• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe post a link when you do find current races on YouTube. Sometimes they are there for a while and then quickly disappear.

Didn't want to jinx it! They do vanish pretty quickly. The one @James posted is geo-locked which can also be an issue.

Channel I found is "WinterSportSki".

No idea how they get around youtube contentID technology. Last year I did some skier vs skier comparisons and once contentID was in place youtube pinged it for even few seconds of coverage.

Bears repeating, FIS makes it hard to be a ski racing fan. We* are willing to pay for on-demand access to full worldcup footage. This whole thread is about trying to achieve this feat, which should not be a challenge!

* fans who reside in various countries and do not care about licensing deals and other such matters

Always thought rule #1 in business was "make it easy for people to give you money." FIS must have a different business rule book.

Be nice if FIS Alpine at least put up highlights of the race as they have done past seasons. So far nothing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My cable company just announced that Peacock won't be included anymore as of January 15th. Looks like some extra motivation for me to subscribe to Outside+ maybe... hmmm....

arkay

Booting up
Skier
So USSS sent an email to its membership clarifying the FIS broadcast schedule and.... it's complicated.

Any domestic FIS World Cup event (alpine/freestyle/snowboard/nordic) will be carried on Outside+ and/or Peacock Plus/Premium.

Any non-U.S. competition that is not an Austrian event will be on FIS' streaming service (which, to these eyes, is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers).

Any Austrian events will be on the ÖSV streaming service.

Whatever the case: it's not simple, it's not fan-friendly.

I'm this close to taking on a Discovery+ UK subscription and a VPN to watch the EuroSport coverage if USSS can't work out a deal that has things on Peacock or Outside+. The FIS pricing schema is too similar to that of FloSports - i.e. premium pricing for a less-than-premium product.

Just my $0.02, as usual...
Agree. FloSports is ridiculously expensive. I am glad I signed up for the Peacock annual. $20 is less than I paid for four months last year.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, so I've been looking forward all day to sitting down to watch today's women's slalom from Levi. I have both Peacock and Outside+. I also looked over on skiandsnowboard.live. I am not seeing it. Arrrrgh. Again. For the hundredth time.

Anyone know how to do this?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t think anyone really does!
I watched on ski and snowboard live paid $9 for Alpine Only.
I don’t know who the commentator was, but it was about the most lackluster I have ever heard. I was looking forward to it being Ed Drake but not to be.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably too late but in case anyone else is looking in the future, find where it says Race Replay, location is different depending on whether computer, tablet, phone. The race will show up there. After clicking on the race, if you haven’t subscribed yet, it will give you the option to register and choose a subscription. That website is extremely confusing and if there are any instructions anywhere for how to subscribe I couldn’t find them, ended up just clicking in a bunch of places for 10-15 minutes until something finally worked.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Posted that also in the women's WC thread but Shiffrin has mentioned a discount code for skiandsnowboardlive: SHIFFRIN23 (case sensitive).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
it was about the most lackluster I have ever heard

Yes! For most of it, I was thinking they just got someone who'd never skied or commented on skiing to do it, so he could only comment on the splits... but every now and then he'd say something that made me think he did know skiing. But mostly he didn't say much, and seemed kind of out of it.

Probably too late but in case anyone else is looking in the future, find where it says Race Replay, location is different depending on whether computer, tablet, phone. The race will show up there. After clicking on the race, if you haven’t subscribed yet, it will give you the option to register and choose a subscription. That website is extremely confusing and if there are any instructions anywhere for how to subscribe I couldn’t find them, ended up just clicking in a bunch of places for 10-15 minutes until something finally worked.

I found the regular PC website to be a lot easier than the mobile site. You click on "Alpine Ski" in the top banner and it's pretty obvious how to watch the replay, or current race.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found the regular PC website to be a lot easier than the mobile site. You click on "Alpine Ski" in the top banner and it's pretty obvious how to watch the replay, or current race.
Yes, it was not hard to find the race. It was confusing (for me) to figure out how to subscribe the day before the race.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Which site are you talking about?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Posted that also in the women's WC thread but Shiffrin has mentioned a discount code for skiandsnowboardlive: SHIFFRIN23 (case sensitive).
Yeah, I've avoided that thread because spoilers.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! For most of it, I was thinking they just got someone who'd never skied or commented on skiing to do it, so he could only comment on the splits... but every now and then he'd say something that made me think he did know skiing. But mostly he didn't say much, and seemed kind of out of it.

Skiandsnowboard.live
Okay, got it. Thanks. I'd been reading on several pages, including this one, about watching on that site. However, I hadn't understood that it was yet another subscription service (having already paid for Peacock and Outside+, which I had previously understood to be the outlets for 2022-23). :doh: When you go there without having paid, they show you upcoming events but not past events. So it's not clear at that point whether they even have replay capability. (I am not going to be watching most races live.)

Tried it. Didn't work.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Receipt from Infront Sports & Media AG

Ah! Okay, so this site is the European TV production outfit setting themselves up as a direct vendor in the US. SMH

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, got it. Thanks. I'd been reading on several pages, including this one, about watching on that site. However, I hadn't understood that it was yet another subscription service (having already paid for Peacock and Outside+, which I had previously understood to be the outlets for 2022-23). :doh: When you go there without having paid, they show you upcoming events but not past events. So it's not clear at that point whether they even have replay capability. (I am not going to be watching most races live.)

Tried it. Didn't work.
Interesting, that's what she posted. It's only for US-based viewers. Someone else said that SHIFFRINFANS2023 worked.

I haven't tried myself, I'd already paid.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Used Peacock all last year no problems. Can't get Killington to come up this year, help !!!

Signed up to skiandsnowboadlive this year,works good. I put "/channel" when posting up and had no problems.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Used Peacock all last year no problems. Can't get Killington to come up this year, help !!!

Signed up to skiandsnowboadlive this year,works good. I put "/channel" when posting up and had no problems.
I don't see it yet on Peacock either. Hopefully it shows up as expected for tomorrow's race.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't see it yet on Peacock either. Hopefully it shows up as expected for tomorrow's race.
Do you happen to know how Peacock will work this year? Used to go L and down to sports, scroll to the icons of the different sports, i.e. there was a mountain icon for skiing etc.. But it is no there this year. Did they throw a trick in there?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you happen to know how Peacock will work this year? Used to go L and down to sports, scroll to the icons of the different sports, i.e. there was a mountain icon for skiing etc.. But it is no there this year. Did they throw a trick in there?
Not that I know of, but I haven't watched an event on Peacock this year. I looked for the skiing icon, same as you did. Also ran a search for Killington,, and FIS, and didn't see anything.

BUT... a search for slalom right now shows me the second runs tomorrow and Sunday. I wonder if that's all that they'll have available? There was mention that the NBC/Peacock coverage would be less than the Outside+ coverage for US events. I wonder if that means second runs only for SL and GS on Peacock?

Sponsor

Staff online