• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, it's convoluted.

I'm guessing that NBC Universal still has the U.S. rights for all FIS competition other than ÖSV competitions, so Peacock Plus and Premium should still have the races live with the international broadcast commentators. It also appears that Outside+ is an option for pure streams (they have an app for most streaming boxes e.g. Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick). If you subscribe to Outside, Ski Magazine, VeloNews, or one of their other services you likely already have Outside+.

Another option for those who like playing with VPNs is to get a EuroSport Player subscription and watch that way. The coverage is great (and also includes things like cycling, track & field, and waaaay too much snooker coverage). You could also roll the dice with streams from networks in France, Germany, Austria, Norway, Switzerland, et al, but it's a bit of a crapshoot.

• How to Watch DOMESTIC U.S. World Cups: Outside+ and NBC platforms
  • How to Watch INTERNATIONAL FIS World Cup Events: skiandsnowboard.live
  • How to Watch AUSTRIAN FIS World Cup Events
  • How to Watch SLOVENIAN FIS World Cup Events
  • How to Watch CANADIAN FIS World Cup Events
  • How to Watch FINNISH FIS World Cup Events When It's Cold Out
  • How to Watch FRENCH FIS World Cup Events When You Are Tipsy
  • How to Watch ITALIAN FIS World Cup Events With A Plate On Your Lap And Marta's Brother In Law Laughing So Loudly You Can't Hear The Commentary
  • How to Watch ITALIAN FIS World Cup Events With A Plate On Your Lap WITHOUT Marta's Brother In Law In The Room
Please subscribe to my series of three hour podcasts on how to watch skiing on TV. The fee is only 379 Euros per month excluding VAT.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It also appears that Outside+ is an option for pure streams (they have an app for most streaming boxes e.g. Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick).
Good tip. I need to look into this because one of my perennial challenges is that I really like to watch this stuff on an actual TV (as opposed to my phone or a laptop or something). It being not really "my" TV, household politics being what they are, I don't have unlimited options on how to configure things. Installing an app on Apple TV, however, is definitely within the possible.

Edit: Well, if the reviews are anything to go by the Outside+ app is not worth installing.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it's a crap app but it's something - better than nothing.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Good tip. I need to look into this because one of my perennial challenges is that I really like to watch this stuff on an actual TV (as opposed to my phone or a laptop or something). It being not really "my" TV, household politics being what they are, I don't have unlimited options on how to configure things. Installing an app on Apple TV, however, is definitely within the possible.

Edit: Well, if the reviews are anything to go by the Outside+ app is not worth installing.
This. I will watch replays on YouTube while exercising but if I am getting up early or having a drink I want this on a TV. Paying so I can just see the events on an app, PC, tablet, or iPhone is not going to happen.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked a day or two ago. No snowsports options under the sports tab. If past experience is any guide, they will show up about fifteen minutes before or after the first race starts.
For the womens rugby World Cup that started earlier this month they didn’t announce the broadcast schedule or show up in the app until two days before the first game so I am not too worried about this yet…

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So USSS sent an email to its membership clarifying the FIS broadcast schedule and.... it's complicated.

Any domestic FIS World Cup event (alpine/freestyle/snowboard/nordic) will be carried on Outside+ and/or Peacock Plus/Premium.

Any non-U.S. competition that is not an Austrian event will be on FIS' streaming service (which, to these eyes, is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers).

Any Austrian events will be on the ÖSV streaming service.

Whatever the case: it's not simple, it's not fan-friendly.

I'm this close to taking on a Discovery+ UK subscription and a VPN to watch the EuroSport coverage if USSS can't work out a deal that has things on Peacock or Outside+. The FIS pricing schema is too similar to that of FloSports - i.e. premium pricing for a less-than-premium product.

Just my $0.02, as usual...

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So USSS sent an email to its membership clarifying the FIS broadcast schedule and.... it's complicated.

Any domestic FIS World Cup event (alpine/freestyle/snowboard/nordic) will be carried on Outside+ and/or Peacock Plus/Premium.

Any non-U.S. competition that is not an Austrian event will be on FIS' streaming service (which, to these eyes, is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers).

Any Austrian events will be on the ÖSV streaming service.

Whatever the case: it's not simple, it's not fan-friendly.

I'm this close to taking on a Discovery+ UK subscription and a VPN to watch the EuroSport coverage if USSS can't work out a deal that has things on Peacock or Outside+. The FIS pricing schema is too similar to that of FloSports - i.e. premium pricing for a less-than-premium product.

Just my $0.02, as usual...

The Austrian events will also be on Peacock.

