is far greater than our disappointment as racing enthusiasts.
I was an on air anchor at the 94 OWG in
Lillihammer… to cover medical stories ( doping etc etc) for CBS. It was kid in the candy store time for me as when I was off I got to indulge my Alpine racing fantasies… slipping the mens SG and GS , in the start for the DH etc. Unfortunately, bad timing had me and show anchor out at the nordic center when a mens nordic race turned into a real two way race and CBS cut live for Harry Smith and I to call the finish. Neither of us knew ANYTHING about nordic / cross country skiing let alone who the players were.
To this day I am so embarrassed for the job we did and really feel for the poor fan of the sport who had to listen to the two us showing how little we knew… all the while with a producer yakking in our ear trying to give us some clue as to what was going on.
That, mercifully, was a one time event . I feel for Steve Schlanger who NBC puts in that position repeatedly.
The WC announcing situation at NBC reflects their disdain and lack of financial ROI for skiing coverage unless it’s an XGames/ extreme/ OWG event.

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
I’ll “revise and revisit” my immediate ripping on Schlanger, and instead direct it RIGHT AT the USSS and USST, and FIS who contract with NBC and their affiliate companies MSNBC and Peacock.

Schlanger is the classic sports “commentator” who is a essentially close to a jack of all trades and master of none. No ski master. And no doubt he put his ALL into this, and did a lot of prep work. How his actual day in the studio “works”, I gave no idea. What he has on the screen for info, a script, who he has in his ear…..no idea.

i have spoken to a few guys who have fone this remotely, including Mr. Miller, who said it was “pretty cool, pretty easy”, but he was not solo.

Hearing Steve S go one about the section names on the course, often being a bit lost as to which turn or section the racer was allegedly entering or exiting got old. And he obviously was filling space with commenting on split times.

He was prepared with some info on most every skier. Now, a Bode might have noted that Randy Pelkey and staff have been TRYING to work on Ganong’s start forever. And then might have noted his graceful, slow skating start.

It all goes back to the same old-same old of there being opportunity, PERHAPS, to increase awareness and interest in the sport…..but not without really overhauling the works. Which takes money, investment and a demonstrable ROI. So….maybe no change.

I wonder if they had another guy, another DHer lined up to work with Schlanger, who ended up bailing, and for whom they could not backfill?

I agree that railing on Schlanger, in retrospect is NOT fair. Apologies on me. But railing on EVERYBODY who put him in that spot? Fair game, IMO.

There were obviously no expectations for much a LL, so no urgency for some type of A team.

We’ll hope for a good day today. Glad we at least get to watch!
Agreed on how this is likely not Steve Schlanger’s personal fault … just another example of a big network checking the boxes with little concern on the resulting quality or added insight.

Muleski

Inactive
@Primoz, thanks.
And thank you @migdriver,

I understand and realize this, BUT, here in the USA, at the board level of USSS/USST there has been a lot of recent {last season plus} discussion and frankly concern about how poorly the alpine race events are made available and “delivered” even to the most avid fans.

That is FACT. When you have the members of the board’s exec committee, in unison saying “This just terrible….” that is telling.

Yes, Infront’s business interests presumably do no align with the USST’s needs. Why should they? And, yes in our universe, NBC was the highest {only?} bidder.

NBC is an American company, and the relationship with US Skiing and the USST has always been thick as thieves, so to speak. The relationship with the US Olympic Committee {all sports} seems huge. I’m not a complete moron. My college roommate ran NBC sports for a number of years {Another friend was the president of CBS sports.} It’s obviously not a charitable cause. They need to make money.

A big part of the search for US Skiing CEO Tiger Shaw’s replacement centered around the need to get on top of this and eventually do a much better job with “Media” of all types, broadcasting and awareness. The works. Like get current and very professional/skilled in all respects. Too many were “good people”, living in PC, who have basically learned on the job.

Also discussion, quietly about “What the hell do we do when MS is gone?”

For those connected to the team, the board, the sport, after searching for a way to view thDH at L.L., I know {from a number of texts} that there was tremendous disappointment from many in the broadcast. In total. Not the video feed, that was fine.

There was a strong feeling that NBC showed no concern/understanding/interest by ganging Schlanger out there. Not close to equipped. Unfair, but does not excuse how bad things were.

