• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Memorial Day

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I find I can be reflective and grateful for those who gave the last full measure, and also enjoy the fruits of their sacrifice. It’s not an either/or proposition.
Unfortunately too many people are forgetting the reflective part.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
49F8DF59-F696-4BF9-BF15-42CE3B224421.jpeg
My Grandfather. Nettuno Italy Allied Cemetery. Family chose to have him buried there and not brought home. My Dad was born March 20th, 1945. My beloved Grandma didn’t really ever speak much of this but gave my daughter her Prayer Book in which their wedding date is inscripted early 1944. We don’t forget. Grateful for their marriage and our family who I’m sure he’d be proud of. 3 grandsons 4 great grand kids so far. Not sure kids these days really know what it takes to live this American experiment.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My FIL's gravesite at Arlington National Cemetery, VA. My MIL on right recently passed away at age 99 and will soon be laid to rest beside her husband. Both were US Military veterans. FIL was a Naval Aviator. MIL was a WAVE and worked as a codebreaker during WWII.
Van Hoomissen grave.jpg

I never served in the US Military, but was a Navy civilian employee for many years and have great respect for all veterans. My parents are also buried at Arlington National Cemetery. It's an amazing and hallowed place that is worth a visit by anyone that journeys to the Washington DC area especially on Memorial or Veterans Day.

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about the other wars but the Vietnam War was somewhere between 56K to 58K and I never saw a number close to 90K I would question that number.
I agree. Official number for the Vietnam War is 58,220. A little research seems to indicate the numbers in that listing includes all deaths of active duty service members during the time period. That includes deaths not in the combat theater.

Either way, sobering numbers. I have 2 uncles buried at Arlington. I spent 2 years as an engineering officer on cargo ships hauling munitions into Vietnam. Luckily never saw real action though our ship was shot at going up the Siagon River.

c

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My FIL's gravesite at Arlington National Cemetery, VA. My MIL on right recently passed away at age 99 and will soon be laid to rest beside her husband. Both were US Military veterans. FIL was a Naval Aviator. MIL was a WAVE and worked as a codebreaker during WWII.
View attachment 170209

I never served in the US Military, but was a Navy civilian employee for many years and have great respect for all veterans. My parents are also buried at Arlington National Cemetery. It's an amazing and hallowed place that is worth a visit by anyone that journeys to the Washington DC area especially on Memorial or Veterans Day.
We're bringing mom's ashes up to be interned there with dad July 1st. Been waiting a year and a half to finally get that scheduled.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I graduated from high school in 1964, prime time for the drafting of recent grads. I grew up in a prime area of Philly for WW2 vets to live, in an era called the post-war baby boom. High School graduating class was about 900 boys, school was Father Judge. Judge guys, as they are known, have the unfortunate distinction of having the most grads killed in VietNam, the total is 27. 8 were in my class, my peers who never had a chance to live my life. Probably never got to feel the thrill of skiing down a mountain, I never did growing up.

There is a saying "all gave some, some gave all". Memorial Day is for those who "gave all". Tomorrow, I'll march in a local Memorial Day parade, carrying a flag of one of the 5 services. Not a Vet, just doing something to honor those who never returned.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just received a note from a rescue organization that highlighted the memorial sites for Military working dogs.
Brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited:
TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Memorial Day has a special meaning in my family. My Mom’s first husband was a Marine on Guadalcanal. He was killed on November 30, 1942 at the age of 22. He left behind my Mom and my two sisters, one two years old and the other eight days old. He is interred in the Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thinking of all who gave all. Dad's buried at Arlington, death combat related.

Mostly unrelated.. today my son and I will be attending the memorial service of his best friend from elementary school through high school. Hadn't seen him since our son started college but they stayed in touch. DeSean was killed May 18th, victim of community gun violence. We tried to keep him out of that crowd, almost had him in our scout troop but his mom was never around when we'd go by with the forms she had to sign to get him across the Viking Bridge officially.

More on topic, the military was probably the only real option this kid had to make it out. Many of our fallen soldiers had to make the same decision.. Props to all who chose that over the street life.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Took this photo tonight driving around the Salt Lake Valley, seemed to fit Memorial Day Weekend, rays of the sun were quite a bit more striking in real life:
flag memorial day weekend 27 may.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online