There were promises of a discount code for skiandsnowboard.live for US Ski & Snowboard members

which

i guess?

since I have Peacock Premium with my Xfinity subscription, it basically comes down to whether it's worth it to me to get the additional skiandsnowboard.live subscription ... at $9/month for alpine only, that's ... $54 for 6 months (October through March)? Seems like a lot ...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I find this very unfortunate….I was going to say “almost unbelievable”……but sadly given who we’re dealing with it’s not just entirely believable, it’s to be expected.

Given the background of the new USSS CEO, the people who she has on staff….and the experience, strength and connections of the USSS/USST board, IMO, there is ZERO EXCUSE for yet another year of this charade.

The organization can’t hit a single one of their financial goals without increasing awareness, exposure, excitement, more interest, more followers……Seriously. Impossible.

THE yearly pre-Soelden pain in the ass!!!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find this very unfortunate….I was going to say “almost unbelievable”……but sadly given who we’re dealing with it’s not just entirely believable, it’s to be expected.

Given the background of the new USSS CEO, the people who she has on staff….and the experience, strength and connections of the USSS/USST board, IMO, there is ZERO EXCUSE for yet another year of this charade.

The organization can’t hit a single one of their financial goals without increasing awareness, exposure, excitement, more interest, more followers……Seriously. Impossible.

Great post.

My two cents: You have to love the game before you're ever going to love the team. The mistake they're making - and have made forever - is thinking that the priority is to get people to love AMERICAN ski racing. What they need to do is get people to love SKI RACING and then the love for the American racers will follow. And you're not going to love the game if you can't freaking watch it.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you subscribe to Outside, Ski Magazine, VeloNews, or one of their other services you likely already have Outside+.
I'm a longtime subscriber to the print versions of both Outside and Ski Magazine and they don't give me access to Outside+. I wrote to them and was told I needed to buy a specific Outside+ sub. My response to this: hell no.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you opt to get a subscription to Ski and Snowboard Live, a couple of notes:

1) There's an "Alpine Only" option for $8.99/month if that's all you want

2) Monthly subscriptions renew automatically on the same day of the month that you originally sign up. Since Solden doesn't start until Oct. 22nd, and the final race in Soldeu is currently scheduled for March 19th, if you wait until the 20th or 21st to sign up, you can potentially save 1 months' fee (if the schedule doesn't change) at the end of the season.

OR

3) If you have Peacock and can already get Solden, you can wait another week.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Great post.

My two cents: You have to love the game before you're ever going to love the team. The mistake they're making - and have made forever - is thinking that the priority is to get people to love AMERICAN ski racing. What they need to do is get people to love SKI RACING and then the love for the American racers will follow. And you're not going to love the game if you can't freaking watch it.
Amen to that!

It’s a catch 22.… We can’t broadcast ski racing because there is no interest but we can’t generate interest if we don’t broadcast ski racing.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
For those of you with Peacock, the Solden races are now showing up on the upcoming schedule. Add them to "my stuff" and you can watch them on your schedule. I get Peacock with my cable package.

I don't think the Outside+ deal is a solid marketing play to build interest and excitement about alpine ski racing. I can get better coverage of cornhole and curling on my tv than I can skiing.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
For those of you with Peacock, the Solden races are now showing up on the upcoming schedule. Add them to "my stuff" and you can watch them on your schedule. I get Peacock with my cable package.

I don't think the Outside+ deal is a solid marketing play to build interest and excitement about alpine ski racing. I can get better coverage of cornhole and curling on my tv than I can skiing.
Yep, a friend just send me a text moments ago and sure enough - they are now listed on Peacock.

CD9401FB-06DE-4C79-B6DC-5061AB2F0E4B.jpeg

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great post.

This, x100. And get away from myopically focusing on Olympic years; this stopped being an amateur sport decades ago. I think about all the new F1 fans, myself included, that got sucked into the sport by Drive to Survive. This is not a problem USSS can solve, but FIS should take a page from Liberty Media's playbook from when they bought F1. Obviously, FIS and F1 are totally different types of organizations (one being a federation of national ski organizations, the other a business) but if FIS could get a Netflix show and a streaming service that covers all the races, it could draw in a ton of new fans.

James

Out There
Instructor
Geez, what happens when you don’t have a personable, and somewhat known, star as Mikaela? Plus the Killington race.

James

Out There
Instructor
When was the last time that was the case though?
Before Bode mid 2000’s, and after the Mahre brothers. Course Bode might have been more infamous for his 2006 Torino debacle.

The number of skiers on the hill, who don’t recognize Mikaela’s name, is rather large.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Before Bode mid 2000’s, and after the Mahre brothers. Course Bode might have been more infamous for his 2006 Torino debacle.

The number of skiers on the hill, who don’t recognize Mikaela’s name, is rather large.
I'd think Bode's coming out party in SLC would have pushed him into that category.

So we're talking 20 years ago

Nobody remembers that

Edit - what about Picabo?

Sponsor

Staff online