I spoke with a friend who largely runs that board these days as Nelson pays a lot of attention to exactly what he wants to. Intense, narrow focus. This guy is a “big fixture” in the ski world, and was at Killington for a variety of reasons. He was furious at the L.L. NBC/Peacock “product” showing LL, which he later watched.

My take is that while those organizations that buy the rights, and write the biggest checks have always had the ability to broadcast as they see fit, and sell subscriptions, etc. Heck, it’s their business. But, the governing body here in the USA clearly thinks the process is badly broken. Given their spend, they want change. Or so I hear. And yes, the complaint route is not to FIS. And USST IS DOING A LOT OF THE COMPLAINING right now! So who is on what side of the fence? Gets even more confusing!

Has a governing body ever bought their own country’s broadcast rights, then licensed them to others. As in “We’ll control this whole mess.” Bylaws likely prevent it.

Trying to increase the fundraising and major sponsorship for USST without reasonable access to even mediocre broadcast is a big problem. Or an impossibility.

The friend I spoke with donates a couple of Million dollars a year to the sport. He has a voice.

Some of us differ in that some see things as never changing. And I understand why. I see them as being ready to change. With some influential people who think it is long overdue. Some think Eliasch has no real power or influence. I feel differently.

The sliver of people who care about the sport in the USA is pretty narrow. But there is some enormous wealth and influence there, and people who have disrupted the way things always were in their own careers with great success.

For example, the only women’s WC stop in North America was not really going all that well right until the end of the second SL run today. Weather, timing issues, blah/blah. It
was on NBC this afternoon. Share of viewers will be tiny. The whole thing will get a lot of “attention” in Park City.

I had dinner last night with a number of younger former racers, and families, ex NCAA and USST most of whom ALL had WR’s in the sub 300 range. Amazing how almost all think the sport of Alpine ski racing is “Just SO effed up.” They all love to ski. None want their kids to race. Made me sad, but I get it. Who cares about it?

Most people in this country have NO idea. Worse, or more sad, are the folks who live in ski country and consider it to be a rich kids’ sport. Rule it out fast, as in “We’ll never be able to afford that….” They surely do not care. Not the way it once was.

The lack of overall exposure hurts. We do have 350 Million people living here. Eliasch seems very in tune with that. And TV, streaming….whatever kind of viewership, just getting eyeballs on it is what counts. Not “local crowds.” Or, so explained to me. I don’t know if people grasp that.

Aspen would be a great site because of the name, the brand, the tradition. The physical beauty on the screen. They might get 5K people a day there…maybe. Doesn’t matter. The chain of viewership to advertising and sponsorship dollars does.

I have put a lot into the sport. I recall very well as a little boy when the 1960 Olympics took place at Olympic Valley, CA. With two American male medalists. That stuff, and a lot of Bob Beattie’s coaching and creativity did a lot for the sport worldwide.

We’ll see. If it goes nowhere, so be it. Won’t affect me. Will it affect my coach “kids.” Maybe.

A lot people are disenchanted with things. And at the new top of the USST, a bigger awareness of ever of the need to fix it. Tiger Shaw takes a constant beating for being such a weak “leader.” But, there is anything but unanimous support for the new CEO.

So, yeah the issue of viewing here needs a BIG fix. Let the bright minds come up with it.

I was called a month ago, with a USST friend soliciting a HUGE contribution {which we could not possibly afford}. We did have a decent conversation. And my point that the extreme challenge of trying to EVEN watch ski racing is a BIG problem. He said “we are hearing in loud and clear every day. ALL THE TIME. WE need to get it fixed.”

Yep, USST has some real interest. Bitch at them, bitch with them…..whatever. I hope that even if Schlanger was a sacrificial lamb {for just doing his job}, that Peacock effort is a low point. We’ll see how BC is broadcast.

The joke/question there right now is how on earth did BC ever pass the snow control. It’s “sorta thin”, I guess. The top is in great shape.

Sorry to ramble….

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Primoz, thanks.
And thank you @migdriver,

I understand and realize this, BUT, here in the USA, at the board level of USSS/USST there has been a lot of recent {last season plus} discussion and frankly concern about how poorly the alpine race events are made available and “delivered” even to the most avid fans.

That is FACT. When you have the members of the board’s exec committee, in unison saying “This just terrible….” that is telling.

Yes, Infront’s business interests presumably do no align with the USST’s needs. Why should they? And, yes in our universe, NBC was the highest {only?} bidder.

