• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Memorial Day

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor our comrades in arms that gave the last full measure. Words fail me when I think of them, people I knew and family members I never met. Please take time today to remember all our fallen.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I spent the weekend thinking about the times I spent at the cemetery with my grandparents learning about our family heritage through the tomb stones, and seeing the family before me who had flags on their graves. It meant something to my grandparents and they made sure that it means something to me.

This piece from Andy Rooney from 2005 60 Minutes is sobering.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/rooney-rethinks-memorial-day-2/

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed,

I feel fortunate that I don't know anyone having died for the country, know many who served and a few in near death combat. They amaze me. Watching several Public TV specials always put things in perspective.

In any case, my sympathy to those who died, my appreciation to those who served and lived.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When we are far from the resting places of our loved ones we look up a military cemetary in the area. We found Fort George Wright Military Cemetery this year, it is now property of Fairchild AFB here in town. It is not large but it is very well kept and sits on some amazing ground in the woods above rapids in the Spokane River. There were veterans from the: Indian Wars, Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Korea and the modern conflicts. A sad but real thing were the number of infant children of active military there were interred there, Having to leave your lost child behind must have been a sad reality for many military families pre WWII.

We have developed the attitude that if we can not be near the ones we loved, love and honor those you are near. There were not many flowers there, and they should never be forgotten.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Lest we forget what this weekend is truly about.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
After having served in our Nation's military for nearly a quarter of a century, it is sobering to look at my address book and see far too many phone numbers of friends and colleagues who will never answer again, lost to post 9/11 conflicts...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My kids at my dad's marker in Arlington 4 years ago. His death was ruled combat related, but long after he retired. Complications.. He also served in Vietnam, was still in war college, officer training at the end of WWII, not really a WWII vet...Gonna get that corrected when my mom passes and I start up a new dialogue with them to have her ashes added to the grave there.

12208556_1170873642928172_8561756302458051844_n.jpg

Last time they saw him they were very small toddlers and he gave them MnMs..

My grandfather is also buried at Arlington. He was the Artillery Commander for the 12th Armored Division during WWII.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Its a busy weekend for me. I joined the Marine Corps League a year ago and they are an active bunch not a social club.
memparade19A.jpg
Pre parade.
These guys do a lot, for anyone. Color guards and firing details for vets, Marines and FMF Corpsmen get preference, but if the people are available, we have done other branches. Flag folding with the fold by fold commentary. Sat was a color guard, a parade, with a firing detail, Sun was a flag folding and two firing details. Sun was a color guard at the VA with a firing detail, a large parade, and a color guard with firing detail. The Silent Drill team is in no danger of losing their job, but we do OK.
I lose a couple more pounds I will be legal to wear dress blues again. Not MY dress blues :)
Any branch or civilian can join as an associate member, regular members are Marines and FMF Corpsmen. If you have time, look them up.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I am a member of the "Sons of the American Legion", membership is open to sons of service members who served in time of combat. The group is first a service organization dedicated to helping vets and those in need. I always felt uncomfortable around these organizations because I did not have to serve during the Vietnam era. I joined out of respect for my dad who was a Lt. in Army infantry during WW2 and fought in Burma with a unit known as Merrills Marauders.
This past Friday, I joined members of our Legion post who visited 4 local cemeteries to plant flags on the graves of members of the armed services. Graves are indented by either info on the stone, or, a bronze marker placed nest to the stone. It is an honor to give a few hours to recognize those who served. Also, I have met several remaining WW2 vets, and, attended funerals recently with the Legion for recently deceased.
Tomorrow, Memorial Day is the most important remembrance event celebrated by the Legion. All parades and social events are cancelled. Just a brief service at the Legion Post with taps and 7 gun salute. Damn this virus.
My hope is someday, the Legion and VFW no longer exist for the same reason Andy Rooney states, wars no longer occur.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@T-Square ,

Thanks for the reminder of what is important to remember and why we have this Holiday time to reflect and appreciate the things we do enjoy, things greatly paid for by those who served and in particular gave their lives.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hats off to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom and safety.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
These are sobering figures. We are headed back to our small military cemetery today. We can never repay them and we should never forget.
01-military-deaths-mobile1.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Not like but thanking you for posting.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Today take a moment to reflect upon all the servicemen and women who have given their lives in defense of our USA and our ideals. We will be forever in their debt.

Sponsor

Staff online