• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is the Hahnenkamm running this year? I don’t see it on the Alpine Canada tv schedule??

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the Hahnenkamm running this year? I don’t see it on the Alpine Canada tv schedule??
1610316620282.png

1610316646066.png

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My picks were better for the GS yesterday ogwink, way off for today’s SL. Some great racing in both runs with pretty contrasting sets.
Nice to see Ryding on the podium but sad for the journeyman Muffet-Jeandet who has skied the best SL of his career lately.
Yule & Matt both made a run for it in run 2 but too little, too late.
Luke Winters USA in the points.

394C3555-C558-4508-9825-7F0C5028EA72.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yule fastest in 2nd. It was much turnier than 1st, set by Swedish coach Ola. Didn't do Jacbsen any favors. He still linger just outside the better startgroup (8-16) in 17th. Was hoping for him to keep a little cooler and not aim for the podium at this stage. The better start group crucial as we move into the spring.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe Wengen is still not 100% afterall. Most of Austrian media stating it's going to be cancelled due high corona numbers on site. One DH might be rescheduled to Kvitfjell (will see how that will workout, considering all nordic WC races in Norway are cancelled or rescheduled for now), second DH and SL might be cancelled without replacement. But at least for now, there's no info from FIS yet regarding this.
But as I heard it's sort of mess. In Adelboden most of people were assured for anyone traveling from Adelboden to Wengen there's no PCR test required, yesterday this was changed, and as there's no result within less then day, it's going to be interesting considering tests will be done today in Wengen and tomorrow is already training, with most/all media and support teams being with no valid test yet, and therefore no accrediation tomorrow. Sort of typical Swiss thing I would say :)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
No official FIS info yet, but I guess it's game over for Wengen for this year:

SwissSkiTeam
@swissskiteam
Nach einer neuerlichen Analyse der aktuellen Covid-19-Lage in Wengen traf der Kt. Bern den Entscheid, die Lauberhornrennen abzusagen. Die Veranstalter, Swiss-Ski & die FIS stützen diese Massnahme u. bedanken sich bei den kant. Behörden für die gute Zusammenarbeit. #swissskiteam

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Wengen is still not 100% afterall...

I think this will be the norm this season, especially with numbers going up globally and more travel restrictions going into place.

And seeing this cancellation note from the Swiss Ski Team is quite sad but given the logistical challenges of rapid test results (especially rapid PCR test results) it's not surprising - just super disappointing to lose one of alpine skiing's monuments for the season.

Not a normal season, no matter how much we'd all like it to be.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No official FIS info yet, but I guess it's game over for Wengen for this year:

Translation:

"After a new analysis of the current Covid 19 situation in Wengen, the Canton of Bern made the decision to cancel the Lauberhorn races. The organizers, Swiss-Ski & the FIS support this measure and thank the kant. Authorities for the good cooperation."

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've been trading texts for the past couple of days with a few USST friends. Coaches. It's a mess. As much as nobody likes this, and would love to have a return to "normal", COVID is obviously a significant public health issue, and they are dealing with any number of government bodies. FIS has no real influence on this, other than making changes to the schedule. And, it is all subject to change on a dime.

One of my friends is about to leave for Europe for a slate of high level FIS races and EC's. And is now wondering {along with the team} as to whether it makes sense...at all.

The word two days ago was that there were multiple British tourist groups in Wengen during the holidays, and that at least one group {perhaps more} came and spread the virus....and the new variant first seen in the U.K.

I heard that "news"and thought, this is not good. Wengen is very small, and as others have noted, very remote, and it's a true Swiss treasure. So are the Lauberhorn races, which draw enormous crowds in a "normal" year. But in Switzerland, public health is very important.

Not surprised. And wondering about the rest of the season. I guess I can see any and all cancellations, though I hope not. I DO hope that they are able to run the FISWC's later in the season in Cortina.

BTW, a number of people working with and for the USST are not "loving" being away from home, and families, in Europe, as COVID surges. Makes you realize that the WC season is not truly as important as some think....including some fans.

On a minor scale, same issue her at home. It's not all that important. Try to have that discussion with the most intense of parents. Let the kids ski, train, and race on their home hills.....improve their overall performance. Point profiles, etc. can wait a year, IMO.

Aside from COVID, we're seeing a LOT of injuries. We do every season, but seems like a lot as of late.

Guess we'll see what happens...

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yule fastest in 2nd. It was much turnier than 1st, set by Swedish coach Ola. Didn't do Jacbsen any favors. He still linger just outside the better startgroup (8-16) in 17th. Was hoping for him to keep a little cooler and not aim for the podium at this stage. The better start group crucial as we move into the spring.
Yule and Matt T-1 in R2. Matt shows he still has it at least when it's turny. Was surprised to see Ryding in there given the R2 set but maybe that's his sweet spot.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
The Lauberhorn cancellation a bummer. I guess the remoteness worked against Wengen.

UPDATE: As of today, according to race organizers, all the DH's will be from the top and the new Hahnenkamm Start House.

Of course, weather could change these plans.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On a minor scale, same issue her at home. It's not all that important. Try to have that discussion with the most intense of parents. Let the kids ski, train, and race on their home hills.....improve their overall performance. Point profiles, etc. can wait a year, IMO.

Aside form COVID, we're seeing a LOT of injuries. We do every season, but seems like a lot as of late.

Guess we'll see what happens...

That emphasis is mine, and all I can say is HEAR HEAR!

That's what my team is doing this season. Yes, the athletes and their parents (mostly the latter) are truly worried about not racing this season. Some teams are caving in to this pressure, but my team is trying to emphasize how little time we have in a typical Mid Atlantic season to work on fundamentals. Typically we have two or three weekends before racing starts - and once races are a thing working on any technical corrections is essentially impossible.

And yes, lots of injuries. Alice McKennis Duran just recorded a podcast with Steve Porino and it addresses the apparent increase in injuries on the World Cup this year. It definitely seems like a lot, and so many things could be contributing to this. It's worthy of a more formal study, to be honest.

And this injury wave isn't limited to the top level. There are quite a few injuries happening in USSS divisions right now, and at a time when medical systems are stretched thin with the pandemic this isn't a good thing at all.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yule and Matt T-1 in R2. Matt shows he still has it at least when it's turny. Was surprised to see Ryding in there given the R2 set but maybe that's his sweet spot.

Yeah Matt fast too. Agree on Ryding. He is very steady but usually lacks the speed. A bit surprising.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hear 2x Hahnenkam instead. Extra SL in Kitz too, but pushed a couple of weeks. Not confirmed.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January