NBC is an American company, and the relationship with US Skiing and the USST has always been thick as thieves, so to speak. The relationship with the US Olympic Committee {all sports} seems huge. I’m not a complete moron. My college roommate ran NBC sports for a number of years {Another friend was the president of CBS sports.} It’s obviously not a charitable cause. They need to make money.

A big part of the search for US Skiing CEO Tiger Shaw’s replacement centered around the need to get on top of this and eventually do a much better job with “Media” of all types, broadcasting and awareness. The works. Like get current and very professional/skilled in all respects. Too many were “good people”, living in PC, who have basically learned on the job.

Also discussion, quietly about “What the hell do we do when MS is gone?”

For those connected to the team, the board, the sport, after searching for a way to view thDH at L.L., I know {from a number of texts} that there was tremendous disappointment from many in the broadcast. In total. Not the video feed, that was fine.

There was a strong feeling that NBC showed no concern/understanding/interest by ganging Schlanger out there. Not close to equipped. Unfair, but does not excuse how bad things were.

I spoke with a friend who largely runs that board these days as Nelson pays a lot of attention to exactly what he wants to. Intense, narrow focus. This guy is a “big fixture” in the ski world, and was at Killington for a variety of reasons. He was furious at the L.L. NBC/Peacock “product” showing LL, which he later watched.

My take is that while those organizations that buy the rights, and write the biggest checks have always had the ability to broadcast as they see fit, and sell subscriptions, etc. Heck, it’s their business. But, the governing body here in the USA clearly thinks the process is badly broken. Given their spend, they want change. Or so I hear. And yes, the complaint route is not to FIS. And USST IS DOING A LOT OF THE COMPLAINING right now! So who is on what side of the fence? Gets even more confusing!

Has a governing body ever bought their own country’s broadcast rights, then licensed them to others. As in “We’ll control this whole mess.” Bylaws likely prevent it.

Trying to increase the fundraising and major sponsorship for USST without reasonable access to even mediocre broadcast is a big problem. Or an impossibility.

The friend I spoke with donates a couple of Million dollars a year to the sport. He has a voice.

Some of us differ in that some see things as never changing. And I understand why. I see them as being ready to change. With some influential people who think it is long overdue. Some think Eliasch has no real power or influence. I feel differently.

The sliver of people who care about the sport in the USA is pretty narrow. But there is some enormous wealth and influence there, and people who have disrupted the way things always were in their own careers with great success.

For example, the only women’s WC stop in North America was not really going all that well right until the end of the second SL run today. Weather, timing issues, blah/blah. It
was on NBC this afternoon. Share of viewers will be tiny. The whole thing will get a lot of “attention” in Park City.

I had dinner last night with a number of younger former racers, and families, ex NCAA and USST most of whom ALL had WR’s in the sub 300 range. Amazing how almost all think the sport of Alpine ski racing is “Just SO effed up.” They all love to ski. None want their kids to race. Made me sad, but I get it. Who cares about it?

Most people in this country have NO idea. Worse, or more sad, are the folks who live in ski country and consider it to be a rich kids’ sport. Rule it out fast, as in “We’ll never be able to afford that….” They surely do not care. Not the way it once was.

The lack of overall exposure hurts. We do have 350 Million people living here. Eliasch seems very in tune with that. And TV, streaming….whatever kind of viewership, just getting eyeballs on it is what counts. Not “local crowds.” Or, so explained to me. I don’t know if people grasp that.

Aspen would be a great site because of the name, the brand, the tradition. The physical beauty on the screen. They might get 5K people a day there…maybe. Doesn’t matter. The chain of viewership to advertising and sponsorship dollars does.

I have put a lot into the sport. I recall very well as a little boy when the 1960 Olympics took place at Olympic Valley, CA. With two American male medalists. That stuff, and a lot of Bob Beattie’s coaching and creativity did a lot for the sport worldwide.

We’ll see. If it goes nowhere, so be it. Won’t affect me. Will it affect my coach “kids.” Maybe.

A lot people are disenchanted with things. And at the new top of the USST, a bigger awareness of ever of the need to fix it. Tiger Shaw takes a constant beating for being such a weak “leader.” But, there is anything but unanimous support for the new CEO.

So, yeah the issue of viewing here needs a BIG fix. Let the bright minds come up with it.

