• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The last few posts help illustrate just how small the number of casual “fans or followers”, and interested Americans really is. They are NOT like the people posting here.

The huge majority of skiers don’t know much about MS. I have heard people in the PR/Marketing world state than LV is poised to cast a bigger shadow. Men….Bode had more fans in Europe. The bad boy. The Mahres? Well, the ski world, including MOST of the USST really did not like them. The word “teammate” did not apply to them.

So…..there is a lot of work to be done. And a lot about the sport and not our one or two “stars.”

I think the USST is wasting money on some of their elder statesmen.

In related news, did folks pick up on Megan , aka “the Vagablonde” still drawing a USST paycheck on a new role as Mikeala's personal press officer. That has Eileen S’s fingerprints all over it. Won’t go into it any more…….I though Eileen had backed off on demands. Guess not.

Strange as this week Megan is all over her own social media saying how much she will miss being involved with the USST. Color me confused.

We don’t seem have anybody replacing Megan H in the overall team/WC role…but we see one person dedicated to one athlete. OK…..

Interestingly, I don’t see her husband Coley Oliver on the coach roster……he was the guy who replaced Jeff Lackie on Team Shiffrin pre-Olympics last year. Have no idea what he is doing…….

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
We are a week away from Solden! Anyone have insight on how or where to watch the races from the US?

This site worked well last year for Austrian races & it appears to be still in action. I just signed in & it indeed shows Solden on the schedule!

You see SÖLDEN in the schedule? All I see are the November 13th/14th Parallel slalom events...

Damn - Ski Austria worked well last year for Australia but seems it won't this season.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Bummer is right! Pretty sure it was there when I signed in last week. I wonder if it is a ploy by Peacock to make me cough up my $5 now instead of waiting till next weeks DH :doh::nono::doh: !

Looks like it may be a little wet & windy in Solden :(

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
VPN to European TV networks could work. Test with something they are currently streaming, then see if they plan to stream Sölden (major national networks would). Of course commentary would be in the respective language.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive

4ster

Instructor
At least Peacock is still listing the races...
1666370756398.png

4ster

Instructor
Peacock got my $5 last night & then the race was canceled :ogbiggrin:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like Peacock will carry Alpine races in the US and Austria, but not the others. I love watching biathlon and ski cross as well, not sure where those will be.

What a change for the worse compared to last year, when Peacock had everything. The US Ski & Snowboard streaming plan seems to be around $13/month — come on!

4ster

Instructor
What a change for the worse compared to last year, when Peacock had everything. The US Ski & Snowboard streaming plan seems to be around $13/month — come on!
Agreed! PITA!!

Looks like paying $8.99 for Alpine may be the way to go for me. I like the other sports but rarely have time to watch more than WC racing. Someone will have to do the math?
There are also sport-specific passes ($8.99/month) or you can pay per race ($1.99).

Last edited:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed! PITA!!

Looks like paying $8.99 for Alpine may be the way to go for me. I like the other sports but rarely have time to watch more than WC racing. Someone will have to do the math?
I get Peacock anyway so paying extra per race for the ones not on Peacock might make sense.

4ster

Instructor
I get Peacock anyway so paying extra per race for the ones not on Peacock might make sense.
I did some basic math & it turns out paying the $8.99 is a better deal for me, at least in December. The US races will have their usual half-assed partial network coverage here so I may just cancel Peacock after tomorrow or ask for a refund if tomorrow's race is cancelled. Then hopefully the Austrian feed comes through for those races?
Way to complicated for my low tech internet skills, wish we could go back to where I just set my DVR & watch at my leisure.

Has anyone found an app for Ski & Snowboard live? I couldn't find any thing in the app store.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Same here, so it's not an Australia thing... @4ster what do you see? Are you using a VPN set to appear from another country?

Set up a vpn, linked in via an Austrian server and still no joy from Ski Austria for Solden. Must have seen my sign-in as a "local" connection as the default language was German.

Tried a subscription to Kayo Sports which supposedly source from Fox, ESPN, etc, but they don't have any alpine ski racing at all. They have a 7 day free trial so at least that was no cost.

For the mens event later today will try vpn to a Eurosport subscription.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Update for anyone from southern hemi.

Since the vpn connection was Austrian, Eurosports wanted an Austrian credit card with no option to change the CC country. Had read somewhere that geo-fencing of CC could be worked around using the iPhone Eurosports app but they doesn't offer any subscription to Australia.:(

OTOH there's a few youtube channels offering coverage of most of the race. It's not live and the vid quality is not as good as Ski Austria but it will have to do for the time being.

4ster

Instructor
OTOH there's a few youtube channels offering coverage of most of the race. It's not live and the vid quality is not as good as Ski Austria but it will have to do for the time being.
A few years ago I was finding coverage of the races on a Russian YouTube channel. It was in Russian but still kind of fun to listen to.
Maybe post a link when you do find current races on YouTube. Sometimes they are there for a while and then quickly disappear.

I watched yesterdays mens GS on Peacock. Ed Drake was the announcer & coverage was good without being overly dramatic. They missed Pinturault who was first out of the gate but otherwise all racers were there with no commercial interruptions.
A few years ago I bought an iPhone adapter so I could plug my phone or iPad directly into my big screen to watch. Last year this would not work for Peacock but they seem to have solved that issue as I was able to do it yesterday without a glitch.
I will need to look at the upcoming race schedule closely but pretty sure I will cancel Peacock & begin a monthly subscription to https://skiandsnowboard.live/channel/vfc-8ym7zfeij/content?c=Alpine Ski & hope https://app.skiworldcup.live/login works for Austrian races & there is decent coverage of the US races on our regular network TV.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor

Runs one and two complete have been posted also maybe not for long.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Bears repeating, FIS makes it hard to be a ski racing fan. We* are willing to pay for on-demand access to full worldcup footage. This whole thread is about trying to achieve this feat, which should not be a challenge!

* fans who reside in various countries and do not care about licensing deals and other such matters

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
If you have a network and billing address that lets you pay for it, eurosport subscription does have VOD in various languages of the full race. Not sure how long it's up, but at least still there if you were sleeping, or were out doing your own sports during that time.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January