I was called a month ago, with a USST friend soliciting a HUGE contribution {which we could not possibly afford}. We did have a decent conversation. And my point that the extreme challenge of trying to EVEN watch ski racing is a BIG problem. He said “we are hearing in loud and clear every day. ALL THE TIME. WE need to get it fixed.”

Yep, USST has some real interest. Bitch at them, bitch with them…..whatever. I hope that even if Schlanger was a sacrificial lamb {for just doing his job}, that Peacock effort is a low point. We’ll see how BC is broadcast.

The joke/question there right now is how on earth did BC ever pass the snow control. It’s “sorta thin”, I guess. The top is in great shape.

Sorry to ramble….
A big upvote to your remarks.
a couple points: while I was at CBS i was lunch buddies with a deputy CFO who often reminded me why Lillihammer was to be their last Olympics. This was during the period in which CBS had lost football/ NFL rights and suffered significant financial loss. . They were determined to regain football but had little interest in regaining world wide rights holder for Olympics especially at a time when NBC was willing to write whatever it takes checks for both summer and winter games. Besides, the logistics / production expenses associated with the weather dependent winter games particularly with venues spread all over creation in non tv friendly mountains etc were immense . So, corporate decided no mas.
Re handwringing over MS eventual retirement : it’s nothing new though the potential financial consequences may be greater these days. Same oh dear, what will happen when the Mahre twins step back ? But along came Bode, Ligety, Mancuso, the irrepressible Lindsey Vonn , and more recently; MS.
Though it is concerning to me the relative lack of bench compared to the Swiss, Austrians, etc . USST seems to Hitch its wagon to an individual or two at the expense ( literally) of up and comers who get discouraged ( or injured) and depart. The current recruiting / selection and progression of national level athletes needs to change. Granted, this is the U. S. and these days alternative off mountain opportunities abound and compete for bright, assertive 20 somethings, unlike in traditional euro alpine nations. Still.
Fundamentally , sking and skiracing in particular is a small potatoes business/ sport in the U. S. despite the passion many of us who are involved may have for it.
Perhaps, the approach by USST and other stakeholders should evolve to become more entrepreneurial. A distictly more American scrappy , aggressive , start up approach to funding, promoting, and growing the sport rather than the calcific corporate model which appears to this outsider to prevail.
Whoops: my rant is approaching Muleski length :)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just a question....

How will mainstream North American audiences deal with race delays and cancellations? Which is a big factor in skiing. Whereas most other sports don't have that issue - the game or event goes ahead.

LL went from 2 DH + a SG to 1 DH and K lost the GS. Can be a lot of broadcast time to fill and a lot of unhappy advertisers.

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
I think it was 13-14 years between the Mahres and Bode, with Picabo having 15 minutes of fame. That’s a long wait for the pendulum to swing. They’d probably hire and fire half a dozen “revolutionary” CEOs and hundreds of consultants in that time.

Personally I fear that larger economic and societal issues will make skiing disposable to most. Sure the super elite will have their Yellowstone Clubs and Switzerland but skiing is already out of reach for the majority of Americans.

I loved ski racing too but I was greatly relieved when my kids showed no interest in it. Not only the time, money and travel are prohibitive but the very real probability that your child athletes will spend their later years crippled and arthritic.

As Mikaela now becomes a gingerly geriatric ski racer at 27 ~ and Killington blows an incredible amount of water and wattage to make some snow ~ it makes you wonder if we should rather have been Luddites? Live within our means, look at the long term sustainability… Frankly the new generation of alpine tourers and self-propelled adventurers looks like a better aspirational model.

(Thus my dig at Harvard and Yale, American plutocrats like Harriman effectively starting the ski craze based on the ravings of some pre-WW2 Eurocentric Ivy League fanatics. Maybe the circle is closing and it’s time for lift served skiing to wind itself down? Blow up the Bullwheels Komrades!)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
How will mainstream North American audiences deal with race delays and cancellations? Which is a big factor in skiing. Whereas most other sports don't have that issue - the game or event goes ahead.
Those millions and millions of silent fans?

Baseball has rain delays and rain outs. Even though there are now a fair number of indoor stadiums. Same with tennis, though even the French Open has a roof now to play one game.

Muleski

Inactive
For those outside the USA, and do not grasp the enormity of the business of big time NCAA college football, which is a huge and hugely profitable business. This is the stadium, “The Big House”, capacity of over 107,000 paying fans, at the University of Michigan. Pic taken after beating Ohio State. They play seven home games a season. Not a bad crowd.

I played the sport into college….not at that level. Does not do much for me now. If you are not familar with it, you just can’t “get it.”

HUGE.

1D709B9B-675A-4FE0-9721-4A527925A2FB.jpeg

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Baseball has rain delays and rain outs. Even though there are now a fair number of indoor stadiums. Same with tennis, though even the French Open has a roof now to play one game.

Yeah, it happens. Golf and certain types of motor racing get interrupted by weather.

However skiing seems to be in a league of its own with rates of cancellation and delays. In 2018-2019 6 out of 41 events were cancelled. 15%. Delays not mentioned. Probably a few obscured by fog - which is still somewhat interesting for skiers, less so for non-skiers.

Seems a fairly high rate. But maybe no big deal.

Do remember folk trying to start an 18m skiff racing GP series. The boats were fast and exciting. Big sails, small boats, lots of trapeze work. Good spectacle. Probably not the only factor in why it never caught on however the 1st race they planned was in Perth, Australia. Normally an ultra-reliable sea breeze at that selected date/time but it never showed up. Becalmed. Event was a TV fizzer and that was that.
1638163675183.png

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Of course there is a certain level of truth in all the above comments. BUT, the same can and was said in 1960-70-80-90-2000-2010-2020 and yes today. Sort of the nature of the winter beast that is Ski Racing on the world stage.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Totally off topic but as @Muleski and @migdriver went into this. Sure at the moment it looks like US will hardly score points once MS retires, but it doesn't mean it's really going to be like that. Remember us (Slovenia) few years back. Maze was only one winning and pretty much only one scoring point. Everyone were just like that.. when she will retire, we won't have anyone who would even qualify for second run. And it really looked like that. Nothing at that time current WC team, nothing at EC teams nothing with juniors either. But then Maze quit and next season we had people winning races (or at least placing top 3), and those people who hardly ever qualified for 2nd run were all of a sudden regular top 10 finishers. I'm not saying I know the reason for sure, but I would dare to bet main thing was, that everything was spinning around Maze those days. Noone else got neither finance, nor support, and noone really cared about them anyway. We have Maze, who cares about the rest. Once she was gone, things started to roll different way, and all of a sudden those "tourists" (as people called them) started to have good results. Sure not as good as Maze, but still pretty damn good.
And with US, I would say it's fairly similar. So maybe, also times after Shiffrin might be very similar to this what happened here. And yes, again sorry for completely off topic post :)

Muleski

Inactive
The post-MS USST will be interesting. We don’t know when that transition will start. She’s “only” 26, but has already had a full career. Let’s not delve into her back. It’s “likely an issue.”

i have posted before that her emergence and success has had many effects on the USST. Not totally unlike Maze. Good example. There are a LOT of former US female racers, older than MS who just quit because of the whole “Mikaela Factor.”

The entire USST Development system was just nutty over her before she had even had her first FIS start{which were a year earlier back then}. Basically, girls who were 16-20 when she arrived at 15 really were turned off. It did not help that in many ways she was a very immature and sheltered 15 year old who traveled with a very protective mom….who has morphed into one of her coaches.

Eileen S being so demanding, and IMO, Tiger Shaw being so willing to be steamrolled lead to the creation of her own team. And the immediate exit of probably our best coach and at least two young ladies who forced it by beating MS in training. One was soon dropped, the other left for the NCAA. The very popular path since MS arrived.

Over the past 6-8 years, it has become pretty clear that our development program on the USST is a pretty big mess, or a disaster, depending on who you talk to. I hear people very critical of the Development Director in 95% of conversations involving him.

We have a LOT of talent, in the younger years. It is so, so clear when you attend the biggest and best known European race series for the U16’s. We tend to kick ass year to year in the World Juniors.

But then? What happens? Do these kids really join a national team? Or do they join a list that gets invited to attend “projects and camps” {almost always at their expense}? Who do they belong to? Who is truly their group of coaches? Are the top club coaches and the alleged USST Development ranks on the same page. The same path.

Our best tend to get into the NorAm track early, and to stay there. Racing on North America is pretty comfortable. Yep, the fields can be really good, but it’s no Europa Cup. Not at all. Does it really get you ready? Many schools of thought. I don’t think that it truly does.

We have young women who “earn” WC starts every year, largely based on NorAm results and point profiles and never get a second run.

I’ve been watching these age groups for “a while.” Some of our girls were on fire at 15-16. Best in the world. I recall the names of those who they just dusted in Europe. Fast forward 6-7 years and some of those Euro’s are approaching the WC podium. Our former stars are perhaps starting. They would not be in the strongest team systems. More often than not they are eventually in the NCAA.

That leads to an amazing level of arrogance and “cluelessness” on the part of our head development coach and his crack staff. You would think by now that the USST and the NCAA programs would be TOTALLY integrated. No more of the bullshit lip service to the athlete, while turning their backs to them with some comments along the lines that if they were really serious, they would be skiing full time.

This issue of who’s athlete are they, their club’s, the team, who? still seems to never get resolved. And leads to athletes cobbling all sorts of stuff together.

In some respects it is due to the ginormous level of financial and overall support that goes to MS. Don’t get me going on it. With her income, she could probably self fund a bit. Well, we’re in this ugly “Catch-22” where the team would be nowhere without her. So, her “team” can make demands.

It has many people in the sport torqued off.

The reality is that we get excited about Paula Moltzan finishing in the top ten. A former USST cast off, who then joined the NCAA, and was then coached/tech’d by her BF. {who is a good guy and talented.} Did the team ever transform her fitness with the right work, nutrition plan, etc. NO. She is back, and better by clawing herself back.

There were two late starters at Killington who are now first years at Dartmouth. Both qualified based on their NorAm results at Copper. Neither are close to being ready for the WC. They know it. They also love school. And they and their families are convinced that it can be a BETTER development path than any other option.

It’s time, well past time for the USST to embrace those college programs. Instead of shitting all over them as they once did. I recall my younger cousin, years ago, being told that he “was dead to us” by the USST, because he dared to turn them down and head to college. He was a star in college. The dimwits with the team acted like jilted 14 year old girls. And it was that way for a long time.

The current development head was a manchild. And he went right to the USST, to the WC, won at WJC’s and then went to college after his career was over. The guy STILL thinks it’s the only route.

So….we have a LOT of female talent. How we’re getting them ready, another series of questions.

Men. We have some real talent there, too, but it needs to be managed well. And in my opinion the USST needs to have the stones to CUT guys who do not progress at older ages and are stuck in gear.

We have some young guys who can likely be something very special. All 25-26 and younger. Yet we still hold on to the “speed team” that we have, because it’s an Olympic year.

This younger group needs to have it built around them. In speed, Eric Arvidsson and Sam Morse are both former WJC DH winners. That often later translates to WC success. These guys work hard.

But fundamentally, we do not bring the best of this talent along like the Austrians, Norwegians, the Swiss.

i think it’s going to be a tough few years when MS is no longer on the WC.

You have a host of groups jumping up and down about increasing visibility, raising the profile of the sport, raising more money, more NA WC races…..etc.
Will be pretty hard with nobody near the podium, let alone talking about somebody chasing 100 wins.

In all honesty, I think that the gang never ever contemplated MS either being injured, or just saying “I’ve had enough…” I assume that nobody is dumb enough to be talking about FIVE medals in China. I hope.

When I hear discussions of media plans, and of trying to get the new CEO, who knows NOTHING about the sport up to speed, they are ALL centered around MS. New CEO thinks MS is delightful, bright a solid gold building block. Hmm.

On this media thing, watching a WC will look a lot different with no MS, until the rest really advance.

“We” asked for it. All about medals. If MS has further problems, and can’t start in China, how’s that looking?

I am very, very big on RCS. We’ll see how his Beaver Creek series goes. He can be a huge part of the USST’s progression. Hope he s

Off topic….but it sort of all hangs together.

Pushing for more US media visibility is a two edged sword? I can hear so many asking “Who are the Americans? Where are the Americans?”

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

In tennis, all the slams have roofs now.
Baseball is a mainstream sport with 162 regular season games. It's fine. Playoff delays are worse, but ... games aren't canceled, they're postponed. Advertisers are still satisfied.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I am very, very big on RCS. We’ll see how his Beaver Creek series goes. He can be a huge part of the USST’s progression. Hope he s
I like Ryan a lot, and he was going great lately and looked solid in LL, but ... he's 29 already. If he can avoid major injury, he probably has another 5ish years before an athletic drop-off, I'd think. Hopefully by 2025, somebody else will have taken up the mantle ... just not sure who.

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
So what happened with Lila Lapanja? She was beating MS quite often yet she has to pay her own way on everything and doesn't come from money.